Legomind3000

What are some of your favorite themes/sets?

LEGO makes so many great products today. Having grown up in the 2000's I've been able to see LEGO transform into what it is today. Over the years I have had bias towards certain themes or sets and being from the 2000's these include themes such as Exo-Force, Mars Mission, Star Wars, Aqua Raiders, etc.. Some of my favorite sets include the 10188 Death Star, The 2005 City FIre Truck and the Agents Monile Command Center. Would love to know what themes or sets everyone has nostalgia or preference for.

Great idea for a thread!

I grew up loving Adventurers, Trains, and themes that look "old". 2003's Orient Expedition was my dream theme at the time (sadly got only a few set as gifts, but I've made up for it since then!) World City and Trains theme were awesome, I loved that 2003 train shed to pieces (literally) while the 2001 / 2002 My Own Train series inspired my custom train collection, which became much more advanced once the Emerald Night rolled around in 2009.

I cannot express enough my love for Pirates and Pirates of the Caribbean, just love the whole era, especially once represented in LEGO. Have to mention Adventurers and Indiana Jones too, as those always had that magic feeling about them. And last but not least, I really have fond memories of the early City years. :pir-thumb:

8 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

2003's Orient Expedition was my dream theme at the time

Such a lovely end to a lovely theme.

I'm celebrating six decades with LEGO this year. I have seen a lot of themes retire.

I don't know when the minifigure started but they didn't have them in my small world. What was available to me was a figure made from two specially shaped 1x2 bricks, an unprinted head and a hat, WOW! I thought those were great! Then I saw a minifigure... no words!!!!!!!!!

Sets... I'm just now getting the Dacta RCX set from 1995, too expensive when raising kids. For me there are too many sets and themes to mention. Technic has been my favorite theme for over 40 years now and still my most favorite. 

34 minutes ago, 1963maniac said:

I'm celebrating six decades with LEGO this year.

From my heart: Congratulations. It must be a very special and personal anniversary. What do I know, but your posts here on EB always touched me. Hopefully I can celebrate that six decades event in two years :pir-huzzah2:.

LEGO themes ... When I was young, it was bricks (from small sets). No funds available further on until the 1990's. With the appearance of the RCX, my dreams came true. And till then, it is programmable/electronic stuff, TLG ever made. Not so much (but also :D) the modern BLE stuff, much more so what I missed back then.

So it is mostly Technic/Dacta/Mindstorms/PUp. And as I wanted to become a train conductor when I was young: LEGO trains.

Best wishes,
Thorsten   

Edited by Toastie

It has to be Indiana Jones for me. I don't think there was a single bad set they produced for the theme back in 08. Excited to see what they do this year. 

1 hour ago, Tariq j said:

It has to be Indiana Jones for me. I don't think there was a single bad set they produced for the theme back in 08. Excited to see what they do this year. 

I only ever got the Temple Escape set from that theme. It's an incredible play set and I had loads of fun with it as a kid. 

4 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Great idea for a thread!

I grew up loving Adventurers, Trains, and themes that look "old". 2003's Orient Expedition was my dream theme at the time (sadly got only a few set as gifts, but I've made up for it since then!) World City and Trains theme were awesome, I loved that 2003 train shed to pieces (literally) while the 2001 / 2002 My Own Train series inspired my custom train collection, which became much more advanced once the Emerald Night rolled around in 2009.

I hope to own that Emerald Night someday. It's a beautiful kit. Wish it wasn't so insanely expensive now

Space was always my favorite growing up. A few sets that I was lucky enough to have really stand out as my favorites:

The Starship Voyager. My first ever Space set (along with some others) from a yard sale. No relation to Star Trek.😁Just a super sleek spaceship in updated colors -- updated for 1981 at least!

6929-1.jpg

The Alien Moon Stalker. You just can't deny how cool this thing is. And don't call it the first Lego AT-AT! The empire has nothing on this. Emerald windscreens, a dinosaur-like silhouette, sweet double rocket launcher, detachable front and aft units, a grabber arm -- the AT-AT can go eat its heart out.

