Marooned Marin

[MOC] TRITON

blogged.png

Triton-01-featured-image-marooned-marin.

DESCRIPTION

TRITON is a war brig with two masts, both square-rigged, equipped with 12 cannons and two lighter, but deadly accurate, swivel guns. She is known for her speed and exceptional manoeuvrability, so much that a skilled captain (even Lieutenant de Martinet) could turn her around almost on the spot. No wonder why she quickly became Governor Broadside's prized ship and principal threat to all pirates still daring to plunder the Brick Seas.

With Captain Redbeard still missing and presumed dead (while actually marooned on the Barracuda Bay), remaining scattered pirates are facing their darkest hour in their battle for independence from the Imperial rule. They need to find a way to deal with TRITON, or perish!

Triton-02-broadside-marooned-marin.jpg

ABOUT THE BUILD
MOC was first designed in Studio.io and later (much later) built and tested with real bricks. During that period it underwent several unsuccessful major redesigns which soon got him thrown inside the good old development hell. Too tough to die, a year later it resurfaced with vengeance, and here we are.

The overall design is sturdy, but most importantly the ship's stern with all the curves and slopes is tough as a nail. Both masts are reinforced by long technic axles and firmly anchored with the help of long masts rigging.

Triton-03-isometric-bow-marooned-marin.j

Triton-04-bow-closeup-marooned-marin.jpg

Triton-05-front-deck-marooned-marin.jpg

Triton-06-main-deck-marooned-marin.jpg

Triton-08-stern-isometric-marooned-marin

Triton-09-stern-from-above-marooned-mari

Triton-10-from-above-broadside-marooned-

Triton-11-top-view-marooned-marin.jpg

Triton-12-top-the-crew-marooned-marin.jp

Triton-13-quarterdeck-marooned-marin.jpg

THE INTERIOR

To maximize playability and enable an easier access to the ship's interior, both the quarterdeck and middle section of the main deck can be easily removed without any loss of structural integrity. Pretty neat, don’t you think?

Triton-14-top-the-interior-marooned-mari

Small annoyance comes with removal of cannons back and forth, but that’s life at the sea. If you don’t like it, stick to the terra firma MOCs, you dandy.

The captain’s cabin (or the governor’s cabin, as Governor Broadside currently resides on the ship) has everything a good captain governor needs; a working table with a treasure map, one strange navigational device (devils stuff I tell you), an oversized chair big enough to accommodate captain’s governor’s oversized EGO, an impressive armoury bench packed with flintlocks and an officer sword... and oh yeah, almost forgot, one bed with Imperial sheets and a matching pair of pajamas.

The middle section below the main deck features a brig (a prison aboard any sailing vessel you scallywags), soldiers sleeping quarters, a storage room and a small mess hall where daily rations of rum are served.

WHY BLUECOATS?

The design was inspired by the tragic story of the real ship TRITON (1836-1859) which sailed under the Imperial and Royal War Navy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. She was sunk by a magazine explosion on 9 May 1859 at her anchorage outside the cursed island of Lokrum, near Dubrovnik in the Adriatic Sea.

Was it a human error, sabotage or the island’s curse... who knows!? My doubloons are on the curse. Stay away from that island by night.

Triton-15-inspiredby-marooned-marin.jpg

As the bluecoat fraction is based on French and Austria, it seemed logical to put TRITON under Imperial Soldiers’ flag. This opened up an opportunity to play with colours. I was inspired by @SleeplessNight MOCs and his daring use of lively colours, so why not incorporate a thing or two from the best. The yellow frame windows with white lattice are homage to beloved Caribbean Clipper.

What I really wanted was for bluecoats to have a formidable ship, not too large but with more firepower than the Barracuda for instance. Triton is that ship, and it will play a major role inside an upcoming 100+ pages graphic novel, pirate-themed mind you, which is currently in the writing process (and always one step away from the good old development hell).

To give you some idea about the graphic novel, a small introduction of the story was published HERE – just scroll down until you hit the comic.

Triton-16-size-comparison-marooned-marin

Triton-17-warty-crab-marooned-marin.jpg

SPECIFICATION

• Parts: 2491 parts (without minifigures)
  • Dimensions: W: 23.1cm L: 72.7cm H: 54cm
  • Weight: 1682 grams
  • Difficulty: Moderate/hard Build (tested on two +10 years old)
  • Type of set: For Display & Light Play
  • IMPORTANT: Model does not float

Triton-18-on-open-water-marooned-marin.j

BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS AVAILABLE

Instructions are available on Rebrickable. There is a 33% discount code valid until February 17.: TRITON33

LINK to Rebrickable

rebrickable.jpg.33641c6f02c72f939abf737fc7b19115.jpg

NOT FINISHED YET
Still here? Great! Let’s end this official launch with a small and simple revolve animation where you can clearly see all the ship's curves and lines, after which I invite you to give me your two pieces of eight what do you think about this MOC. :pir-huzzah2:

blogged.png

Edited by Marooned Marin
Blogged on Classic-Pirates.com

11 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

NOT FINISHED YET
Still here? Great! Let’s end this official launch with a small and simple revolve animation where you can clearly see all the ship's curves and lines, after which I invite you to give me your two pieces of eight what do you think about this MOC. :pir-huzzah2:

This is a wonderful build - it would definitely make a great official set to rival the 10020 Imperial Flagship! :pir-stareyes:

With a bit of paraphrasing the first post of this topic could be repurposed as a blog post which can shoot around social media.

