Murdoch17

Blacktron I revisited - spaceships, cars, and robots OH MY! - finished in real life 3/12/24

Blacktron I rises again!

53580781472_ecfb5ab189_z.jpg

"You are now entering the Blacktron sector! This is the absolute limit of the Classic Space quadrant! You have been warned!"

...sorry about that. Had to get the legal stuff out of the way first! Anyway:

Blacktron long-range fighter "Buzzard"

53582090405_b791dd152b_z.jpg

Above is the two copies of the Blacktron XL-15, which are now dubbed the "Buzzard" type starfighter.

So back in January of 2023, I decided to convert the XL-15 spaceship from the film "Lightyear" into original Blacktron colors.

The blue became yellow, and white was turned to black, with all the trans-green removed. I added laser blasters under the wings where some technic pins are and put a different control tile in the cockpit. I was thinking about building a second ship, but then again, getting some of the parts from Bricklink was a total pain due to extremely low quantities in the needed color. (I'm talking about you, 3 x 3 wedge plate in yellow!) Thankfully, I bought one too many of both kinds of the yellow 12 x 3 wedge plates, as they are very rare as well with only one store selling four of each kind in the USA, which made making the second one easier later on.

Blacktron command vessel "Executor"

53580781452_e222a529b6_z.jpg

In addition to the two Buzzards, I wanted a Blacktron capitol ship. I had no ideas of my own ship, so I spent most of the afternoon of 10/5/23 taking Benny's beloved spaceship from The Lego Movie and corrupting it into a twisted, evil version. I revamped the nose, removed the expanding wing assembly and snub fighters. Of course I then recolored it almost exclusively in black and yellow. (some gray was unavoidable!) I armed it with a turret on the top rear where the sensor array once was, and put the commanders office below where the wing mechanism used to be. To keep with the one-word naming scheme of the original Blacktron, I borrowed the name of Darth Vader's Super Star Destroyer, decreeing this ship the Blacktron Executor.

53581870603_1d1bfa4e80_z.jpg

I struggled to think of an engine flame color that fit OG Blacktron, but eventually trans-light blue was selected.

Since the wings don't extend anymore, I added a third section for figures with a turret on top in their place. The rear-most section lifts away, but the rest of the roof sections are supposed to fold open. The ship seats seven troops and 1 commander.

Blacktron giant robot "Destructor"

53582090450_15542f2972_z.jpg

For this model, I used parts and ideas from the Eternals line's "In Arishem's Shadow" set 76155 (body / head / upper legs / upper arms) along with claw from the old Agents 2.0' "Robot Attack" set 8970. The lower legs and laser arm are (modified) holdovers from the "Build Better Bricks" Iron Giant instructions. (I need to fix the laser arm's elbow joint but I keep forgetting!)

Blacktron "Shadow Runner" space car

53581970494_a761b5e573_z.jpg

Recently, while I was on my Blacktron kick, I decided I needed a vehicle for the commander. So, after a few false starts with other models, I dusted off this old TRON Legacy Light Runner model and went to town modifying it. The model originally was made five years ago (was 2018 really that long ago?!?), and is based off the two-seater TRON set 21314 MOD that was made by BrickBrosUK and posted on Brickset here. The name Shadow Runner is a play on the Light-based vehicles from TRON.

Blacktron minifigs

53581970454_723a3016c6_z.jpg

These pilot minifigs are from the GWP with back printing (gotten from Pick A Brick) while the commander is mostly from the Series 19 Galactic Bounty Hunter CMF.

NOTES:

To be honest, I've had these built since at least last November, but finally got around to taking all these pictures just yesterday.

Thoughts?

EDITED 3/12/24: real world photos added and text changed around.

Edited by Murdoch17

Nice!

There are yellow 2x2 triangle tiles now, which don't have the curve, but obviously require more space for a bigger logo. You may have already seen those.

7 hours ago, danth said:

Nice!

There are yellow 2x2 triangle tiles now, which don't have the curve, but obviously require more space for a bigger logo. You may have already seen those.

Thanks @danth! I've heard of doing the logo that way, and I actually wanted to do it as you describe originally. However, I wasn't sure how to go about attaching it to the wing. (proper positioning / spacing and so on) I used LDD to figure out the symbol, and that part isn't in there. So, I made do with the smaller ones that are in LDD. It isn't pretty, but it should work well enough.

