Sign in to follow this  

So I’ve had a bit of time yesterday and today to have a play around with a few parts and some Stud.io and I thought it was worth while starting this to show my thought process. Firstly I was never into Space Police, it was as the start of my dark ages, so I had to look at what they looked like, but I’m going to build something original.

My project started with 2 things …

1. Use a Technic Figure

2. Use the canopy piece from 10497 Galaxy Explorer - why can’t they have cool yellow canopies instead of dark blue?

So from a couple of hours playing around I got this …

52628544006_710c9dcab2_b.jpg

Which as you can see is a crude cockpit and a collection of wheels/tracks (read as engines) and some ribbed hoses.

Unfortunately the cockpit is stressed at the rear, the yellow panels causing this. So it’s matured to this …

52628543966_1d48d22f32_b.jpg

Which has the added advantage that I’ll be able to open the cockpit too.

As to the big question of what this will look like … who knows ? I’m going with a fluid freestyle on this one and see where it takes me.

I haven’t come up with a name for it either yet!

21 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

If this model is to be built with genuine Lego parts, what kind of rims and tires can be used?

I’m just playing about with which rims to use to make some cylinders to be the engines. The ones here are  56145, 32020 and 56908 just loosely stacked. But I might not use this combination. See how it goes. As to tyres I’m not planning on using any to make the look of the engines

Wheels can be used to build with, they just can’t be wheels for this competition 

Edited by Seasider

Using the figure for scale is a nice idea. Also, nice to see you are taking sort of a similar approach as me: just start with the cabin and go from there.

Any idea as to functions so far? I'm seeing a steering yoke in the digital image - maybe use that to turn thrusters sideways??? Similar to rudders on a hovercraft?

Also, will you be keeping the white-dark blue color scheme. I think that can work well.

Alright, @Seasider is in, so I guess I need to come up with something now too.

I like the start. I keep looking at all the trans-windscreens that are available as the basis for my build, and there are not many. Each one presents the challenge of the even stud width in the odd stud technic world. Are you going to keep the six wide body?

Yes I’ve decided (because of the canopy) that I’m going for an even width … at least at the nose. The tail end of the craft may switch to odd studs but we’ll see

Quick update from me. I wasn’t liking the shape of the fuselage it was too vertical for what I was thinking. So I did a slight redesign and then I’ve been working on what the nose looks like. Here’s my WIP render…

52648523925_c241524dc3_b.jpg

At the moment the nose isn’t attached to the rest. Plan is to get it all connected and then build physically at some point later this week, this weekend.

In terms of the rest of the design I’m aware some of the rims I’ve used aren’t available in black. I need to decide if them in LBG is an issue as I like the shaping.

Also I have an idea for the function this ship will have, the plan is to have a transition from Space and Atmospheric flight modes. Not sure what that will mean or look like as yet but that’s my idea.

Edited by Seasider

Weekend update from me. As planned I turned the fuselage section into real bricks, with a few tweaks to the design along the way.

52656394503_a91aa15f5c_b.jpg

I’m still not 100% on the final position of the canopy piece and how it attaches back into the structure. As you’ll notice the nose is missing some which panels too.

Then I created this, based off a Grumman X-29 to be my proof of concept model. All good engineers need a proof of concept model once in a while!

52655904786_74efcc357f_b.jpg

Next stage is to work out how big I want these wings to be and work out how to convert them into panels/lift arms.

So this is where my brain is at …

Unfortunately this project isn’t going well for me, it’s been floating around my desk for a while and as I’ve slowly developed a bit here and there it’s grown as a model and developed as an idea but not I’m at the stage where I’m just not feeling it anymore. Perhaps life has got in the way of this build too much but that’s how things are sometimes. Here’s a shot of where I got to.

52718757142_90c14b5f89_b.jpg

By the time you’ll read this I’ll have started to rip it apart and hopefully I’ll get back to spending the little Lego build time I have on building the Mazda model.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time motivating myself with this build to @Seasider. I applaud you for taking it apart and moving on. Sometimes I wish I could do that as well as some other builders. I often feel like I have to finish everything I start.

We'll see you in the next TC.

8 hours ago, KirTech LAB said:

Looks stylish! And I love these white plastic wheels.

They’re from @Kit Brickstos UCS Tantive IV

8 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Yeah, I'm having a hard time motivating myself with this build to @Seasider. I applaud you for taking it apart and moving on. Sometimes I wish I could do that as well as some other builders. I often feel like I have to finish everything I start.

We'll see you in the next TC.

Thanks, good luck with yours. Perhaps you need to stop making trucks for Instagram 🤣

On 3/2/2023 at 5:26 PM, Seasider said:

Thanks, good luck with yours. Perhaps you need to stop making trucks for Instagram 🤣

That's a fair critique. Sometimes the things I'm excited to build are not the builds that are time sensitive. But another truck is coming too!

I also have skipped, I think some 2 contests of similar reasons. I think it is OK. See You on next TC.