gyenesvi

Technic Parts We Would Find Useful

1 minute ago, Zerobricks said:

I'm thinking of drawing up some modernized wheels with a stud deeper offset for 1:12 scale cars.

Very curious about the result

As promised, here's a quick dirty concept of a medium sized racing wheel with a deeper offset:

640x722.jpg

When used with the miniature hubs, the pivot point is now nice and deep inside the wheel and there's enough space for the link to pass by even at maximum angle:

640x806.jpg

And there's plenty of space for the small hub and suspension arms:

640x769.jpg

I'm planning to update the wheel to have only 3 holes, all aligned with the spokes to make it even lighter and give it more open space.

1 hour ago, Zerobricks said:

medium sized racing wheel with a deeper offset:

Oh yeah, this IS the missing gem in TLG collection. We have small one, we have big one, there is high time for the medium size version of such rim.

For street cars would be OK, not for big suspension travel (for steered axle)

39 minutes ago, Jurss said:

not for big suspension travel (for steered axle)

Don't be pessimistic, give us off-roaders a chance to try :D

Here's a second version and I'm really proud of it clean it turned out:

640x574.jpg

I reduced the width of the rim from origina 26 to 24 mm, giving me a nice and flat front surface. Reduced the number of mounting holes to 6 and thereby opened up the wheel and lost a lot of useless mass. Since the spokes and holes are now alligned, it looks so much cleaner.

On 1/13/2023 at 11:29 AM, gyenesvi said:

640x480.png

FYI, the 3 angled axle connectors on the right (angles #3,#4,#5) are meanwhile available from gobricks.

4 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

I reduced the width of the rim from origina 26 to 24 mm, giving me a nice and flat front surface. Reduced the number of mounting holes to 6 and thereby opened up the wheel and lost a lot of useless mass. Since the spokes and holes are now alligned, it looks so much cleaner.

This looks really clean indeed. The design is either 3D printer friendly with that flat surface, or you polished it a lot to look nice :)

8 hours ago, keymaker said:

Oh yeah, this IS the missing gem in TLG collection. We have small one, we have big one, there is high time for the medium size version of such rim.

I think a reason might be that at this size you'd want to use them with a wheel hub with a 3-pin connector, but a 2 stud long steering arm that those have would not fin inside such rims, so it is kind of not usable with existing 3-pin wheel hubs for a steered axle, only that small one. It could maybe work with a wheel hub that has Ackerman geometry on the steering arm.

4 hours ago, karmadrome said:

FYI, the 3 angled axle connectors on the right (angles #3,#4,#5) are meanwhile available from gobricks.

Thanks, that's good to know! Is it something new? A few weeks ago when I looked through all the parts I have not seen them.

1 hour ago, dhc6twinotter said:

I’d also like to see a 5x5x2 panel with the same curvature as the large triangle panels.  Preferably with no pin holes on the thin side.

Would that be a short but wide wing shape?

I have two pieces I wanted and I made:

24tooth gearbox gear, made out of a differential

12 tooth gear drilled and glued to a standard 16 tooth gearbox gear.

This allowed me to build a simple 4 speeds sequential gearbox

y4mkwcWn1NIoPRoVkXy75kYf58OtapSZPezHWPnvy4mMbxger46qxl6BjTkHlwT24ZEX8RvHfL-PbAlP

On 1/19/2023 at 10:38 AM, JoKo said:

24tooth gearbox gear, made out of a differential

12 tooth gear drilled and glued to a standard 16 tooth gearbox gear.

Indeed, these are gears that I have also wanted to put on the list, so I made them in part designer. Also, in one case, I would have found a 12T free spinning gear useful, so that it can transfer drive while another axle is going through it. Furthermore, another category is gear racks in different lengths, 9L and 11L would be quite often useful. I have added these to the catalog on the first page.

640x480.png

@gyenesvi gear rack 9 or 11 studs kong would save my biggest problem now to make narrow and short steered, driven live axle using reduction hubs 

I've faced in practice that the most usefull would be 2L clutch compatible with new diffs (with 5 gears inside).

On 1/16/2023 at 3:29 PM, Zerobricks said:

640x574.jpg

I wonder if even in theory you could develop a wheel with a lot of spokes, e.g. 19-22? https://vossenwheels.com/wheel/hf-8/

Edited by Aleh

10 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Of course, that's easy.

Well, would like to see the result :)

58 minutes ago, artemisovsky said:

What about the pneumatic rotor?

Interesting idea, but what problem does it solve, as opposed to electric motors?

The only advantage I can quickly think of is that it's easy to route pneumatic hoses in far away places, while electric cables are restricted in length (even with PF extension cables there are practical limits).

I'm not sure though if pneumatic motor would be practical in Lego form, it consumes a lot of air so pump end of the system would have to be pretty heavy (or motor speed and power very low). 

7 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Interesting idea, but what problem does it solve, as opposed to electric motors?

I am not the person you are asking the question to, but it can be connected to an air tank. This can be used to make a train drive without needing batteries or electricity, just like the old ones for example.

1 hour ago, Lira_Bricks said:

I am not the person you are asking the question to, but it can be connected to an air tank. This can be used to make a train drive without needing batteries or electricity, just like the old ones for example.

True, but how far the would train drive with just the air contained in a single air tank, or even multiple tanks? So would it still need a compressor, powered by electric motor?

4 hours ago, howitzer said:

For example, pneumatic motor should be cheaper than an electric one and does not require a phone/tablet to play. Unfortunately, I know something like this will never happen because it is always cheaper and faster apply manual control.

4 hours ago, Lira_Bricks said:

... it can be connected to an air tank. This can be used to make a train drive without needing batteries or electricity, just like the old ones for example.

Exactly. It would be very nice to build a vehicle with pneumatic drive. That rotor could also be used in rolling winch, boom extension, rotating crane superstructure. It would be possible to create a set like crane 42082 operated only by pneumatics.

1 hour ago, artemisovsky said:

Exactly. It would be very nice to build a vehicle with pneumatic drive.

You would need an enormous air tank. One can get more mileage out of pullback motors (better energy density than air).