gyenesvi

Technic Parts We Would Find Useful

Since I often ramble in various threads about certain parts not being available in lego technic, for a while I have been thinking about starting this thread, kind of a collection of hypothetical parts that we'd like if they existed. Since we are talking about parts that would mostly exist virtually for now, the purpose of the thread can mainly be coming up with ideas in virtual builds, seeing the possibilities that could potentially be achieved with lego technic, how far the system could be pushed.

Now the goal is not to go too far and dream about highly specialized parts that would solve one specific need and could only be used in very restricted circumstances. On the contrary, I have many part ideas in mind that would be fairly generic with many potential use cases, and would fit nicely into the technic system. In other words, they could one day be actually produced by TLG. Indeed, my secret dream is that some day somebody from TLG would wander here, see some of the ideas along with their potential benefits in builds and say, hey, let's produce this one :classic:. But even if that does not happen, we can exchange interesting building ideas, and maybe we can manufacture some of our part ideas through 3D printing or just cutting and glueing existing parts.

To keep things organized here, so that the parts would be easy to browse, this first post could be used as a catalog, which I would keep editing, while all other posts could be used for discussion and proposal of new part ideas. Proposing a part idea could be done by posting some renders of it, either made with Studio Part Designer or with any CAD program. But eventually it would be great to have .part files linked to the catalog items as well so that people can download them and use them in virtual builds (for example coming up with more use cases). Also, it would be great to be able to link the use cases to the parts as well somehow. Not sure if it is possible to reference one post from another post here. @Jim and @Milan, any tips about how to keep things organized?

Catalog of Parts

Each of these groups link to an .io file containing these parts from which the renders were made, and also the separate part files. The images link to higher resolution versions.

Liftarms and Thin Liftarms, missing sizes up to 8L (full: 4L, 6L, 8L, thin: 1L, 2L, 3L, 4L, 8L)

640x480.png

Liftarms with Alternating Holes (7L already exists, but not yet included in Studio) (2L, 3L, 4L, 5L, 6L ,7L, 8L, 13L)

640x480.png

L-Shaped Liftarms and O-Frames, full and thin versions (full L-beams: 2x2, 2x3, 3x4, thin L-beams: 2x2, 2x3, 3x4, thin O-frames: 3x3, 3x4, 3x5)

640x480.png

Beams with Pins at Both Ends, (Cada has them) would be quite useful for building arbitrary sized frames (2L, 3L, 5L, 7L).

640x480.png

Pins and Axles, mainly longer (sometimes shorter) versions of existing ones.

640x480.png

Links with Towball Sockets, without end stops to make them usable on both sides (3L, 4L, 5L, 7L, 8L, 9L).

640x480.png

Links with Towball Sockets Perpendicular, without end stops to make them usable on both sides (3L, 4L, 5L, 6L, 7L, 8L, 9L).

640x480.png

Links with Pinhole Ends, in odd lengths (5L, 7L, 9L, 11L, 13L)

640x480.png

Liftarms and Connectors with Towball Sockets, short lengths and connector style (liftarms: 2L, 3L, 4L, L-connectors: thin, wide)

640x480.png

Wheel hubs, for smaller / tighter driven and steered axles (towballs with CV-joint, towballs with 3-pin connector, pinholes with 3-pin connector, portal)

640x480.png

CV Joints and Universal Joints, with axles of various lengths. The universal joints might not be feasible due to too thin material. (U-joints: 2L, 3L, 2+2L, 2+3L, old type CV-joints: female 3L, male 2L, double male, new type CV-joints: female 2L, male 1.5L, male sliding 2L)

640x480.png

Flat Panels, in systematically increasing sizes (rectangular 3x5, 3x9, 5x5, 5x7, 5x9, trapezoidal 5x7)

640x480.png

Beams from the Alphabet (S, Z, T, H), various beam connectors (S5x10, S3x11, Z3x7, Z3x9, T3x5, H3x5)

640x480.png

Connectors, variations on existing ones.

640x480.png

Gears and Gear Racks, varying lengths and teeth counts (gear racks: 9L, 11L, clutch gears: 24T, 12T with pinhole, 12T with extender)

640x480.png

Edited by gyenesvi

I will write my propsals and and later try to do some simple renders:

1. Ungeared wheel hub that accepts the bigger CV joint

2. A shorter, hard shock absorber with 0,5 stud of travel for smaller models

3. 24 Tooth clutch gear which I already 3D printed:

640x629.PNG

640x585.PNG

4: Since internal combustion engines are being phased out; a generator with an intrgrated voltage regulator. It can be used for scale electric/hybrid cars to represent the drive motors and light up the LED lights. Ideally a flat design with PU ports.

Edited by Zerobricks

Speed controll switch on PF system

Every time when I use PF poll reverser switch I think this will very useful with servo motor. I already submit on new elementary's part contest.

But PF is discontinued now.

11 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

I will write my propsals and and later try to do some simple renders:

Thanks for the first ideas :)

1. Ungeared wheel hub that accepts the bigger CV joint

Though I would like this too, I think it's not possible with this or this part, because the new CV joints are just too big to fit into the available space, the pinholes are in the way. It would only be possible with fixed towballs, just like in case of the planetary hub. I guess this is why it has not yet been produced.

