Sign in to follow this  
jonwil

Minifig scale older US fighter ideas?

Does anyone know of any ideas (or better yet designs that I can copy) for minifig scale US fighters from Vietnam or earlier (e.g. P-51, F-4, older stuff)?

And by "minifig scale" I mean "would look OK next to the jets from https://brickset.com/sets/60103-1/Airport-Air-Show"

I have 3 copies of the twin tail jet from that set re-colored to represent F/A-18 Hornets and now for the MOC I am doing I need something older I can build to round things out.

I think some of the stuff from the 1950's would work. Maybe the F-4D Skyray, F-7 Cutlass, F-11 Tiger, or F-86 Sabre.

I was more looking for existing LEGO MOCs I could take inspiration from (or even copy or recolor if need be) that might look good so I don't need to try and figure out how to design one from scratch.

After some thinking and some looking at official sets (and MOCs) for inspiration I have come up with an idea for the wings of a P-51 (the plane I really want for my MOC) so that's a good start. Set 6745 Propeller Power in particular has given me some good ideas. (although the Mustang has an inline V12 Merlin engine and not the 8-cylindar rotary engine the set has)

Edited by jonwil

Thanks for the instructions, I will have to see if I can acquire all the parts or not (I know I am missing the windscreen for one thing) and maybe build one and then see how it looks alongside my F/A-18 hornets (and how it compares to mine). If I do end up building it (or a modified version), I will try and remember to post photos in here :)

21 hours ago, jonwil said:

Thanks for the instructions, I will have to see if I can acquire all the parts or not (I know I am missing the windscreen for one thing) and maybe build one and then see how it looks alongside my F/A-18 hornets (and how it compares to mine). If I do end up building it (or a modified version), I will try and remember to post photos in here :)

:) have fun

Managed to acquire the windscreen today from my favorite local parts seller and I had all the rest of the parts except the dark bley 1 x 1 down pointing brackets (which I swapped to black, couldn't find any at said local seller) and the 1 x 1 tile with cross pattern (which I substituted with a second copy of the 1 x 1 tile with buttons pattern, also couldn't find any at said local seller).

Its a very nice plane but its a little on the large side compared to the F/A-18 Hornets (which are loosely based off the twin-tail airplane from set 60103) but maybe I can do something with it in my MOC...

i use to build taking as fact that the minifigure is 180 cm height ... then i find the blueprints and adjust to that so the final model is as accurate in dimentions i can make ...