2 hours ago, Triceron said:

Very cool ride for the Bounty Hunter dude!

Thank you @Triceron, I agree!

Stellar reskin. The original Blacktron scheme works greats on this. The engine area does seem a bit, bright, though. Maybe swap in some dark bley?

51 minutes ago, Feuer Zug said:

Stellar reskin. The original Blacktron scheme works greats on this. The engine area does seem a bit, bright, though. Maybe swap in some dark bley?

Thanks! If I had thought of changing the engines before, @Feuer Zug, I would have... not taking it apart now!

4 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Thanks! If I had thought of changing the engines before, @Feuer Zug, I would have... not taking it apart now!

I was surprised to find out recently the original Blacktron Invader thruster was light gray. So the gray engines are actually in theme.

How mad would people be if someone made a black & white Blacktron 1 MOC based on Meteor Monitor colors? 😁

On 1/12/2023 at 9:28 AM, MRYJ said:

wow! looks great

Thank you @MRYJ!

On 1/12/2023 at 12:53 PM, danth said:

I was surprised to find out recently the original Blacktron Invader thruster was light gray. So the gray engines are actually in theme.

How mad would people be if someone made a black & white Blacktron 1 MOC based on Meteor Monitor colors? 😁

I didn't know that about the Invader. (Blacktron is normally out of my wheelhouse as a space builder) I'm so glad I didn't change the engines to dark bluish gray! Thanks for the info @danth!

Edited by Murdoch17

14 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Thank you @MRYJ!

I didn't know that about the Invader. (Blacktron is normally out of my wheelhouse as a space builder) I'm so glad I didn't change the engines to dark bluish gray! Thanks for the info @danth!

I am a Blacktron fan too, go checkout my BLACKTRON I MECHA buddy 😉

BT%20I%20MECHA%20+%20Hangar%20Stand_2-3.

@MRYJ Awesome! I also have Blacktron bot and a Iron Giant-inspired classic space mech.

51624521140_4705ae7257_z.jpg

However, I think maybe these two should reread Isaac Asimov's Three Rules of Robotics...

16 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

@MRYJ Awesome! I also have Blacktron bot and a Iron Giant-inspired classic space mech.

51624521140_4705ae7257_z.jpg

However, I think maybe these two should reread Isaac Asimov's Three Rules of Robotics...

hahah interesting, benny in the hand

1 minute ago, vexorian said:

How much of the original set remains in this?

I only ordered ~200 parts to create this. This includes black to replace white, yellow to replace azure, three more trans-red 1 x 1 tiles, a new control panel, and the logo parts. Every original brown, black, red, and green part stayed in... so quite a bit remains.

I hope this answers you question @vexorian!

First post updated 10/7/23 with WIP's of a new 70816 inspired Blacktron model, and a second XL-15 MOD.

53235739822_c5c903b382.jpg

"This is getting out of hand... now there are two of them!"

More real world pictures to come of both ships, probably later next week.

Edited by Murdoch17

The Blacktron Lightyear looks really great, same as the original modell. Great job on converting it. The only thing I would likely change is to change the nexoknight shield and the plate next to it to black also. 

On 10/7/2023 at 5:44 PM, GeoBrick said:

The Lightyear definitely loans itself for a blacktron conversion. Beautyful work there.

Thank you!

On 10/7/2023 at 7:41 PM, Black Falcon said:

The Blacktron Lightyear looks really great, same as the original modell. Great job on converting it. The only thing I would likely change is to change the nexoknight shield and the plate next to it to black also. 

Thanks, and good idea! I have added those parts need to convert the Nexo shield and clips to black to this new model's part list:

53248485701_8954cfa94b_z.jpg

This model was built from an 2002 Alpha Team set 4795 (Ogel Underwater base and AT sub) but heavily modified to fit into the Blacktron I theme. I had to fill in the spots where the flexible plastic "window' pieces were, replace the skull logo with the upside-down Tri-Force logo of Blacktron I, find ways to make the model almost totally "air tight", and add on a radar dish instead of a harpoon gun.