2. A shorter, hard shock absorber with 0,5 stud of travel for smaller models

Interesting, I have been thinking about the contrary, 7L shock with 1.5 studs of travel :)

3. 24 Tooth clutch gear which I already 3D printed:

That is on my list too.

4: Since internal combustion engines are being phased out; a generator with an intrgrated voltage regulator. It can be used for scale electric/hybrid cars to represent the drive motors and light up the LED lights. Ideally a flat design with PU ports.

I think this would be too specialized, but I'll wait for your detailed description.

10 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

Speed controll switch on PF system

Every time when I use PF poll reverser switch I think this will very useful with servo motor. I already submit on new elementary's part contest.

But PF is discontinued now.

This also sounds a bit too specialized and as you say would be part of a discontinued system.

12 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Pin with ball socket with friction. Kinda like Mixel joints but for Technic.

Do you mean something like these? I've just ordered a few from webrick.com. I think they are without friction though, but I have not tried them yet. 

10 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

How would you use that, what would it mesh with?

16 t gear. It will also mesh with itself. 32 t is the only "missing" in the range 8 t - 40 t.

Edited by kolbjha

85x85p.jpg?1658325709.6757798 and 85x85p.jpg?1658326043.6478193 but with axle hole. Especially the former!

A 2x2 liftarm with 4 pinholes. Like the holes on 85x85p.jpg?1658325738.3277845 but without the teeth. Many diverse instances where I could've really really used that.

28 minutes ago, kolbjha said:

16 t gear. It will also mesh with itself. 32 t is the only "missing" in the range 8 t - 40 t.

Indeed, I haven't even really thought about that.

26 minutes ago, astyanax said:

85x85p.jpg?1658325709.6757798 and 85x85p.jpg?1658326043.6478193 but with axle hole. Especially the former!

These are indeed great ones!

26 minutes ago, astyanax said:

A 2x2 liftarm with 4 pinholes. Many diverse instances where I could've really really used that.

Sounds interesting as well, do you have some illustrative use cases (renders)? What I often also find missing is a 2x2 L shaped one.

Great threads @gyenesvi! In case of parts, most of the most desired parts are already mentioned here, so I won't repeat them. The only thing which comes to my mind is wheel hub, so imagine a hub, like this: 250x250p.jpg?1658337805.3528805 but it has 3 studs and fits to 30mm rims, so a mix of 250x250p.jpg?1658332809.516523 (or eventually32186-7-080ba2b4-34af-43f3-a6b2-3053fbb7) and 250x250p.jpg?1658335291.58451

11 minutes ago, keymaker said:

Great threads @gyenesvi! In case of parts, most of the most desired parts are already mentioned here, so I won't repeat them. The only thing which comes to my mind is wheel hub, so imagine a hub, like this:  but it has 3 studs and fits to 30mm rims, so a mix of  (or eventually) and

You mean like 32495 but with axle output and probably shorter steering arms?

32495c01.png

Edited by Zerobricks

1 minute ago, Zerobricks said:

You mean 3249 but with axle output and probably shorter steering arms?

32495c01.png

Yes, exactly. It would be a game changer when making small independent front suspension with driven wheels. Because to be honest, there is a gap in lego parts catalog when it comes to hubs for 30mm rims. I mean with drive. I think TLG is not interested with preparing a type of parts which are available and updated (even lately like new wheel hub 46490) for bigger rims.

Glad you like it @keymaker :) Your steering hub idea is also interesting, maybe you could try to make it in Part Designer? That's even better suited for smaller builds like my idea.

What I was thinking the other day is a hub like 32495c01.png but with steering arms like on250x250p.jpg?1658337805.3528805placed in the middle horizontally. Will post it later.

It is a bit strange to me, because we all know and understand, that there is a limit how small lego parts can be to be useful. But still we have quite a choice of wheel hubs for bigger rims, where there is enough space to build own ones from available parts. But in case of small rims, like 30mm there is not much to do and we need to rely on available, specialized parts, which aren't many.

I don't have a render of the part but I would like to see a part that merges a driving ring extension with a z=12 gear. But maybe that is just me unable to solve a gearbox design issue at the moment. :)

Edited by zoo

I have added to the catalog a bunch of steering/suspension link parts with towball socket ends, in all length, including perpendicular version. I think their potential use cases are obvious. A special one is the 9L link, which does exist but is not double sided, so often it cannot be used.

The next class of parts is joints :) Here are my candidates.

CV%20Joints%20and%20Universal%20Joints.p

The first pair is for the new larger type of heavy-duty CV joints. The female is with a 2L axle (this can be made at home by cutting the existing 3L). The male part is with 1.5L axle. According to my simulation in Studio, the axle unfortunately could go all the way to the ball and become 2L, as that would be too close and would block it from spinning by hitting the female part when articulated at around 20 degrees or more.

The next pair is for the older but narrower CV joint. For this a 2L male part seems possible (Cada has a 2.5L version). Also, a 3L long version of the female part would be useful, just like the new one, but used where the new bigger one does not fit because of space constraints.

