Sign in to follow this  
CaptainDarkNStormy

Ahoy Mateys! (New User Here)

Hello everyone! I’ve posted my introduction on the newbie forum but figured I’d make another one here since Pirates was the motivation for me to sign up for Eurobricks. My name is CaptainDarkNStormy and I’ve been a member on the Classic Pirates Facebook group for a bit now and love being inspired by other people’s work.

I’m an avid Lego Pirates enthusiast. I got most of the original 1989 sets as a kid, and luckily I still have them. (Thanks mom!) Anyways I recently got back into Lego during the pandemic and enjoyed building the classic sets with my son. We moved into a bigger house last year that allowed me to kit out a proper Lego room. My main focus since then has been building MOCs. So far I’ve mainly taken inspiration from the original sets but I intend to start getting bolder and more creative.

Below is some of my work:

52648379996_b0c0d56fbe_c.jpgIMG_5194 by Chris Boyd, on Flickr

52356475434_e41095639a_c.jpgSabre Island Octagon by Chris Boyd, on Flickr

51631655545_66977a98a8_c.jpgShipwreck Island 2 2 by Chris Boyd, on Flickr

I look forward to contributing to this community!

Cheers,

CaptainDarkNStormy

My Flickr

My Insta

Excellent work. I recognize all the sets that inspired your MOCs. They are all all well made and instantly recognizable to those who know the sets. I look forward to more from you!

EKnight

10 minutes ago, Elephant Knight said:

Excellent work. I recognize all the sets that inspired your MOCs. They are all all well made and instantly recognizable to those who know the sets. I look forward to more from you!

EKnight

Thank you!!!

8 hours ago, CaptainDarkNStormy said:

Hello everyone! I’ve posted my introduction on the newbie forum but figured I’d make another one here since Pirates was the motivation for me to sign up for Eurobricks. My name is CaptainDarkNStormy and I’ve been a member on the Classic Pirates Facebook group for a bit now and love being inspired by other people’s work.

Welcome aboard CaptainDarkNStory - thank you for joining our humble forum! :pir-huzzah2:

You have some fantastic modern updates to classic LEGO Pirate sets - do you have plans to update more sets in the future?

All sets that I had back in the day as well!

Welcome aboard, sir, and well done!  You're off to a great start!  I especially like the water and the raised bases that you've made.  The boat with your Saber Island reminds me of when I used to pair my Harbor Sentry with the island.  I didn't get a large non-pirate set until the redcoat trading post came out.

Edited by Cousarmy0001

9 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Welcome aboard CaptainDarkNStory - thank you for joining our humble forum! :pir-huzzah2:

You have some fantastic modern updates to classic LEGO Pirate sets - do you have plans to update more sets in the future?

Thanks, and yes I do have such plans!

8 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

All sets that I had back in the day as well!

Welcome aboard, sir, and well done!  You're off to a great start!  I especially like the water and the raised bases that you've made.  The boat with your Saber Island reminds me of when I used to pair my Harbor Sentry with the island.  I didn't get a large non-pirate set until the redcoat trading post came out.

I had the Trading Post too! One of my favs.

10 minutes ago, Fraunces said:

Excellent work! Welcome and hopefully many more classic remake builds will come! 

Thank you!!!

20 hours ago, CaptainDarkNStormy said:

Below is some of my work:

These are all lovely updates, modern but simple just like the original.

I love the stairs on the Forbidden Island! :pir-thumb:(take a mental note to steal that technique) 

So what was your process with these sets? First digital design, I presume Studio.io and then real build?

Fine work indeed, welcome to our cove! :pir-devil:

Are ye planning of doing separate topics for these MOCs in the future?

Wow yeah, i love your recreations of the old sets! I had them all when i was a kid and your mocs are instantly recognizable :thumbup:

11 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

Or to expand upon this question further...  Are there more images of these MOCs beyond those shared in the first post?

Welcome to the forums @CaptainDarkNStormy! I immediately recognized your work from the CP FB Group (and maybe I've seen them on Instagram too...?)!

I'm a big fan of reimaginings of classic Pirates sets with modern building techniques. Being primarily a classic Pirates set collector myself, its the MOCs that harken back to the originals (either in style and aesthetic or in concept) are some of my absolute favorites. You've done a fantastic job of capturing the essence of the originals with your fantastic recreations.

On 1/26/2023 at 12:44 PM, Marooned Marin said:

These are all lovely updates, modern but simple just like the original.

I love the stairs on the Forbidden Island! :pir-thumb:(take a mental note to steal that technique) 

So what was your process with these sets? First digital design, I presume Studio.io and then real build?

Steal away lol. I got the technique from the Boutique Hotel modular set and made a few tweaks.

I typically use studio.io and physical bricks alongside each other during the design process. The actual bricks help me visualize better, especially in the early stages. I travel frequently for work so I'll do some work on studio.io while I'm away. I'm currently working on instructions for Forbidden Island. That's always the most tedious part.

On 1/26/2023 at 3:47 PM, Jack Sassy said:

Fine work indeed, welcome to our cove! :pir-devil:

13 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Or to expand upon this question further...  Are there more images of these MOCs beyond those shared in the first post?

Yes and Yes.

There are more photos on my Instagram and Flickr pages!

I plan to do separate topics for these MOCs but first I'd like to take more (and better quality) photos. My DSLR has a problem with the shutter so I need to get that fixed and I need a better place than our kitchen countertop. Anybody got a light box recommendation?

4 hours ago, PxChris said:

Welcome to the forums @CaptainDarkNStormy! I immediately recognized your work from the CP FB Group (and maybe I've seen them on Instagram too...?)!

I'm a big fan of reimaginings of classic Pirates sets with modern building techniques. Being primarily a classic Pirates set collector myself, its the MOCs that harken back to the originals (either in style and aesthetic or in concept) are some of my absolute favorites. You've done a fantastic job of capturing the essence of the originals with your fantastic recreations.

Thanks! I share your same thoughts about improving the classics with modern techniques. I plan to do more!

Welcome, I love your MOCs, I’ve seen them all on Fb but tbh this forum is so much better to archive stuff like this, so I’m happy you joined us here :) 

What’s your fav set you created out of the ones you presented above?

47 minutes ago, zinnn said:

Welcome, I love your MOCs, I’ve seen them all on Fb but tbh this forum is so much better to archive stuff like this, so I’m happy you joined us here :) 

What’s your fav set you created out of the ones you presented above?

Thanks for the compliments!

Forbidden Island is my fave so far. The size of it really gave me room to add plenty of lush tropical greenery. It has the look and feel of a proper Caribbean island to me.

On 1/27/2023 at 10:26 PM, CaptainDarkNStormy said:

Anybody got a light box recommendation?

See this thread here - page 11 - scroll until you hit the same question. 

Looking forward to your Separate topics, especially Forbidden Island! :pir-triumph:

2 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

See this thread here - page 11 - scroll until you hit the same question. 

Looking forward to your Separate topics, especially Forbidden Island! :pir-triumph:

Thanks for the tip. I'll get on Amazon for that lightbox!

I'll put up a proper post for Forbidden Island probably week after next. What you saw was Version 1.0. I've already decided to make a few tweaks to it and per the request of my 6yo son, I'm adding a small cave under the rock stairs to hide a treasure chest! Once it's all cleanly done I'll take some better quality photos!