Esben Kolind

[MOC] The Mountain by Bjarke Ingels

The Mountain is a residential building in Ørestad, a modern neighborhood in Copenhagen, Denmark. It is designed by Danish architect Bjarke Ingels (BIG)

My model is 96 x 80 studs and built in scale 1:150 based on the actual drawings supplied by the architect. It was built for the exhibition "Formgiving" in Danish Architecture Center showcasing the work of Bjarke Ingels.

52630817918_2b2da5fcdc_k.jpg

While the front of the building is a sloped and angled layer of apartments and terraces, the back of the building features a large image of Mount Everest hiding the parking garage inside. Each floor has a distinct color code only visible from the back.

52630778640_96eae698c2_k.jpg

This photo shows the regular structure and symmetry of the building. Each floor is 7 plates high.

52630338786_97dc885f70_k.jpg

Seen directly from the top, the 45 degrees angles are very visible.

52629820752_f96700731c_k.jpg

The different apartment levels are accessed by a "tilted" elevator between the parking garage and the apartments. This can be seen in the picture below.

52630339781_b3ed54fb5d_k.jpg

A picture of The Mountain in the sunset

52629820787_0faa553ded_k.jpg

More pictures in very high resolution can be found in this Flickr album.

The building process has been documented on the blog bigbuilders.dk where other LEGO models from the Formgiving exhibition are also presented.

In the blog posts below you can read about initial design considerations, selection of scale and color, building a mosaic of Mount Everest and see reference pictures of the building. I have included some teaser pictures.

Getting started - initial design

The parking garage

Starting from the bottom

Half way up the hill

Preparing to build Mount Everest

Reaching the summit

The final model

44630924392_903959d7b6_w.jpg 32076363077_8bd5c3e8eb_w.jpg 40562425383_b37852ee7f_w.jpg

47645184221_fa82879017_w.jpg BIG-Mountain-02.jpg

group-10_mountain-dwellings-2-730x518.jp

All comments are welcome.

Esben

Instagram

Flickr

What an amazing building and it is so cool to see it in LEGO form, really helps to understand the size and function of such a large structure, well done. One question, where can I get some of that LEGO graph paper, I make my own and it is quite time consuming to make, premade would be a game changer for me, lol.

15 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

What an amazing building and it is so cool to see it in LEGO form, really helps to understand the size and function of such a large structure, well done. One question, where can I get some of that LEGO graph paper, I make my own and it is quite time consuming to make, premade would be a game changer for me, lol.

Thank you, Johnny. As for the graph paper, I think I downloaded it somewhere on LEGO's website. But a quick google search found this website https://incompetech.com/graphpaper/asymmetric/ where you can generate your own graph paper to the exact measures you want.

Wow, what an amazing project! A wonderful rendition as an architecture model and a truely breathtaking endeavour. Great work and thanks also for the insights into the building process!