AD_Bricks

School project survey - LEGO shelves - Please help me out!

Hey there! I'm in the middle of working on a large project for school - one where we're almost completely free to do whatever we want for it. I've chosen to develop an all-encompassing and ideal design for animal-, UV- and dust-protected customisable and situation-adjustable LEGO collection shelves for optimal displaying of sets and models in an aesthetically pleasing and space-efficient way. 

I'd certainly appreciate it if you took the time to fill it out for me, as I'll need data from the target audience in order to make and refine the best possible design for everybody. 

https://forms.office.com/r/Lur7XaqnhE 

(If some of the wording doesn't seem right in this, please note that this is just a copy-pasted message that hasn't been context-adjusted.) 

(Side note: the project is merely to develop the design, and no shelves are actually being sold here.)

It might be worth adding some questions for internal electrification (e.g. USB ports for turntables and lighting kits) and labeling/ displaying plaques. Personally, if I were ever to purchase a custom shelf, I'd also look for customizeability by ways of having ramps to display models at an angle or being able to have custom inserts that can fit into standard pattern holes like on professional exhibition showcases in museums...

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium

Thanks for all the responses, everybody!

11 hours ago, Mylenium said:

It might be worth adding some questions for internal electrification (e.g. USB ports for turntables and lighting kits) and labeling/ displaying plaques. Personally, if I were ever to purchase a custom shelf, I'd also look for customizeability by ways of having ramps to display models at an angle or being able to have custom inserts that can fit into standard pattern holes like on professional exhibition showcases in museums...

Mylenium

Thank you for the feedback; I'll take this into account. It might not be feasible to have all of these, but I really like the ideas.

14 hours ago, AD_Bricks said:

all-encompassing and ideal design for animal-, UV- and dust-protected customisable and situation-adjustable LEGO collection shelves for optimal displaying of sets and models in an aesthetically pleasing and space-efficient way

Wow. Is there any budget restriction? An electronics clean room facility may be one route ... dust, animals, and UV gone. Just put the shelves (with no further protection) up as required. Access through a clean room lock only ...

I am just kidding :pir-laugh:

But again: What is your targeted cost on this project?

All the best,
Thorsten 

22 hours ago, Toastie said:

Wow. Is there any budget restriction? An electronics clean room facility may be one route ... dust, animals, and UV gone. Just put the shelves (with no further protection) up as required. Access through a clean room lock only ...

I am just kidding :pir-laugh:

But again: What is your targeted cost on this project?

All the best,
Thorsten 

The project is super vague, it doesn't have that sort of limit; people are doing things like preparing for marathons, lol.

My personal goal, since it is customisable and is intended to have components (like lighting or the coloured inserts) that are optional to be able to cut costs (but that depends on how many people want each one), is for as many members of the target audience to have the ability to make it fit their budget. If there's a super expensive feature that's totally worth it that I haven't considered, and if a good portion of the people would have room in their budget for it, I might decide to include it as an option for those people. So, although I know it was a joke, a clean room probably wouldn't be feasible for more than one person who'd potentially get these shelves :laugh:

UV, dust, and animals are more room controlled factors, than the type of material or features built into the shelf.

Unless you go Mad-Engineer and build into the shelf directly fans + air filters for the dust, motorized blinds for the UV, and electric circuit or proximity alarm to scare away animals...

Alright, so this is serious :D

Now getting rid of UV, dust, animal's stuff (two cats and one dog living here in the house ;) + no dedicated room = restricts you to "enclosures", right?

Best,
Thorsten

@LegendaryArticuno sorry, was 2 minutes late I guess.

Edited by Toastie

In all honestly, I would advise against this idea. Not sure what the initial objective or grading criteria is, but a sustainability project would probably net an easier and higher score.

I.e. shelf made out of biodegradable materials, that can be easily collapsed, transported and reassembled for use cases like disaster sites but aesthetic enough to use at home.

Looking at your survey now, shelves with glass doors are simply cabinets...

9 hours ago, LegendaryArticuno said:

I.e. shelf made out of biodegradable materials, that can be easily collapsed, transported and reassembled for use cases like disaster sites but aesthetic enough to use at home.

Good idea! IKEA's "LACK" shelves (as well as many of their LACK products including tables, cabinets, etc.) are pointing (a bit) into that direction: They appear to be made from 4 cm thick solid material. But they are just hollow structures with rather thin walls, here and there reinforced with 1 cm thick particle board (mostly on the sides). The hollow sections are stabilized with paper folded-up into a honeycomb structure. And as these are basically filled with 95% air, very lightweight but at the same time extremely stable. The moment you want to affix something to these elements, you are essentially restricted to the particle board sections, which is less fun :pir-laugh:

Best of luck with the project, @AD_Bricks!

Thorsten   

On 1/24/2023 at 9:56 AM, LegendaryArticuno said:

UV, dust, and animals are more room controlled factors, than the type of material or features built into the shelf.

Unless you go Mad-Engineer and build into the shelf directly fans + air filters for the dust, motorized blinds for the UV, and electric circuit or proximity alarm to scare away animals...

It wouldn't be feasible to want to fully solve those issues, but adding doors and such certainly help significantly.

On 1/24/2023 at 10:50 AM, LegendaryArticuno said:

In all honestly, I would advise against this idea. Not sure what the initial objective or grading criteria is, but a sustainability project would probably net an easier and higher score.

They put a lot of emphasis on it being connected to one's "personal interests", and I've gained approval from teachers, so I reckon it's pretty much the kind of thing they want, especially considering what some others are doing.

On 1/24/2023 at 10:50 AM, LegendaryArticuno said:

Looking at your survey now, shelves with glass doors are simply cabinets...

They definitionally fit "shelving", even if calling it a cabinet makes it clearer what one is talking about, but if glass doors are only an option in the end, the base product would definitely just be a set of shelves.

20 hours ago, Toastie said:

Best of luck with the project, @AD_Bricks!

46 minutes ago, A_Forest_of_Lego said:

I filled your survey. Good luck with your project!

Thank you all very much!

I reckon I have enough responses at this point, so I'll probably close the survey. Big thanks to everyone who helped me out!

On 1/22/2023 at 10:10 AM, AD_Bricks said:

Hey there! I'm in the middle of working on a large project for school - one where we're almost completely free to do whatever we want for it. I've chosen to develop an all-encompassing and ideal design for animal-, UV- and dust-protected customisable and situation-adjustable LEGO collection shelves for optimal displaying of sets and models in an aesthetically pleasing and space-efficient way. 

I'd certainly appreciate it if you took the time to fill it out for me, as I'll need data from the target audience in order to make and refine the best possible design for everybody. 

https://forms.office.com/r/Lur7XaqnhE 

(If some of the wording doesn't seem right in this, please note that this is just a copy-pasted message that hasn't been context-adjusted.) 
I haven’t worked on similar projects myself, but it would be fun and interesting for me if I ventured into such an exciting creative zone. Can you tell us more about what data you need about your target audience? At the end you can find homework help to check everything, you can use mysupergeek.com/ for this. In general, I would like to work for the Lego company. I'm just a fan of the designer. Probably everyone has such a dream and I’m not the only one.
(Side note: the project is merely to develop the design, and no shelves are actually being sold here.)

What kind of school project is this? everyone would like this.

Edited by ellencarnallajya99