Hello Dear Forum, it's been a while since I started a new model topic - finally the time came.

Before start showing the model I'd lke to share some lifestory if it's creation.

In spring 2022 because of several reasons (and none of them were positive) I relocated to Poland from Belarus. When I first time came to the old town center I found...a constrution with Liebherr LRB 355 in the center. What it was a beauty :) So I decided to build it. In autumn I was able to bring here most of my parts collection so I started to build.

Please welcome Lego Liebherr LRB 355 Drill Machine

1280x960.JPG

The model was built on new CAT links, has realistic subtrator drivetrain and a banch of functions:

- Drive - XL motor

- Steering - XL motor

- Slewing - L motor

- Pump + V12 Engine + cooler fans - L motor

- Outriggers - L Motor

- Pneumatic switch - M motor

- Drill rotation - M motor

- Drill elevation - M motor

- Tower rise - XL motor

The tower has a crane on the top with all necessary functions:

- raising/lowering - by pump

- rotation - human fingers 

- Winch - human fingers 

- Extansion - human fingers 

Electric: 2 small battery boxes, 2 sBricks, 9 motor, 2 polarity switchers and a banch of extension wires.

Parts count is unknown, but a guess it's aprox 3500-4000 parts.

Naked boom is 1 meter tall, while boom + outrigger (forgot about it while filming) + erased crane increases it ti 137 cm.

Boom is pretty stable, it can be suspended in the air or may stay on outrigger. During lowering it bends a bit, but here is a balance of weight and robust.

All photos are available here: https://bricksafe.com/pages/Aleh/liebherr-lrb-355  For photo/video I used iPhone 12 Pro only.

1280x960.JPG

1280x960.JPG

1280x960.JPG

1280x960.JPG

1280x960.JPG

1280x960.JPG

1280x960.JPG

All feedbacks and critics are welcomed and highly appreciated!

First of all it is nice to here that you are in Poland, because i was affraid that you vould be recruited into army and sent to Ukrainian front. Your Liebherr is impressive, but i have one suggestions; to run more smoothly use driveline like on LEGO liebherr from XL motor and mount reduction hub at sprocket wheel to gain smooth ride...(that was my obly possibility to make XL motors work smooth)

This is a colossal build!! WOW!!! I was wondering how you have built two pneumatic cylinders together? Could you please share that?

Also, what parts did you use between the two ring gears (for the turntable)?

1 hour ago, 1gor said:

First of all it is nice to here that you are in Poland, because i was affraid that you vould be recruited into army and sent to Ukrainian front. Your Liebherr is impressive, but i have one suggestions; to run more smoothly use driveline like on LEGO liebherr from XL motor and mount reduction hub at sprocket wheel to gain smooth ride...(that was my obly possibility to make XL motors work smooth)

Thanks mate! And the reduction presents, but not on a spocket..

50 minutes ago, 1963maniac said:

This is a colossal build!! WOW!!! I was wondering how you have built two pneumatic cylinders together? Could you please share that?

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-91126/%40McCatty_TECH/pneumatic-cylinder-bracket-v2-large-2-x-11/#comments

52 minutes ago, 1963maniac said:

Also, what parts did you use between the two ring gears (for the turntable)?

Identical to 42082 set :)

24 minutes ago, Aleh said:

Thanks mate! And the reduction presents, but not on a spocket..

then it looks like this lack of smoothness when Liebherr is crawling is due to Caterpillar tracks that slip on surface or my slow mobile phone?

Edited by 1gor

2 hours ago, 1gor said:

then it looks like this lack of smoothness when Liebherr is crawling is due to Caterpillar tracks that slip on surface or my slow mobile phone?

It's really has a lack of smootheness, maybe because of weight, maybe one XL is not enough, or maybe simply drivetrain in not flawless

9 hours ago, Aleh said:

It's really has a lack of smootheness, maybe because of weight, maybe one XL is not enough, or maybe simply drivetrain in not flawless

that's why i prefer smaller/ lighter MOCs...but there is also a limit how small it can be ...how it performs on vehicles with different tire sizes, etc...

10 minutes ago, 1gor said:

that's why i prefer smaller/ lighter MOCs...but there is also a limit how small it can be ...how it performs on vehicles with different tire sizes, etc...

I understood at light that this lack of smoothless is because of subtractor system - there are a lot of gears between motor and wheel spocket, each pair has backlash. The positive moment is that thee torgue is enough :)

1 hour ago, Aleh said:

I understood at light that this lack of smoothless is because of subtractor system - there are a lot of gears between motor and wheel spocket, each pair has backlash. The positive moment is that thee torgue is enough :)

Lots of gears could be the reason for it; usually I plan less gears as possible and short axle "reinforced" with axle joiners rather than long axles because XL motors twist longer axled like rubber bands...

I really like the look of this machine, great job! And to use pneumatics is always a plus for me ;-)

But as @1gor said, the drivetrain could be tweaked a little bit. Can you make a sketch or post the drivetrain as a .io pic? Seems like it's building up tension in the drivetrain axle and then it's suddenly released and moves 1 tread forwards...

6 hours ago, Jundis said:

I really like the look of this machine, great job! And to use pneumatics is always a plus for me ;-)

But as @1gor said, the drivetrain could be tweaked a little bit. Can you make a sketch or post the drivetrain as a .io pic? Seems like it's building up tension in the drivetrain axle and then it's suddenly released and moves 1 tread forwards...

maybe inconsistent movement as is result of reduction to close to XL motor; at least i had this problem on my previous attempt that was presented as idea in my tread. Real expert in this area is actually @Zerobricks

Edited by 1gor

For consistent movement I suggest having the gearing as close to the drive gears as possible. If you are sending high torque on a long shaft, it will bend and release tension once friction has been overcame and repeat.

6 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

For consistent movement I suggest having the gearing as close to the drive gears as possible. If you are sending high torque on a long shaft, it will bend and release tension once friction has been overcame and repeat.

Thank you for the advice!

On 1/10/2023 at 10:18 AM, Jundis said:

Can you make a sketch or post the drivetrain as a .io pic? 

Bricksafe cut off the quaility. You guys are right in every place - log axles + reduction close to motors and far from sprocket.

1280x720.jpg

Very high friction here, there goes you power loss to ;-)

I am not a big fan of such substractor gearboxes at all. Could be cool for small build, but here, you only loose power because of friction and complexity. That's why the 42100 has just spur gears and 2 motors for driving.

Only thing that wouldn't be a complete overhaul is the usage of the reduction hubs from 42099.

Also: I would just use 1 sprocket for driving and the other one as an idler.

5 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Only thing that wouldn't be a complete overhaul is the usage of the reduction hubs from 42099.

Doon't remember why, but I refused drom idea of using those hubs after several attempts.

And subtractor was my dream- I never build it before in any of my cralwer MOCs.

Definitely to much gears... you can use reduction gears instead of lots of gears here...

I don't know why but after creating that drivetrain render I can't ind *.io file anymore.

hm... I'm not good in digital development; I rather stick to my fingers, but you can search "*.io" on your PC (C: D: ... which drive you have)...and see if you find something.

On 1/13/2023 at 3:10 PM, 1gor said:

hm... I'm not good in digital development; I rather stick to my fingers, but you can search "*.io" on your PC (C: D: ... which drive you have)...and see if you find something.

No worries, it got lost, But I had i copy a bit obsolete so I was able to restore chassis in one hour.

On 1/13/2023 at 6:20 PM, Milan said:

Frontpaged.

Yeap! Thank you very much!

Edited by Aleh