LM71Blackbird

[COR - FB - Royal] Quinnsville Royal Arsenal

Quinnsville Royal Arsenal

At the onset of the war on Terraversa, Mayor Richford Brickford of Quinnsville recognized a severe deficiency in small arms manufacturing across the Colonies. Beside the small local gunsmiths and larger Cannon Foundries, there is no other way for Corrington's growing military in the far reaches of the empire to procure new rifles for which to hold Her Majesties Protectorates, then to await deliveries from the Mainland. 

Work began almost immediately, and although the war on Terraversa ended much sooner then expected, the brave boys in red were soon shipping off to new theaters. This made the need for a more central Royal Arsenal a top priority.

52634729043_1ef884de51_b.jpgQuinnsville Royal Arsenal by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

The newly erected facility consists of three buildings:  

Firstly in the back is a new shot tower, giving Quinnsville the capacity to manufacture plenty of shot along with the shot tower built in early 620. The first load of shot is already being loaded on wagons for transport to the harbor.

52634683325_5cf7db41f2_b.jpg5.3 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Next, the barracks building houses a company of the 1st Fusiliers, Quinnsville oldest stationed unit. Plenty of room for bunks, supplies and gear.

52634728993_5b5e93a22f_b.jpg5.5 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

52634246086_661868bbee_b.jpg5.6 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

The real craftsmanship is housed in the small arms factory. First the raw metal ingots are delivered by wagon. Compacted sand molds are also brought in from local sources. 

52634729013_70f2f9cc5f_b.jpg5.4 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Next, the ingots are melted in two roaring furnaces.

52634503974_d4469632df_b.jpg5.7 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

When the metal is heated sufficiently, a worker carefully pours the molten metal into the molds.

52634246041_dd39185823_b.jpg5.8 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Once the metal has cooled and solidified, the molds are broken off and the solid rods are stored in boxes.

52634728943_06249025ba_b.jpg5.9 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

The rods are cleaned up and the outsides are smoothed for the rest of the process.

52634246006_9ed3cb8c82_b.jpg5.10 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

The rods are then clamped to a table and a craftsman carefully drills out the center to the diameter of whatever caliber rifle is being produced.

52634728903_e4ca40e2ce_b.jpg5.11 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Finally, skilled craftsman complete the final tooling required on the barrel needed to mount it to a wooden stock.

52634728883_0c094b560e_b.jpg5.12 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Before long, Quinnsville Arsenal branded rifles with strike fear in the hearts of Corrington's enemies both near and far!

--------------------------------------

Overview on entire manufacturing process:

Spoiler

52634503889_67f304a3ef_b.jpg5.13 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

---------------------------------------

After much work, and some discussion on discord about getting some building done, I present my Royal Arsenal.

~14000 pieces

Stud count = 10,000 (100X100 studs)

Upon approval (@Ayrlego, @Bregir. I can take care of the paperwork as well), to be licensed as a Royal Factory for the Crown in Quinnsville. C&C are welcome and appreciated and thanks for looking!

Edited by LM71Blackbird

You scurvy dog, you beat me to it. :pir-grin: (Something like this has been on my build list for... several years now...)

Fantastic layout. I like the overall view and the interiors look great, especially the floor patterns. And of course the detailed work stations are nice.

I really appreciate the effort you put into the boring assemblies. Excellent work all around!

Edited by Captain Dee

Love your technique with those little drawers, though I guess it wouldn't work in a world with gravity :pir-grin:  Great floor pattern too and overall an excellent MOC!

On 1/18/2023 at 6:13 PM, Captain Dee said:

You scurvy dog, you beat me to it. :pir-grin: (Something like this has been on my build list for... several years now...)

Fantastic layout. I like the overall view and the interiors look great, especially the floor patterns. And of course the detailed work stations are nice.

I really appreciate the effort you put into the boring assemblies. Excellent work all around!

Ha! I too have had it on my todo list for quite some time!

Thanks, I really like how the floors turned out.

I'm sure I missed a few steps, but I wanted to include as much as small would allow. I'm glad the effort paid off!

On 1/19/2023 at 12:35 AM, Kai NRG said:

Love your technique with those little drawers, though I guess it wouldn't work in a world with gravity :pir-grin:  Great floor pattern too and overall an excellent MOC!

Thanks! You could always use the Ayrlego method and use a bit of blue tac!

12 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Once again an amazing digital one.

Well done !

Thanks Professor!

A great build! I've been in some industrial-era landscapes recently, and the clean lines are totally appropriate. Nice work

I like the different buildings. The interior is interesting, detailed and impressive. I like to see the different work processes during production. The interior of the barracks building is also very interesting. :pir-triumph:

Edited by NOD

On 1/20/2023 at 4:17 AM, Ross Fisher said:

A great build! I've been in some industrial-era landscapes recently, and the clean lines are totally appropriate. Nice work

Thanks! I was at first going t o make it more grassy for the courtyard, but after looking at some pictures of the Royal Arsenal in Woolwich, I opted for the clean line look. Definitely happy with it!

On 1/20/2023 at 11:42 AM, NOD said:

I like the different buildings. The interior is interesting, detailed and impressive. I like to see the different work processes during production. The interior of the barracks building is also very interesting. :pir-triumph:

Thanks NOD! I tired to replicate the process as close as I could. Glad you like it!

Great Royal LM71! As others have commented the highlight for me is the detail you put into the processes. I especially like the worker pouring the molten metal into the mould for the musket barrel and the way you have depicted the shattered clay moulds in the next picture. Well done!

1 hour ago, Ayrlego said:

I especially like the worker pouring the molten metal into the mould for the musket barrel and the way you have depicted the shattered clay moulds in the next picture. Well done!

Agreed - thanks a favorite for me too!

3 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Great Royal LM71! As others have commented the highlight for me is the detail you put into the processes. I especially like the worker pouring the molten metal into the mould for the musket barrel and the way you have depicted the shattered clay moulds in the next picture. Well done!

Thank you! I tried to replicate as many processes as I could. Glad you like it!

1 hour ago, evancelt said:

Agreed - thanks a favorite for me too!

Thanks!