Sign in to follow this  
Ross Fisher

Lurker's Bay

This is a platform for all the people out there who are just lurking on the forum, trying to decide whether to join up or not. Are you worried you don't have enough parts? Or do you think you're not a good enough builder? Do you have any questions you'd like to ask? Or suggestions for things we should build, or challenges we should try? What would it take you to get involved? Or are you just happy to lurk? Either way, say Hi, and show some love. 

Edited by Ross Fisher

While I would not wish to step on anyone's toes, might we not point to the following threads:

Otherwise I fear we will end up with too many pinned threads? :pirate:

I totally thought it was a newly posted hideout, when I saw the title! :pir-grin:

I meself lurk around here sometimes to see some of these outstanding MOCs that ye all present. Have thought of joining some time ago but realised that I have far too little resources for the game (currently most have went into a MOC I have been building since May of 2021 :pir_wacko:).

@Jack Sassy I should say that some of our members do very well with a limited collection. While some of the builds are huge and awesome, some of the best stories are told in small vignettes. So don't feel discouraged. Particularly Esl and OL would be happy to have some extra hands on board, even if activity is not at 200%

3 hours ago, Bregir said:

So don't feel discouraged.

Apart from MOC building, I am a bit busy nowadays, so will have to pass on yer kind offer. Thank you anyway! :pir-thumb:

5 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

I have far too little resources for the game (currently most have went into a MOC I have been building since May of 2021 :pir_wacko:).

Nae bother. You do you! Send us a link to the MOC when it's complete!

30 minutes ago, Ross Fisher said:

Send us a link to the MOC when it's complete!

Will do, but keep an eye on Pirate MOCs subforum, I am planning to post it there once finished. :pir-thumb:

21 hours ago, Bregir said:

I totally thought it was a newly posted hideout, when I saw the title! :pir-grin:

I thought so too! It's a nice name after all :pir_laugh2:

i would like to point out to the Lurkers that we at the Sea Rat faction are always in the mood to help one another, and remember; we have the best grog around these parts.

On 1/8/2023 at 5:48 PM, Ross Fisher said:

@Bregir Absolutely. I was throwing this out there as a one-time thing to see whether we got any responses. I certainly don't think it needs to be pinned.

good idea, i lurked a long time myself before signing up, I can image more people get thrown off by the amount of rules, builds and history which has been build up, but we love new stories and there is no need reading everything before you sign up.

On 1/8/2023 at 5:58 PM, Bregir said:

me too, i envy the fact i didn't came up with this original name earlier for a settlement :pir-laugh:

3 hours ago, Fraunces said:

we have the best grog around these parts.

:pir-huzzah2:

3 hours ago, Fraunces said:

there is no need reading everything before you sign up.

Likewise, if you're not ready to sign up for anything, Lurker's Bay is just a place where you can say hello without anyone trying to put too much pressure on you to join. 

I feel so overwhelmed whenever I browse this sub-forum, also it seems to me like it must be really time consuming, the whole story building. Still, I do admire everyone who participates here. Maybe one day :)

@zinnn that's exactly why I wanted to start this thread! The important thing is that not everyone plays the game the same way. For example, I can't handle all the complexity around ships, so I ignore it. Someone like @Khorne tends to do their own thing, but just uses the BOBS world as a backdrop. It's up to you just how involved you get. 

Feeling guilty of lurking around every now and then^^ I really like the setting with a combination of early-modern period and trade, especially the tMRCA (?). I cannot oversee all the complexity, but it dawns me that it might be quite difficult to balance established players with a lot of wealth against new(er) players, especially when it comes to the shipping-schedule and piracy. 

2 hours ago, TribunM said:

but it dawns me that it might be quite difficult to balance established players with a lot of wealth against new(er) players, especially when it comes to the shipping-schedule and piracy. 

That was exactly what I thought when I joined BoBS (few years ago) and this si absolutely wrong.

Don't be afraid to join, post your first properties/ship, enter the tMRCA (or not, this is not mandatory), tell your story and have fun.

Whatever the team you will choose you will find here help and advices.

@zinnn : enter the game at your own rate... there is no hurry (it could have some when it comes the time of a challenge)

Definitely as a once active player and current mediocre lurker I can say that there's lots of support behind the scenes.  Which is convenient for jumping back into the game without being lost assuming one can find the time for pirate shenanigans when they aren't building train displays lmao.

I am really intrigued to participate, but besides my still finite collection of Lego parts and little time I am interested in totally opposite fractions: 

• I really like the approach of Eslandola (did my MA thesis on VOC and EIC) and all concerning trade. From my understanding, that fraction is on the weaker side in terms of players and might need some help, albeit small in my case.
  • I really like the flair of Oleon with it's binding to the state/ king and its emodiement, e.g. in the rank system. They seem to have an abundance of players.

Am I missing something essential for Eslandola?` 

@TribunM

No, you didn't miss something essential.

You are welcome whatever the side you will choose and whatever the amount of bricks you have.

I started myself with not the full collection I now have. I had to pick back all that was left in my parents house and I made several bricklink orders in addition with harvest of parts in any legostore encountered 😁

The essential is to tell your own story and to enjoy your trip on the brick seas

1 hour ago, TribunM said:

I am really intrigued to participate, but besides my still finite collection of Lego parts and little time I am interested in totally opposite fractions: 

We all have finite collections :pir-grin:  Well, except the digital builders...

Would love to see you come join Eslandola!

17 hours ago, TribunM said:

the rank system.

We've let that slip for a while now. No-one is in a leadership position who can take responsibility for the ranks anymore :pir-bawling:

But there are plenty of organisations outside of the factions that do grant ranks. For example, I run the Knights Treasurer, who grant knighthoods to dedicated builders. And there is the Order of Navigation. 

22 hours ago, TribunM said:

• I really like the approach of Eslandola (did my MA thesis on VOC and EIC) and all concerning trade. From my understanding, that fraction is on the weaker side in terms of players and might need some help, albeit small in my case.
  • I really like the flair of Oleon with it's binding to the state/ king and its emodiement, e.g. in the rank system. They seem to have an abundance of players.

Am I missing something essential for Eslandola?` 

I'd suggest you consider what sort of story you would like to tell. If the nobility, tradition, faith, military is where you see your stories, I'd suggest Oleon, but if it is the trade companies, merchants development, I would go ro Esl. Both factions would welcome you, i am sure :pir-huzzah2:

First of all: thanks for the replies! There are some ideas in my head for both parties, so I will stay a bit and lurke and see how that comes out.