But in the mean time, how about we frontpage it on Eurobricks?

@Captain Braunsfeld, does this ship meet with your standards?  Or @Jack Sassy , think you can beat Branusfeld to it? :pir-grin:

Blog Post is well underway...  but further research is required.

13 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

The design was inspired by the tragic story of the real ship TRITON (1836-1859) which sailed under the Imperial and Royal War Navy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Wikipedia provides a list of all ships by that name but I'm having difficult finding sources on a Triton active between 1836-1859.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Triton

So where might I find some appropriate sources?

3 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

it would definitely make a great official set to rival the 10020 Imperial Flagship

Thank yee for kind words, I'm glad that you like it! :pir-triumph:

Paraphrase anyway you want, you are master when it comes to playing with words.

2 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

'm having difficult finding sources on a Triton active between 1836-1859.

Ah yes, Wikipedia is rather short on that, but you will find it listed here:

https://www.history.navy.mil/our-collections/photography/numerical-list-of-images/nhhc-series/nh-series/NH-87000/NH-87003.html

Here is another source, Wikipedia, but in Croatian with little more historical information. I've added you the link with English translation:

https://hr-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/Triton_(ratni_brik)?_x_tr_sl=hr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

A fine MOC indeed, lovely colours too. Good job! :pir-thumb:

9 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Or @Jack Sassy , think you can beat Branusfeld to it? :pir-grin:

Not at the moment (I will be available in 2 or 3 days) but if @Captain Braunsfeld wishes to post it in the meantime, no hard feelings. :pir-huzzah2:

6 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

Ah yes, Wikipedia is rather short on that, but you will find it listed here:

Thank ye!

21 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

There will be a 33% discount code valid for the next 33 days: TRITON33

Is there an exact date when this expires?

1 hour ago, Jack Sassy said:

A fine MOC indeed, lovely colours too. Good job! :pir-thumb:

Not at the moment (I will be available in 2 or 3 days) but if @Captain Braunsfeld wishes to post it in the meantime, no hard feelings. :pir-huzzah2:

I am tempted to post this. I think it is great (and it has a monkey!).

I would aim for Wednesday to post this on the frontpage. If you go first, I don't mind. :pir-huzzah2:

10 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

@Captain Braunsfeld, does this ship meet with your standards?  Or @Jack Sassy , think you can beat Branusfeld to it? :pir-grin:

Yepp, standards are well met :pir-grin:

Of course, I would need the name of the monkey to complete my post :pir-laugh:

7 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Is there an exact date when this expires?

There will be as soon as MOC gets approved on Rebrickable, it's still in review. I'll let you know the date :pir-thumb:

7 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

A fine MOC indeed, lovely colours too. Good job! 

Thank ye Jack! :pir-huzzah2:

6 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

I think it is great (and it has a monkey!).

I'm glad you like it, and I'm excited about the frontpage, this will be my first time actually :pir-grin:

6 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

what's the name of the damn monkey?

Jojo, Jojo the monkey. He's quite a piano player that monkey :monkey:  (listen)

4 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

Update: this is valid till February 17. 2023. :pir-triumph:

If all goes to plan we can schedule the blog post for Wednesday.

But I'll just put "expiring soon" rather than a fixed to get readers clicking on the link in 6 months time. :pir-skel:

10 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

Jojo, Jojo the monkey. He's quite a piano player that monkey :monkey:  (listen)

Also, a skilled plumber.

On 1/15/2023 at 3:05 AM, Marooned Marin said:

SPECIFICATION

Will the Chinese manufacturers be including the sails with this one?

SPECIFICATION

• Parts: 2491 parts (without minifigures)
  • Dimensions: W: 23.1cm L: 72.7cm H: 54cm
  • Weight: 1682 grams
  • Difficulty: Moderate/hard Build (tested on two +10 years old)
  • Type of set: For Display & Light Play
  • IMPORTANT: Model does not float

Also, there are discrepancies in the weights and dimensions in their specifications:

image.png

9 hours ago, Barbatos said:

My best compliments for this MOC! The colors are bright and make it well.  

Gracie Capitano! I'm glad you like it :pir-huzzah2:

Will the Chinese manufacturers be including the sails with this one?

Nay! But there is detail how-to tutorial and 1:1 scale template for print&cut your own sails from any available fabric, or heavy 160g paper, you can find.

Also, there are discrepancies in the weights and dimensions in their specifications:

That's because these are referred to 'package' not the actual ship you build.

Why do they think package information is important, I don't know :pir-cry_sad: 

The model weight is wrong on their side, and also have several typos in their text which I already pointed out to them. Some or fixed, others are, well... others will be pointed out once again.

