Themiddlebrick

[moc] Classic space u-wing UT-928D Galaxy Transporter, alternate build of 10947 Galaxy Explorer

I wanted to present my alternate build for set 10947 Galaxy Explorer, I call it the UT-928D Galaxy Transporter!

52643608437_37323c04d0_c_d.jpg

I wanted to create something for the Classic Space competition here and ever since I built my copy of 10497 with its dual windscreens I had this idea to make a classic space version of my favorite Star Wars ship the U-Wing. However, once I got started I realized with the size of the canopies staying within the 40 stud limit would be impossible while retaining the sleek proportions of the U-wing.

52644372399_d5bb7ef2ca_c_d.jpg

So I changed from the limitations set by the rules of the contest to keeping it an alternate build, using only pieces found in set 10497. With a secondary goal of retaining the most important features of the U-Wing - 4 large aft mounted engines, sweeping wings (or s-foils), a cockpit with full 180 forward visibility (or the ability for pilot to see straight down) and accessible cargo/passenger space. I'm happy to say I was able to meet all these goals, although in order to stabilize the mechanism for opening the cargo bay doors I had to add one 1L axle/pin and two 2L axle/pins each for stability/friction. I justified this by thinking most people will have these in their collection anyways and it was important that the doors actually stay shut!

52644372409_77dd77627e_c_d.jpg

I feel pretty good about how this turned out given the restrictions of the set pieces and the design of the ship. I just managed to pick up a second copy for %50 off though and I'm already thinking about how I could use it to make a "UCS" version! But for now I will let this one take up a place of pride on the shelf and move onto other projects!

52644557930_b61df78079_c_d.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed looking and thank you for reading this far! Please let me know if you have any questions.

52644738980_c692bcdba4_c_d.jpg

And yes instructions are available on rebrickable, you can just search my user name or UT-928D there to find them!

Wow, this is fantastic! I can hardly imagine a better Classic Space version of the U-wing, or a better alternate build of 10497.

2 hours ago, icm said:

Wow, this is fantastic! I can hardly imagine a better Classic Space version of the U-wing, or a better alternate build of 10497.

Thanks so much! It's my first real alternate build so that means a lot. Though to be fair you couldn't ask for a better set, there are so many useful pieces in there it definitely made the job easier!

Very, very cool! The U-Wing is one of the few recent SW designs that I really liked, and it looks great in CS colors!

2 hours ago, danth said:

Very, very cool! The U-Wing is one of the few recent SW designs that I really liked, and it looks great in CS colors!

Not even the Razor Crest, TIE Striker, the Fondor Hauler? To each their own!

Thanks so much for the kind words, I had a lot of fun with this one the set is an absolute joy to work with because of the part and color selection!

17 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Veru cool, I really like the underside with that windscreen oriented upside down! :wub:

Thanks so much! I wish I could take credit. I had to modify the technique a bit to make it work with the parts in 10497 but the original idea is from the excellent LEGO u-wing set. 

Very cool CS to SW crossover ship! The U-wing design makes a worthy ship for the treatment and I love the engines, plus windscreen integration. Also, your post photo editing skills are on point! I can't wait to show you my crossover and see what you think :). Not a U-wing though!

5 hours ago, Brickshipyard said:

Very cool CS to SW crossover ship! The U-wing design makes a worthy ship for the treatment and I love the engines, plus windscreen integration. Also, your post photo editing skills are on point! I can't wait to show you my crossover and see what you think :). Not a U-wing though!

Thanks so much! I've been working hard on improving my photography so that is really nice to hear! Looking forward to see what you have planned! This definitely has me thinking about more SW CS crossovers

On 1/25/2023 at 7:45 AM, Operacion Saturno said:

Love the meteorite on the background.

Haha thanks, I wanted something in the background that wasn't too distracting...planet, no too obvious...hmmm what else is there? Meteorite! :laugh: