brickhead_07

Unusual/illegal building techniques

Do you use or know any unusual or unofficial building techniques that other people may not know?

This topic is suppost to be for MOC builders like me and many others here on Eurobricks. Maybe you have some cool building techniques that could be useable! I don't call these techniques "illegal" because I don't understand why they should be illegal.

It would be great if maybe some people could take inspiration for building their own MOCs here. 

That flexible square is a nice one, I hadn't seen that before. It seems many of the illegal techniques exist to get non-90 degree angles or continuous curves and not surprisingly find applications in round / cylindrical / non-square towers.

1 hour ago, brickhead_07 said:

I don't call these techniques "illegal" because I don't understand why they should be illegal.

They are illegal in the sense that they are not recommended as they can damage parts. Although like in real life, there are different scales of illegality. Some you can get away with fine, whereas others are more likely to lead to cracks.

IMHO, "illegal" techniques is something of a misnomer.  What makes them "illegal"?   Also, if TLG uses the techniques in their build of official models/sets, how can they be described as "illegal"?   Lastly, in real life, building with real materials it is often advisable to build in such a manner that some materials or elements are stressed, just not to their breaking points.  Lego is the same.  I have built a number of items that although use "illegal techniques" are actually BETTER, stronger build because the elements in question strengthen the overall model when parts are being used against themselves to strengthen the overall model/build.  

An example might be a recent modification to 42145 I did where I closed the backend, where the motor previously was sticking out, of the model.  Used two long angled panels (as can be seen at 38" into the video) I closed the backend where the end of the panels actually supported the tail by pushing up ever so slightly.  As reviewers have noted, the tail of this model is weak and flimsy, so this was a big improvement.  Would be considered "illegal" because the panels do touch other elements, but in this case it improves the model.  

Also there is no shortage of Lego bridges made, where there are "illegal" bending techniques, but add to strength in a build because of the strength inherent in arches and other angles.    Built a bridge hanging over my Lego room where if it were not for "illegal" techniques this build would not have been possible.  No elements were damaged here: 

I used an illegal technique to reverse the orientation of the mod in the build below. Specifically, I used blue Technic pins to turn a couple of anti-stud surfaces into studded ones. It's illegal because the pins don't go all the way through and are therefore stressed. But I'm not too worried because:

1. Even if the pins eventually break, I have loads of spares. Besides, they're readily available very cheaply on the secondary market and likely always will be.
  2. I have designed it so that the pins are easily accessed. I hardly have to do any deconstruction to get to them.
  3. There is no structural dependency on the pins. If they break, gravity will keep the build together anyway. I would need to turn it upside down for it to fall apart, and I don't intended to ever turn it over.
  4. It's not hard to remember or figure out where the pins are. 

If you follow the four principles above (spare parts, access, no structural dependency and minimal required record keeping), you should be fine regardless of what illegal technique you use.

beholder.jpg  

I could not care less about "illegal" techniques. Nothing in ABS world is "illegal" - and I may quote Blues Brothers - "If the shit fits the pants, wear it".

It is ABS. Plastic. Stressed or not: Just make "it" happen. And if "it" breaks: There is plenty of more. It is plastic - as in: Garbage bags. OK, that stuff is not ABS, but who cares?

I drill holes where there should be holes, because I need them and they don't make them; I cut nobs, glue things - all because TLG does simply not make it. Too many times I waited for a piece to suddenly materialize. Because the Gods of ABS decided to do so. And when they did - in a period covering more than 60 years, I was happy. And then, after a few thoughts, I realized: Hey, I can do that myself :pir-laugh:.

So play well, do what you feel is legal. I have my power tools all lined up - to make it happen.

All the best,
Thorsten

I do my best to be legal. I do a lot of extra thinking trying to come up with something that will work. But, somtimes there just isn't a "legal"way to get it done. So like Toastie, I just do what I have to, to make it work. I cut things, glue things, make parts, whatever is needed. I'm not waiting for TLG to manufacture what I need. So do what you want and keep playing well!!!!

Don't have 32 x 32 light gray baseplate or do you need an odd size baseplate? Have a ton of spare 48 x 48's laying around? I just break out "the Blade of Exact-Zero" and cut to fit!

2 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

I just break out "the Blade of Exact-Zero" and cut to fit!

I'm not alone anymore!!! :pir-wink:

Well, I have/had quite a few old road baseplates, the green variety. As TLG, smart as they are, changed the layout of these baseplates quite a number of times (to our best of course, and maybe to accommodate the ever-increasing size of their cars, but who knows), and, as I simply had to make decisions - about 15 years ago - area is limited up here in my attic, the greens went "out". Later I needed some low profile 2xalot basestrips (rather than plates ...). You get quite a lot of these strips with that Exact-Zero :pir-stareyes: blade  - and the remaining, very smooth and rather thin "road" plate is perfect building material in combination with superglue, the gel variety.

No, I am not a purist. Gave that up about ... 20 years ago. When I tried it the first time, I had Johnny Mandel's song running in the back - first because I love it, and second because I thought something very bad will happen, when I cut this piece of ABS ... actually it was worse: "cutting and hollowing out" ...

Spoiler

Be rest assured: NOTHING happened! It just went through. And after hollowing out, I had an almost "perfect" 2x4 LEGO ABS "frame" in my hands. Yellow and true (old) dark gray, not the bluish stuff.

Encouraged by this totally illegal "technique", I took out the road plates. Looked very carefully, closed my eyes, selected the Exact Zero Sword and ...

The sword of time will pierce our skins
It doesn't hurt when it begins
But as it works its way on in
The pain grows stronger, watch it grin

No - pain - at - all! A little sanding with (German scale) 800 whatever paper - and - I had the first 2x32 base strip of this universe in my hands. I felt like being in Billund - creating new pieces, the world really needs. Wait, here it is: :sarcasm_smug:. :pir-huzzah2:

@Murdoch17 Exact Zero blade - that made my day! Thank you!

All the best, and yes, don't take any of this seriously: I am a chemist.

Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

@Toastie I cannot claim the fame of naming The Blade of Exact-Zero... that came from the first Lego Movie, along with Kragle (KRAzy GLuE), the Fleece Scepter of Que-Tep (Q-Tip) and the Polish Remover of Neil (Nail Polish Remover) and many others. (The latter items two remove prints from Lego, and actually can melt it if not applied right!) I also have someone in my family cut the baseplates. my hands shake too much for me to dare doing so myself!

Also, that song actually was, believe it or not, written by a then-14 year old, (I think the son of the film's director?) and he made more money than the director did, thanks to the subsequent use of the song in the M*A*S*H television show as end and opening credits. Fun fact: there are three sequel series that were made about M*A*S*H after the original series ended: "Trapper John, M.D.", "After M*A*SH", and "W*A*L*T*E*R"... and yes, I looked all this up to confirm!

*Yes, I did those names from memory. (They might not be spelled right, but neither were they said right in the movie!)

Edited by Murdoch17

3 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

I cannot claim the fame of naming The Blade of Exact-Zero

But you made me "smiling" about it - maybe a little more than smiling. I know that everything has most probably being said or thought "everywhere" - just imagine the Infinite Improbability Drive - but someone (you) has pointed my nose to it. I am very thankful for that pointing. The original source is wonderful to know, I would have never found it, though.

Whoever wrote, sang or performed that song - is ... not that much important (to me). It is deeply and securely put away in my brain. And is readily available. You know, students as well as many more people (of course) not studying Chemistry suffer a lot these days, and maybe, or very probably, since much longer.

Thank you again - but let's not derail this thread more than we did. Hmm. On the other hand: I like derailing :pir-skel:

Sincerely,
Thorsten

On 1/18/2023 at 5:11 PM, brickhead_07 said:

don't understand why they should be illegal.

They are in the sense that they put stress on the plastic and affect stability of the models. Whether you care about that in any way is of course entirely up to you. I do to a certain extent, but that's just my engineering mindset shaped by my work bleeding into my hobby, I guess.

Mylenium

On 1/18/2023 at 6:41 PM, nerdsforprez said:

Also, if TLG uses the techniques in their build of official models/sets, how can they be described as "illegal"?

They rarely do, though, and when they do, they're quick to declare it an unfortunate accident.

Mylenium

Just a question: When is a building technique considered to be illegal?

