Ferro-Friki

[MOC] Renfe Ave 100 (MOC/Modification of a BlueBrixx set)

Hey everyone!

I have a special MOC I’d like to share with you.

52594215356_936d06e0e1_k.jpg

52594470979_8fd4193c8b_k.jpg

It’s a recreation of the series 100 high-speed train set operated by Renfe. These were the first high-speed trains to run in Spain all the way back in 1992. They connected Madrid and Seville and to this day they’re some of the most common trains you can find on this line.

AVE-de-Renfe-de-la-serie-100-en-Nissan-l

To be fair I don’t think I can call it a “MOC” at least not entirely, instead it’s a modification of an existing L gauge train set you can buy, the “Express Train grey blue” (Clearly a recreation of the TGV Atlantique) from BlueBrixx. I split up the train and only modified half of it.

52594468459_6d8555a33c_k.jpg

52593720982_8e669a3fc9_k.jpg

Here you can see the modification/MOC compared to both the BlueBrixx set and the Horizon Express.

The (irl) series 100 trains are very closely related to the TGV Atlantique, with some slight modifications, so back when I bought the BlueBrixx set I knew I had to modify it to turn it into one of these historic Spanish trains.

52626711640_cb64c01d59_c.jpg

I’ll be honest though, I don’t think this is a very accurate or complex model, and that’s okay, I didn’t intend it to be. Up until very recently all my MOCs were built out of scavenged parts from scrapped Lego sets. As you would expect, these MOCs were very limited when it comes to part availability, and it showed. With my inventory I would never be able to build big models with complex techniques and all the details I wanted to capture. It all changed with this train.

Inspired by all the talented creators I look up to, I finally downloaded and learned how to use Stud.io. The original BlueBrixx design was a good base to start with, and when I was done redesigning it I only had to buy about half of the pieces. Then, I created a Bricklink account and after watching countless tutorial videos I bought all the pieces I needed.

That’s why I consider this “test” model special. It represents a turning point in my AFOL experience. It’s just a precedent for many other more advanced MOCs to come.

Congratulations with your new and imo improved MOC/MOD and the journey you have embarked upon.

Looking forward to what's next :classic:

Edited by dtomsen

Quite an interesting original model and MOD! Looks fairly similar to the real thing. As an easy and affordable improvement tho, the lower nose part seems to be too steep, so I would try to implement something more similar to the Horizon Express set. Nice work!

Edited by Redrado

I agree with all others: Very nice MOD.

Equally important: Very nice and clever use of available resources! From YouTube, BL, Stud.io to bricks'n'plates!

All the best,
Thorsten

Very nice MOD! :wub:

I'm glad I'm not the only one using BB parts and ideas to build trains :classic:

I've completed a few trains (yet to be released) by merging parts from the two suppliers.
The thing that strikes me among other things (but I'm getting a little off topic here) is that the BB models seem to me more realistic and well made than the Lego ones (see catalog 2023) ... not to mention the costs! :wink:

I’m so happy to see you guys like my MOD (I thought MOC was the only abbreviation lol).

On 1/14/2023 at 6:52 PM, Darkkostas25 said:

Your MOC/MOD is superior. More round and aerodynamic-looking nose 

On 1/19/2023 at 7:29 PM, Redrado said:

Quite an interesting original model and MOD! Looks fairly similar to the real thing. As an easy and affordable improvement tho, the lower nose part seems to be too steep, so I would try to implement something more similar to the Horizon Express set. Nice work!

The nose is a step in the right direction, but it’s still far from spot on, it’s too sharp and pointy, the real train has a shorter and rounder nose. The same wedge slope from the Horizon Express could do the job well, but it’s too angular for my taste. Maybe some day far into the future I might redo the whole train from scratch (preferably 7 studs wide), then I wouldn’t be limited by the bricks from the original BlueBrixx set, particularly the inverted plane cockpit piece in dark bluish gray, which forces the nose to be longer than it should be. I might also attempt to capture the way the side walls of the train lean inwards at the top and the bottom, the way the walls are completely flat drives me insane, it’s just wrong.

8 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Very nice MOD! :wub:

I'm glad I'm not the only one using BB parts and ideas to build trains :classic:

I've completed a few trains (yet to be released) by merging parts from the two suppliers.
The thing that strikes me among other things (but I'm getting a little off topic here) is that the BB models seem to me more realistic and well made than the Lego ones (see catalog 2023) ... not to mention the costs! :wink:

I’m so glad you brought this up! I had been feeling very disappointed with Lego lately, they barely produce any decent trains nowadays, and the few new train parts they produce feel like a downgrade (the new wheel holder). Besides, their prices are getting outrageous and they inflate them even more by filling the sets with unnecessary side builds or a stupid amount of minifigures. The latest HP train and the Fussball table are some of the worst examples. I’ve lost all hope I had on them, I can’t wait to see how badly they mess up the ideas Orient Express.

