Howdy folks!

As a child growing up, the LEGO City theme has been my most favourite theme. I also experienced some LEGO Adventurers, LEGO Spider-Man, LEGO Creator, etc. I never owned any LEGO Western sets or Lone Ranger sets, but had seen them online. I would save up pocket money, birthday money, Christmas money, to purchase LEGO sets from Woolworths (UK), Moons Toy Store (UK), or Argos (UK). They were "the good old days", indeed.  

Today I am a AFOL - adult fan of LEGO.

Fascination and interest of the Wild West and Western has began to grow since playing - Red Dead Redemption 2 (2018) - by the famous Rockstar Games. It was indeed an incredible historic time period, with a lot of room for imagination and adventure.

I would love to someday make a LEGO Western town main street, but seek advice from the Eurobricks LEGO community. If I was to build a Western setting, what should I consider? Any recommendations? What town buildings do you suggest?

Some structure ideas include:

• Saloon
  • Hotel
  • Sheriff's Office
  • Bank
  • Stable
  • General Store
  • Gun Store
  • Undertaker's
  • Town Hall
  • Train Station w/ train
  • Barbers
  • Mine & Mineshaft
  • Hunter's Shack
  • Fisherman's Shack
  • Shack & Houses
  • Fort ?
  • Church & graveyard

Addition ideas:

• Riffles, guns, pistols, dynamite
  • Railway
  • Wagons & horses
  • Cactus

What about the telegraph office?

Please get your indians right. The plains indians (Siuox) that you usually see in the old movies with the big long headresses and teepees did not live where there were cactus growing. They lived on the prairie. They lived near the buffalo. 

Don't forget the community church where they also used it for school and the town hall and any other gathering that was nessessary like a courtroom for the visiting judge.

A land office would be my first suggestion - gotta make a profit off the land expropriated from the natives.

Also the local Indian agent - a place to smooth over problems between the two communities, and to mix sawdust into the flour for the Indians.

Depending on how far you want to build beyond the town itself, maybe a ranch, or homesteads for the settlers.

And a railway station, with a water tower and perhaps a pen for the cattle brought in by the cowboys, to be shipped east to the slaughterhouses in the big cities.

And don't forget the snake oil salesman and his cart.

How big is your display? Big enough for a working train loop?

If so, I would start with the train, station & tracks, and work outwards from there. A lot of your later layout will depend on the train.

Farmhouse/ranch, gallows, & traveling cart-salesman are some builds that come to mind.

Howdy folks!

I am not sure how far I will go with this project, but I have spare space. Even if I only achieve at least one smaller MOC, I will be happy. I suppose cost and part availability is a factor. I am not sure how far I will reach, but I know I would leave big MOCs until last - such as a hotel. Smaller MOCs would be top priority, like a General Store or Gunsmith.

For those who know the LEGO Lone Ranger theme, I now currently own x8 cavalry soldiers. Of this theme, the soldiers are navy blue. Only one of the cavalry soldiers have a rifle, but more can be ordered. If you are aware of the LEGO Western theme, the cavalry soldiers of that theme were blue (not navy). It has been a hard choice since I like both types of cavalry soldiers. I thought the ones of the LEGO Lone Ranger theme would be more "professional", but would love to hear your thoughts too.

I ordered some parts from LEGO PAB online, since I do not live near to a LEGO Store. I ordered some LEGO pistols with other useful parts. I also ordered some minifigure parts, such as torsos, which I feel would fit a "Western theme". I saw there were candles as well.

For those familiar with the seller - One More Brick - they sell custom LEGO creations. A long time back I had ordered from them. I feel some of their creations are cross-compatible with different time periods, say a grandfather clock could be used for a Western setting, a 1930s setting, even a modern setting. I love creations which are suitable for different time periods, where as a modern car could only suit modern times. I think the LEGO crate and box parts would always be suitable, unless one had a futuristic setting. The brown crate boxes can be used for a Western period easily.

As a child I mostly focused on LEGO City, LEGO Creator (for parts) and some LEGO World City. I have somewhat touched some other themes such as Adventurers, Spider-Man, Racers, Harry Potter (the Chamber of Secrets), Castle (a cannon), Trains (a train with platform & track). I never experienced any Western but if I had, I would of had hours of fun. Some sets can be somewhat cross compatible like if you were to remove the vehicles and more modern equipment from LEGO Adventurers, I suppose you "could" have Johnny Thunder among the Cowboys. He could be a Western man who seeks ancient relics and treasures.

I hope this project turns out well. :)

Also to mention...

On 1/15/2023 at 3:56 PM, 1963maniac said:

What about the telegraph office?

This is completely new to me and sounds quite interesting. I would have to research more into this.

Please get your indians right. The plains indians (Siuox) that you usually see in the old movies with the big long headresses and teepees did not live where there were cactus growing. They lived on the prairie. They lived near the buffalo. 

I have thought about the Native Americans. Depending how far I reach with this project, they would not be of main priority, but I feel they should be fitted in. I am no expert when it comes to the Western times, but I would guess a town of a desert would have cactus and not Native Indian (Siuox). I noticed the LEGO Western theme focused on a desert setting, with the tan baseplates. Not sure if that is just stereotypical or it "could" have been set of the southern United States, nearer to Mexico?

Don't forget the community church where they also used it for school and the town hall and any other gathering that was nessessary like a courtroom for the visiting judge.

They were indeed different times. Using a church as a school building as well. I could be wrong, but they seemed like more tightly nit communities.

On 1/15/2023 at 9:38 PM, Ardelon said:

A land office would be my first suggestion - gotta make a profit off the land expropriated from the natives.

I should research more into land offices. Sound interesting!

Also the local Indian agent - a place to smooth over problems between the two communities, and to mix sawdust into the flour for the Indians.

Sounds sweet! If my town ever grew big enough and I wanted another idea, this would be considered.

And a railway station, with a water tower and perhaps a pen for the cattle brought in by the cowboys, to be shipped east to the slaughterhouses in the big cities.

Sounds good!

And don't forget the snake oil salesman and his cart.

Nice addition!

10 hours ago, Yoggington said:

How big is your display? Big enough for a working train loop?

If so, I would start with the train, station & tracks, and work outwards from there. A lot of your later layout will depend on the train.

Train track with a good old train would complete the town indeed! Depending how far I reach with this project. This would not be #1 priority for me, but would be on my mind.

10 hours ago, Yoggington said:

Farmhouse/ranch, gallows, & traveling cart-salesman are some builds that come to mind.

Those are nice additions to help give the town life, such as the travelling cart-salesman.