As on the original set, the logo folds down, where it can be used as a ramp. Also as on the original  set, the MOD folds open to access the inside details. Special shout out to Jon Mo who designed the brick built Blacktron logo I used on my model. Also, thanks to EliteGuard01 for finding that logo design and recommending it to me!

53248781818_55b31b0ecb_z.jpg

The rear of the model. I took out the fancy spinning wall of the original set and replaced it with a bank of windows.

53248986175_ebcf63c41d_z.jpg

The inside was very hard to figure out, as most space furniture is for me. I decided on four computer stations and a desk for the commander. Another source of trouble was to make the building open cleanly and close without holes. The original set struggled with this, and it failed miserably. However, I feel I managed to fix that.

First post updated, and title changed to reflect new purpose of the thread!

Main post edited today, just a few minutes ago!

53255904380_1bb094342e_z.jpg

The Blacktron command ship and second Blacktron Buzzard are built, but not complete in real life... I made a few mistakes, and the correct parts are coming with the Light Runner (so their final IRL pictures aren't done yet!). These parts and car were ordered 11/10/23, whereas the space outpost will be ordered as soon as the car's parts arrive.

Edited by Murdoch17

On 10/10/2023 at 11:40 AM, Murdoch17 said:

Thank you!

Thanks, and good idea! I have added those parts need to convert the Nexo shield and clips to black to this new model's part list:

53248485701_8954cfa94b_z.jpg

This model was built from an 2002 Alpha Team set 4795 (Ogel Underwater base and AT sub) but heavily modified to fit into the Blacktron I theme. I had to fill in the spots where the flexible plastic "window' pieces were, replace the skull logo with the upside-down Tri-Force logo of Blacktron I, find ways to make the model almost totally "air tight", and add on a radar dish instead of a harpoon gun.

As on the original set, the logo folds down, where it can be used as a ramp. Also as on the original  set, the MOD folds open to access the inside details. Special shout out to Jon Mo who designed the brick built Blacktron logo I used on my model. Also, thanks to EliteGuard01 for finding that logo design and recommending it to me!

53248781818_55b31b0ecb_z.jpg

The rear of the model. I took out the fancy spinning wall of the original set and replaced it with a bank of windows.

53248986175_ebcf63c41d_z.jpg

The inside was very hard to figure out, as most space furniture is for me. I decided on four computer stations and a desk for the commander. Another source of trouble was to make the building open cleanly and close without holes. The original set struggled with this, and it failed miserably. However, I feel I managed to fix that.

First post updated, and title changed to reflect new purpose of the thread!

Wow! I made something similar on Classic Space theme weeks ago.

That Lightyear ship looks awesome! I've been wanting to make a Blacktron version of it also. It seems to fit that theme perfectly. I haven't seen the movie, but that's just an absolutely incredible ship. I wish we could get a new space theme with vehicles of that caliber. I'd love to see more photos of it!

On 11/25/2023 at 11:24 PM, jodawill said:

That Lightyear ship looks awesome! I've been wanting to make a Blacktron version of it also. It seems to fit that theme perfectly. I haven't seen the movie, but that's just an absolutely incredible ship. I wish we could get a new space theme with vehicles of that caliber. I'd love to see more photos of it!

Thanks! I haven't seen Lightyear either, but I did see a documentary about it on Disney+. The director Angus MacLane (who has sadly since been fired because of the film's failure in theaters) designed all the ships in LEGO before putting them in the film, and made the XL-15's windscreen trans-yellow at one point in the film so LEGO would have to make the part in that color. He seems like the biggest LEGO space-fan since the original set designers in '78, and a real awesome guy... I just wish we could have gotten more of his ships from the film!

Edited by Murdoch17

53580781472_ecfb5ab189_z.jpg

Blacktron 1 rises again! All real world pictures added to first post! (To be honest, I've had these models built since at least last November, but finally got around to taking all these pictures just yesterday.)

On 3/13/2024 at 6:04 AM, SpacePolice89 said:

It's so cool to see other sets converted for the original space factions. You did a fantastic job! Some Star Wars sets also look great as converted, I found this on BrickFanatics:

https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-star-wars-meets-classic-space-in-this-fan-made-mashup

Thanks! I like the models in the link you posted... gives me some ideas for future projects!