Sign in to follow this  
DeathCap

The Adventures of Thomas Palmer, Chapter 3: HMS Carolina

Chapter 3: HMS Carolina

Previous Chapters

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

HMS Carolina is a brig-rigged sloop of war. She carries 14 cannons. Her shallow draught makes her excellent for maneuvering closer to shore; however, this reduces the time she is able to spend at sea. HMS Carolina is loosely based on the real-life Cherokee class and Cruizer class brigs. 

52614013029_3cb1ee130e_b.jpg

52609759944_fc2cdd5b0a_b.jpg

52613754296_091465b452_b.jpg

52607589390_8526edc3aa_b.jpg

I fully intend on giving this ship to the royal navy with Thomas Palmer aboard. The commissioning board may rate her as they see fit. I recommend that HMS Carolina be rated as a class 4 or 5.

Story

Thomas Palmer, acting 2nd Lieutenant aboard HMS Carolina, carries out his duties as officer of the watch. Although the other ship's officers are not on watch, they take their place on HMS Carolina's puny quarterdeck since it is midday and they have nothing better to do. 

Palmer snaps: Mr. Boyle! Organize a swabbing party and get these decks clean!

Mr. Boyle, a Midshipman, scurries towards the quarterdeck and makes his obedience: Aye aye, sir

52604226374_cd5048635b_b.jpg

Whilst swabbing the decks, an unfortunate seaman knocks over a bucket in front of Mr. Boyle...

52604222864_aac03af2e7_b.jpg

Mr. Boyle, already moody due to not being able to pass the examination for lieutenant, ominously condemns the poor seaman.
You'll be sorry for this once I've spoken to Mr. Palmer.

52603470097_a2b7aeed01_b.jpgUntitled by DeathCap, on Flickr

With a great sigh, Palmer privately admonishes Mr. Boyle.
I'm sure it was an honest mistake, but that man will suffer horribly once the captain hears of this. Do not threaten to punish the men out loud, it forces my hand.

Soon enough, the entire ship's company is mustered to witness punishment.

52609833314_caab5e3559_b.jpg

Commander Palmer: This man is guilty of negligence and shall be punished according to the rules at sea.
One dozen, Mr. Holler (Bosun)

52609571686_ed9e036896_b.jpg

The crew was shocked, a dozen lashes was a savage punishment for such a small offense. If this keeps up, mutiny will begin brewing.
Mr. Holler: Aye aye sir, one dozen it is, string him up

52609571681_9fb83cbdc7_b.jpg

The punishment begins promptly. The bosun's cane makes a horrible sound as it makes contact with the seaman. Soon enough, blood falls onto the freshly cleaned deck.

52609069682_ec992a1238_b.jpg

52609833569_430d2cf0dc_b.jpg

Bosun: 12 all and done sir!
Very well, cut him down, announces the 1st Lieutenant

52610065408_db0f6f2b7c_b.jpg

With a yawn, Commander Palmer retires to his quarters
You take it from here Mr. Eccleston (1st Lieutenant) I have important business to attend to (a nap)

Aye aye, sir Mr. Eccleston hurriedly replies.
Mr. Calamy, call the surgeon and take him to the sick bay at once!

52610065578_ff28104b16_b.jpg

Edited by DeathCap

Interesting and true to life continuation of the story. :pir-huzzah1: This is a well built and beautiful custom hull ship! I like the details of the masts, sails, rigging and the upper deck with the guns and grating, Great and detailed photo story of the punishment. I wouldn't be surprised if the sailor joined the pirates.

No need to inquire why are there so many Sea Rats...

That navy is inhuman...

The Doctor Thaum and the Rats severely condemn this ( nice )MOC and grant political asylum to that poor sailor

On 1/28/2023 at 4:35 AM, Professor Thaum said:

The Doctor Thaum and the Rats severely condemn this ( nice )MOC and grant political asylum to that poor sailor

Haha I'm glad everyone liked this story.

If this sailor deserted and joined the Sea Rats, I have no doubt that Commander Palmer would search the seas just to flog him …or worse.

36 minutes ago, DeathCap said:

Haha I'm glad everyone liked this story.

If this sailor deserted and joined the Sea Rats, I have no doubt that Commander Palmer would search the seas just to flog him …or worse.

It could be that Commander Palmer has this MRCA an encounter with Commodore Kane's merchant fleet! :devil_laugh:  

Edited by NOD

What a great ship, I love the detailed decks and the nicely curved bow.  Intense story too, nice job bringing it to life with the minifigure posing!  I also am impressed by your sails, they have a really good curve on them, are they made out of paper?  I've never gotten my paper to look quite so natural!

27 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

I also am impressed by your sails, they have a really good curve on them, are they made out of paper?  I've never gotten my paper to look quite so natural!

Yes, this is the first ship with paper sails. I think they are much easier to make than cloth sails and they look better than the cloth sails I made.

To get more natural-looking paper sails, I would recommend cutting half-ovals at the bottom of the sails. Let me know if you would like more tips!

21 hours ago, DeathCap said:

To get more natural-looking paper sails, I would recommend cutting half-ovals at the bottom of the sails. Let me know if you would like more tips!

Well, I build a ship every decade, more or less, but I will mentally file that tip away for future reference. :pir_laugh2:

Lovely looking ship! And that poor sailor! 

If I were him, I'd definitely take up on Thaum his offer, can't have cruelty like that!

Big fan of the rigging, the paper sails really do add a nice touch to the ship!

Very nice ship and i like the story also very much, good to see some realism into our childrens toys sometimes :laugh_hard: great one.

@DeathCap

The HMS Carolina has been licensed for the Crown of Corrington, and 60 dbs has been transferred for the build. It is also our pleasure to confirm the commission of (formerly acting) lieutenant Thomas Palmer as second upon the HMS Carolina.

I also really like the moc and give it a clear :thumbup: for GoC. You have achieved a nice hull shape with the half stud offset increments in width, although it does give clear steps. For future builds, it may be interesting to experiment with hinges or perhaps bend bricks. Your rigging is nice too, although there are a few "irish pennants" (uncut loose ends of string), that you may consider removing for future builds. Overall, though, there are a lot of excellent details in the rigging, and this is a great brig moc! I wish her all the best in her adventures across the Brick Seas! She will serve the Royal Navy well!