6940-1.jpg

The Stardefender 200. The sapphire blue windscreens and icy white fuselage make this one very cool, futuristic craft. The main windscreen was new and cool and huge! And printed! Plus the entire design is awesome, with detachable pods and a small rover that can fit in either pod. But mainly...it's gorgeous:

6932-1.jpg

I like other themes, especially Castle and Fabuland as a kid, but no sets from those themes really captivated me as much as the Space sets above.

Basic bricks building sets. Figs weren't invented yet. Had to use mucho imagination.

Currently, my favorite themes are Ninjago, Monkie Kid, Dots, and Super Mario. Historically, I've also loved Bionicle, Exo-Force, and Elves a lot, as well as the various Lego Movie themes. I've also been a fan of other "action themes" like Agents, Atlantis, Power Miners, Space Police, and Nexo Knights.

In terms of more "standalone" sets I'm also a big fan of the modular buildings, the recent Lunar New Year sets, the botanical sets, and a wide variety of other Ideas and Icons/Creator Expert sets.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

Currently, my favorite themes are Ninjago, Monkie Kid, Dots, and Super Mario. Historically, I've also loved Bionicle, Exo-Force, and Elves a lot, as well as the various Lego Movie themes. I've also been a fan of other "action themes" like Agents, Atlantis, Power Miners, Space Police, and Nexo Knights.

In terms of more "standalone" sets I'm also a big fan of the modular buildings, the recent Lunar New Year sets, the botanical sets, and a wide variety of other Ideas and Icons/Creator Expert sets.

These are all great choices. I never got familiar with Elves and am hoping to change that

One of my favorite themes when I got back into LEGO was Agents. I ended up getting all the wave 1 sets

Space Police and M:Tron were my favorites, and while I liked Futuron, I only got a few of the smaller sets. 

I never went all-in with castle, but I really liked the Camouflaged Outpost. 

On 1/17/2023 at 1:23 AM, Legomind3000 said:

LEGO makes so many great products today. Having grown up in the 2000's I've been able to see LEGO transform into what it is today. Over the years I have had bias towards certain themes or sets and being from the 2000's these include themes such as Exo-Force, Mars Mission, Star Wars, Aqua Raiders, etc.. Some of my favorite sets include the 10188 Death Star, The 2005 City FIre Truck and the Agents Monile Command Center. Would love to know what themes or sets everyone has nostalgia or preference for.

I totally agree! I also have a fondness for sets from the 2000's like Exo-Force and Mars Mission. My personal favorite is the Star Wars Ultimate Collector Series Millennium Falcon.

On 1/17/2023 at 3:26 AM, danth said:

The Stardefender 200. The sapphire blue windscreens and icy white fuselage make this one very cool, futuristic craft. The main windscreen was new and cool and huge! And printed! Plus the entire design is awesome, with detachable pods and a small rover that can fit in either pod. But mainly...it's gorgeous:

6932-1.jpg

Wow, I did NOT know that this set existed. Blacktron 2 Aerial Intruder (set 6981) was my childhood fav, looks like it was based or inspired by this one. Fantastic!

As for me - my fav theme growing up was probably Space and Pirates. Also I really loved the Aquazone and Time Cruisers themes, but that was towards my early teenage years when Lego was not supposed to be "cool" for a growing up kid ;)

Right now, I'm rooting the most for new Pirates sets, Pirates of Barracuda Bay set made me return to Lego at 35 and was the first set I bought with my own money after a two long decades.

My favourite theme for life is Adventurers! I was one of those kids obsessed with Egyptology and archaeology in general. I adored castle but couldn't get much of it and Exo Force was the theme that kept me into LEGO in my teen years. MOCing Spaceships and other SF builds too. 