But I'll just put "expiring soon" rather than a fixed to get readers clicking on the link in 6 months time. :pir-skel:

We can leave this 33% for our forum members and I can make permanent coupon code 25% for Classic-Pirates readers: CP25

Sounds good?

If all goes to plan we can schedule the blog post for Wednesday. 

ohhhh now I'm really excited! :pir-huzzah2:

If all goes well, new better brick-falling animation will be over in 40hours from now, and I will share it here.

1 hour ago, Marooned Marin said:

We can leave this 33% for our forum members and I can make permanent coupon code 25% for Classic-Pirates readers: CP25

Sounds good?

That's an even better idea!

1 hour ago, Marooned Marin said:

If all goes well, new better brick-falling animation will be over in 40hours from now, and I will share it here.

Perhaps you'd like to review the blog post to ensure I've got all the details correct:
https://www.classic-pirates.com/wordpress/wp-admin/post.php?post=638634&action=edit

9 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Perhaps you'd like to review the blog post to ensure I've got all the details correct:

Ok, wow! You went an extra mile with this one, and you even did your research of the island's course. Great write-up. I love it! :pir-triumph:

As for errors, only one found. On the last picture, the fort in the background is St. John, while St. Lawrance or - Lovrijenac- is on the other side of the town. But worry not, the town has seven heavy forts, it's a easy mistake to make, especially when writing about it from the other side of the globe.

Some trivia; one of two cannons from the real Triton (which were salvaged some 60 years ago from the sea floor) is now mounted St. John fort for decoration. :cannon:

800x995.jpg

Aside from that, excellent job on the blog-post. You are master of words and I'm overwhelmed and quite honoured with everything written. :pir-wub:

As for errors, only one found. On the last picture, the fort in the background is St. John, while St. Lawrance or - Lovrijenac- is on the other side of the town.

That's what I was afraid of!  I've fixed it up.

Some trivia; one of two cannons from the real Triton (which were salvaged some 60 years ago from the sea floor) is now mounted St. John fort for decoration. :cannon:

Might as well incorporate that into the blog post too.

Do we have those referral links yet?

This is an absolutely gorgeous ship @Marooned Marin! The contorting of the hull is absolutely spot on, and I love the colors! The mixing of the different browns has really added some life to it instead of just a blur of reddish brown. As you know, I'm very partial to the Bluecoats, so I'm happy to see them in this build too along with the blue, yellow, and white accents which just invoke the Caribbean Clipper beautifully. This ship is definitely a wonderful compliment to POBB!

11 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Congrats! :pir-huzzah2:

Thank ye @Captain Braunsfeld , you are the best! :pir-triumph:

2 hours ago, PxChris said:

The mixing of the different browns

This idea actually came from @Piraten when we were exchanging some top-secret WIP images a while ago, and I thought why not? 

I'm truly happy that you like it, especially since you are a blue coat in your heart. Your kind words and support on Instagram are the best praise I could've hoped for.

As for comparison with POBB, I plan to run series of 'size comparison' images divided in several weeks: Triton vs POBB, Triton vs C. Clipper, Triton vs Imperial Flagship. All this on Instagram of course. :pir-huzzah2:

On 1/17/2023 at 8:34 AM, Mister Phes said:

Might as well incorporate that into the blog post too.

Again, I'm amazed how well this blog-post turned out and it was my joy and pleasure to reread it again and again. Thank ye Governor :pir-huzzah2:

7 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

Again, I'm amazed how well this blog-post turned out and it was my joy and pleasure to reread it again and again. Thank ye Governor :pir-huzzah2:

It has attracted quite a few visitors to Classic-Pirates.com but not so many to the LEGO Pirates Forum.

With Captain Redbeard still missing and presumed dead (while actually marooned on the Barracuda Bay)

Isn't that Captain Redbeard in the brig?

image.png

13 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Isn't that Captain Redbeard in the brig?

Darn! :pir-oh:

My storyline has hole big enough you could drive a truck sail a boat right into it. :pir-grin:

Ahem, obviously that's his father, Old Red they call him. :pir-classic:

6 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

Ahem, obviously that's his father, Old Red they call him. :pir-classic:

Obviously, because it's using the original 1989 Captain Redbeard design rather than the newer one(s).

Speaking of minifigs... why is their a fleshtone minifig among all the traditional yellow minifigs?

image.png

14 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

a fleshtone minifig among all the traditional yellow minifigs

That's the King's emissary, sent from the cold and damp Europe to Caribbean to witness and ensures that Triton is in capable hands.

Governor Broadsides is not thrilled about this 'audit' from the court. He will either end the pirate threat, or this will be his end as a governor of the new world.

The royal reserves are empty (thanks to the pirates), so the King got substantial loan from private bankers -backers- who want to see the profitable returns of the investment and their ship back in one piece.

This is a beautiful brig!  :pir-love:They are good in terms of playability but also well-built as a ship model. I like the photo and the comparison to the Barracuda ship. I like your ship better because it corresponds more to a ship model. The hull, bow and stern are very nicely built and I like the colors.