Next are variations for U-joints with axles. I think this is only possible if the axle is like a stop axle, so for example it cannot be 2L just 1.9L with the stop being part of the middle body of the joint. That may not be a big limitation though, as it could perfectly fit into pinholes, which would be the typical use anyway. However, there are a couple of variations possible: with axle on one side (2L or 3L), or with axles on both ends (2x 2L or 2L + 3L). Which ones would you guys find most useful?

I think the new Ford GT will have either the narrower CV Male joint with the 2L axle (or 2.5L), or some variation of the U-joints. What I'd really like to see though is the ones of the new CV joint, as those are the ones tough enough for RC models.

34 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

maybe you could try to make it in Part Designer?

I consider myself quite good in Studio, but I'm a completely noob in Part Designer so sorry for what I'm going to show you :D But I tested it with old and new 30mm rims and it would be a great part. For sports cars, you put it all way down into new 30mm rims and you have perfect pivot point and small range of motion (but it would be enough because sport cars don't need much). For off-road cars you are using old/standard 30mm rims or new 30mm rims but with one stud space between part and rim (you can use it for adding details like disk brakes). And in such case you have bigger range of movement, perfect for off-road.

400x300.png

1 minute ago, zoo said:

I don't have a render of the part but I would like to see a part that merges a driving ring extension with a z=12 gear. But maybe that is just me unable to solve a gearbox design issue at the moment. :)

So that would essentially be a 12T clutch gear right? But with the extension ring, as in itself it's too small. I have that on my list as well. Will try to make a studio part.

5 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

I have added to the catalog a bunch of steering/suspension link parts with towball socket ends, in all length, including perpendicular version. I think their potential use cases are obvious. A special one is the 9L link, which does exist but is not double sided, so often it cannot be used.

The next class of parts is joints :) Here are my candidates.

The first pair is for the new larger type of heavy-duty CV joints. The female is with a 2L axle (this can be made at home by cutting the existing 3L). The male part is with 1.5L axle. According to my simulation in Studio, the axle unfortunately could go all the way to the ball and become 2L, as that would be too close and would block it from spinning by hitting the female part when articulated at around 20 degrees or more.

The next pair is for the older but narrower CV joint. For this a 2L male part seems possible (Cada has a 2.5L version). Also, a 3L long version of the female part would be useful, just like the new one, but used where the new bigger one does not fit because of space constraints.

Next are variations for U-joints with axles. I think this is only possible if the axle is like a stop axle, so for example it cannot be 2L just 1.9L with the stop being part of the middle body of the joint. That may not be a big limitation though, as it could perfectly fit into pinholes, which would be the typical use anyway. However, there are a couple of variations possible: with axle on one side (2L or 3L), or with axles on both ends (2x 2L or 2L + 3L). Which ones would you guys find most useful?

I think the new Ford GT will have either the narrower CV Male joint with the 2L axle (or 2.5L), or some variation of the U-joints. What I'd really like to see though is the ones of the new CV joint, as those are the ones tough enough for RC models.

Great renders. I hope that the new parts used in Ford GT are actually the universal joints, since IMO they are more useful and robust than the normal (small) CV joints. The new (large) CV joint is NOT possible in the Ford GT, since there is not enough room between the suspension arms.

Edited by Zerobricks

1 minute ago, gyenesvi said:

So that would essentially be a 12T clutch gear right? But with the extension ring, as in itself it's too small. I have that on my list as well. Will try to make a studio part.

Exacly like what you described. :thumbup:

Ah and I forgot.

4 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

Links with Towball Sockets, without end stops to make them usable on both sides (3L, 4L, 5L, 7L, 8L, 9L).

Those links would be beter having flat central part, just like present Technic Link 1 x 9.

3 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

The new CV joint is NOT possible in the Ford GT, since there is not enough room between the suspension arms.

Sure, I know that, I meant sometime in the future in some RC model. And indeed, U-joints in the Ford would actually be a bit more exciting.

3 minutes ago, keymaker said:

Ah and I forgot.

Those links would be beter having flat central part, just like present Technic Link 1 x 9.

I did think about that as well, but then sometimes it can also matter in which direction it is flat, so just decided to keep it simple for now.

10 minutes ago, keymaker said:

I consider myself quite good in Studio, but I'm a completely noob in Part Designer so sorry for what I'm going to show you :D But I tested it with old and new 30mm rims and it would be a great part. For sports cars, you put it all way down into new 30mm rims and you have perfect pivot point and small range of motion (but it would be enough because sport cars don't need much). For off-road cars you are using old/standard 30mm rims or new 30mm rims but with one stud space between part and rim (you can use it for adding details like disk brakes). And in such case you have bigger range of movement, perfect for off-road.

400x300.png

Did you try and build with this? I think this concept has a fundamental problem; the steering link will need to go too close to the center of the axle, and there will be no space for the diff (or any gearing). How do you go around that? The version with the one longer steering arm could be better, even that's hard to use in driven axles.

What do you mean by bigger range of movement for off-road?