- When the producer does it (TLG)
- When the consumer does it (we)

Cause  lot of these socalled illegal connections are use by Lego themselves and thus imho not illegal.

Edited by JaBaCaDaBra

6 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Just a question: When is a building technique considered to be illegal?

- When the producer does it (TLG)
- When the consumer does it (we)

Cause  lot of these socalled illegal connections are use by Lego themselves and thus imho not illegal.

- When it stresses a part beyond what it should be.

LEGO have used illegal techniques occasionally.  Personally I don't get too worked up about whether a technique is illegal or not, but am aware that in some cases it might lead to premature breakage. I typically follow what Ampersand already wrote. I wouldn't knowingly stress any expensive or rare part I cannot easily replace. But a common one, so what. If it cracks, it cracks. If the replacement cracks, I'll replace again and maybe think about changing my design.

I think some people get too worked up about the word. Think of it less as you are doing something wrong (and deserve punishment) and more of a "not recommended" warning. 

I noticed step 325 at set 21309
the printed tile standing between 2 studs

Very illegal:pir-cry_sad:
someone at billund is about to be imprisoned by TLP :laugh:

Edited by JaBaCaDaBra

1 hour ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Very illegal:pir-cry_sad:
someone at billund is about to be imprisoned by TLP :laugh:

Tiles positioned between studs is acceptable as it doesn't place any stress on the pieces; I have sets from the 1970's that use this technique. Plates between studs though ...

7 hours ago, Mylenium said:

They are in the sense that they put stress on the plastic and affect stability of the models. Whether you care about that in any way is of course entirely up to you. I do to a certain extent, but that's just my engineering mindset shaped by my work bleeding into my hobby, I guess.

Mylenium

They rarely do, though, and when they do, they're quick to declare it an unfortunate accident.

Mylenium

Perhaps "accidental" in that what is termed "illegal" sometimes is so very very nuanced.  It can happen to anyone because sometimes you really can't tell the difference between "legal" and "illegal."  There are connections that are perfectly strong and sound by tactical sense, yet still considered "illegal."  

Lol, they really should have come up with a different word for it, as the word Illegal really seems to trigger some people. When in fact nobody gives a flying hoot what the hell you do to your little plastic pieces. The problem arises when the illegal technique gets unwittingly passed along as acceptable, from moc instructions or other ways to someone that doesn't understand. Anyway I have never concerned myself about it because there is certainly nobody out there actively looking to punish offenders, nor would I care as the plastic is mine to do with as I please.

4 hours ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

That's not illegal and your post illustrates the core problem of the discussion: People perceive things as "illegal" that aren't and on the other hand will happily accept techniques that actually are damaging to the material and model as being non-illegal.

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

Perhaps "accidental" in that what is termed "illegal" sometimes is so very very nuanced.  It can happen to anyone because sometimes you really can't tell the difference between "legal" and "illegal."  There are connections that are perfectly strong and sound by tactical sense, yet still considered "illegal."  

Yes, of course it's nuanced and the conditions under which certain connections and techniques are used can influence this as well.   A connection can be perfectly legal one moment, but turns illegal when you add a wrong element next to it. There's potential for infinite discussion here.

Mylenium

19 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

(Q-Tip) and the Polish Remover of Neil (Nail Polish Remover) and many others. (The latter items two remove prints from Lego, and actually can melt it if not applied right!)

You can remove prints with a pencil eraser just fine, no melting. Not to kink shame Lloyd, but I used one to take the jungle lines off the face of a Lloyd from the Ninjago Island theme, I just put tape over the eyes and mouth to keep them intact while I did it.

On 1/21/2023 at 10:08 AM, Killian said:

You can remove prints with a pencil eraser just fine, no melting. Not to kink shame Lloyd, but I used one to take the jungle lines off the face of a Lloyd from the Ninjago Island theme, I just put tape over the eyes and mouth to keep them intact while I did it.

Fastest way Ive found to remove print is an electric eraser made for arts and craft. They spin small pencil erasers around like a drill bit - very rapid removal!

6 hours ago, evancelt said:

Fastest way Ive found to remove print is an electric eraser made for arts and craft. They spin small pencil erasers around like a drill bit - very rapid removal!

I have never heard of such sorcery! Wonder if they have them in my country? Probably on Amazon 🤔