Then I found BlueBrixx, and it honestly felt too good to be true, I kept thinking that there had to be a catch somewhere, but after some digging I found many satisfied customers out there so, I decided to test the waters by purchasing two coaches in dark green to accompany my 10277 crocodile locomotive (since Lego didn’t feel like producing any rolling stock for it…), and I was very pleased with the products.

Sure, they’re far from perfect, by now we all know that the quality of the bricks is lower than Lego’s, but it’s still pretty good quality nonetheless, especially for that price! Also, their wheel holders produce too much friction, but after spraying the axels with some lubricant they run just as well as their Lego counterparts, I was able to pull the entire TGV Atlantique (before I modified half of it) with just one PF motor and a fresh battery box after doing that, although to be fair if you don’t want it to strain, you should use two of them.

Like you said, what I like most about BlueBrixx is the fact that they make more realistic trains, even if they don’t have that many details, capturing the real proportions of the trains goes a long way. After buying the Express Train gray-blue I can’t look the same way at the Horizon Express again.

Well that was a bit of a rant, wasn’t it? Sorry everyone, I just had to get it out of my system! :)

I`m fine with a long pointy nose with some round and smooth touch to it (your approach in this model) looks for me, again, better and more "high speed"

15 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

So am I Emanuele, but you know that :pir-huzzah2:

I am also glad that this thread does still not implode into the Community ... :pir-wink:

Hope all is well!
Best wishes,
Thorsten

5 hours ago, Ferro-Friki said:

Well that was a bit of a rant, wasn’t it? Sorry everyone, I just had to get it out of my system! :)

In reality you have exposed a whole series of widely shared arguments. :thumbup:

Even the correlated railway structures are by far more charming and interesting than those of Lego, whose only interest seems to be to sell sets devoid of taste and personality! :hmpf_bad:

As for the quality of the wheels, I personally buy ball bearings on ebay (100 at a time) and the BB wheels with ball bearings run infinitely better than the Lego ones (and I'm referring to the HE ones, not to the new plastic ones which are not even to be considered).

As for the quality of the bricks and plates, I noticed that the BB pieces if mounted under the Lego pieces have a very strong hold, on the contrary the BB pieces mounted above the Lego parts detach easily, knowing this it is easy to combine the parts (also being careful not to highlight the differences color).

Now that's an off-topic rant! :wink:

9 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Now that's an off-topic rant!

No, it is not. It is a valuable information post!

Thank you, Emanuele!

Best,
Thorsten

On 1/29/2023 at 8:09 PM, Aitoruco said:

Nose looks strange, too narrow. Look my S100

Renfe S-100 by Aitor Fernández Martín, on Flickr

You’re totally right. There are many issues with my model, and the shape of the nose is one of the most noticeable. I’m fine with it though, this was a sort of “proof of concept” that allowed me to test the waters with stud.io and bricklink without using too many resources.

Your s100 is very impressive! 8-wide models are always stunning. I find the cockpit windows particularly striking, and I have to admit that the original Renfe blue lining is iconic for this train. I’m not sure what’s going on with the underside of the nose in your design, is the hood that covers the scharfenberg coupling supposed to be open?

2 hours ago, Ferro-Friki said:

Your s100 is very impressive! 8-wide models are always stunning. I find the cockpit windows particularly striking, and I have to admit that the original Renfe blue lining is iconic for this train. I’m not sure what’s going on with the underside of the nose in your design, is the hood that covers the scharfenberg coupling supposed to be open?

I’ve actually known of his S100 for a while, and it’s in fact a 7 studs model, which makes it even more impressive. What you mention about the covers, I think that it’s just that the inverted slopes are too long, but I’m not certainly sure. 

4 hours ago, Redrado said:

I’ve actually known of his S100 for a while, and it’s in fact a 7 studs model, which makes it even more impressive. What you mention about the covers, I think that it’s just that the inverted slopes are too long, but I’m not certainly sure. 

It really is 7 wide! I guess I've just forgotten how to count :laugh_hard: that makes it even more impressive, I prefer 7 wide, even if odd numbers make it a bit more difficult to build.

46 minutes ago, Ferro-Friki said:

I prefer 7 wide, even if odd numbers make it a bit more difficult to build.

Couldn’t agree more!!