Over time, I have continued to love Castle and Adventure themes, Regularly creating Spaceships. These days truly I love the left-field colourful sets; Vidiyo was expensive but innovative in characters and colours. I do enjoy Spaceship and Castle sets still. Most of my purchases are MOC supplies!

That would be Creator 3 in 1 : I think it's the one with the real spirit of lego.

You got one set but can build different models with it. Technic used to have this but is slowly losing it but creator keep it.

12 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

My favourite theme for life is Adventurers! I was one of those kids obsessed with Egyptology and archaeology in general.

Just curious, did you like the UFO theme? Because those guys looked like they built the pyramids. :D

6900-1.jpg

Just now, danth said:

did you like the UFO theme

I did have a few of the smaller sets :head_back: I do recall a childhood game that involved spaceships flying from my Adventurer Sphinx!

On a tangent: Those were some cool helmets from that theme. I wonder if we will ever get a return in some form?

On 1/26/2023 at 6:04 PM, danth said:

Just curious, did you like the UFO theme? Because those guys looked like they built the pyramids. :D

6900-1.jpg

UFO was before my time, but I do like a lot of the sets

I finally made a profile to respond to this. Okay...best sets of all time, exciting topic! Let's go. I think coolest theme was Aquanauts...the color scheme, the magnets, the blue dome pieces, the raised baseplates, all the fig accessories and flippers, still love it. It's also the only theme I ever managed to 100% collect and it was very early in my lego career...lucky for me it was only 5 sets!!

6195-1.jpg
Neptune Discovery Lab

6991-1.jpg

Monorail Transport Base

6933-1.jpg
Spectral Starguider

1789-1.jpg
Star Hawk II

8480-1.jpg
Technic Space Shuttle

6286-1.jpg
Skull's Eye Schooner

And more because I'm posting too many pictures:

6397 Gas N' Wash Express, 6398 Central Precinct HQ, 4558 Metroliner
9516 Jabba's Palace, 10188 Death Star, 7140 X-Wing

Just looking at all of the above sets back to back is making me dizzy.

52741721918_68b845ef25_z.jpg

Adventures, with Orient Expedition being my fav, both in childhood and now. I was 8 (going on 9!) when Expedition was out, and I just realized this year is the 20th Anniversary of Adventurers final outing with next year being the 2004 Great Color Switch's 20th... I feel REALLY old now. (Also, I miss the old Lego Magazines. They had FANTASTIC cover art, like the one above! - Photo from Bricklink, not mine -)

Does anyone remember Dino from 2012? I really liked that theme! It had a strong GI Joe: Tiger Force vibe. All the vehicles looked cool. I think it might be one of my favorite post-2000 themes.

5888_alt1.jpg

5884_alt1.jpg

I remember @danth! I also remember it being tied to Atlantis, Adventurers, Pharaohs Quest, Power Miners, and Alien Conquest in the LEGO Magazine comics way back when. How? *puts on tinfoil hat*

- Brains from Power Miners was in an second-wave Atlantis set.

- Atlantis is shown being sunk by the Alien Commander in a past failed invasion that also had Amset-Ra as an ally of the Aliens (shown in the Magazine comic) until Ra's people rebelled and his powerful items stolen according to the storyline of Pharaohs Quest.

- After the Commander's defeat in modern times, he released time-displaced dinosaurs to 2012 to spite the humans since he was defeated twice by them. (another comic)

- Josh Thunder, one of dino catchers is Johnny Thunder's grandson, and serves as the scout of the team. (as revealed on LEGO website when theme was released)

I also remember comics trying Monster Fighters, Galaxy Squad, and Ultra Agents together, but that's a tale for another day...

Edited by Murdoch17

21 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

I remember @danth! I also remember it being tied to Atlantis, Adventurers, Pharaohs Quest, Power Miners, and Alien Conquest in the LEGO Magazine comics way back when. How? *puts on tinfoil hat*

Wow, I didn't know any of that. We need a Lego Cinematic Universe series of movies, or at least a TV show. Something that explores all the (non-licensed) themes and how they're tied together.