MrLind

[Freebuild] Customs house at Faeril

Gyrdher had traveled with a merchant to Faeril. The boat was docked at the waterside a short distance outside the city gate, at an unofficial market where no duty was required to buy or sell goods. Something that an economical merchant appreciates.

Gyrdher therefore had to walk the last short distance into the city. Which he didn't mind.

It was with some trepidation he looked at Faeril. Actually, he did not know what he had expected but it didn't look as impressive as he had imagined when he was sitting in the bow of the boat half asleep.

52612616511_0054695469_z.jpg

Faeril's city wall was nothing more than a plank that marks the economic boundary of the city. Gyrdher was a little disappointed. He had dreamed of a noble city with high walls and watchtowers. The merchant saw the disappointment in Gyrdher's face. “It doesn't look like much to the world. Right?" He nodded at the plank that didn't look well built. “The city has not spent money on walls. When you enter the center of the city, you will not be disappointed.” The merchant scratched his jaw while looking at the plank. “And by the way, I don't think a carpenter will be unemployed for long in this town. At least if he is willing to work.” Gyrdher was instantly in a better mood. He helped the merchant unload his goods and then headed for the customs house.

52613100578_2eeab7ef0d_z.jpg

In front of the customs house a tired customs officer was sitting at a desk. It had been a long day. The sun was going down and soon the city gate would close so that he could go home to his wife. He licked his lips as he was thinking about the soup waiting for him at home. The customs officer waked up from his daydreaming when Gyrdher approached him.

"And what are you going to pay duty for?” he says a little sourly, while the thought of the soup disappear.

“My name is Gyrdher.” says Gyrdher little shyly. He had not expected these sharp words from the customs officer. "I am a carpenter who wants to find work in the city." The word carpenter made the customs officer stop mourning the soup that had disappeared. A smile spread across his face. “Then you have come to the right place, my son. If you can fix the stairs to my house, you can have a roof over your head for the night and some warm soup as compensation.”

Gyrdher's stomach rumbles, which the customs officer laughingly interprets as a yes. “Good, I'll close the gates. Then we can go to my house and have supper.” Gyrdher thinks to himself that this day seems to be ending really well. A roof over his head and bowl of food. Gyrdher needs nothing more from life.

52613100833_4ba2447a9f_z.jpg

52613036790_a0c19fdbe8_z.jpg

Gyrdher works quickly. Fixing the stairs was easy for someone who had to fix all that was broken on the farm at home. While Gyrdher works, the customs officer stands by and tells him about his wife's soup that was waiting for them. “… and she only cooks it on Thursdays. It’s the richest soup you can taste in Faeril.” Gyrdher realised that he had probably missed half of what the customs officer talked about as he was concentrating on the work. But it seemed that the customs officer did not expect Gyrdher to answer.

Gyrdher gathers his tools and turns to the customs officer. "Then I’m done and your stairs is whole again".

The customer officer shook his head as he woke up from his daydreaming.

"Good, good" He says a little tired and almost sour. The soup had disappeared from his thoughts again. Then he shined upp. “Do you know what awaits us?” He says expectantly. Gyrdher can't hold back a smile. “Could it be Faeril's best soup?” The customs officer smiled back even wider. “Right, my son.”

52612616176_5fda80f95f_z.jpg

52612878629_571e1aa990_z.jpg

Gyrdher satt on the edge of the bed after supper with a smile. “What a fantastic first day of my adventure. This morning I woke up at mother and father's farm house.” Gyrdher told himself. “Packed my few belongings and set out on a journey in Avalonia. How lucky I have been to travel with a merchant to Faeril. And then got both food and shelter over my head just by helping the customs officer with his broken stairs.” Gyrdher laid down on the bed. “I wonder what surprises tomorrow can offer.” he thought as his head touched the pillow and he was asleep immediately. Dreaming of soup.

52613037115_30b8e447f2_z.jpg

52613036590_904f63d697_z.jpg

52613036675_2fb2b1b13c_z.jpg

nice work! I really like the combination of the nougat coloured way and the olive green trees. they work well combined with the more classical colours like normal green or tan and brown.

Very nice scene! I love the vegetation, especially the vine on the wall and the little flowers by the house - nice use of those angled green parts! I also like how the gates look credible both from the front and from the back. 

PS: interesting story, now I'd like some soup too...

Nice little build!  I love how much you were able to get out of it with all the story shots.  The interior looks really cozy!

On 1/9/2023 at 3:25 AM, Simon_S said:

nice work! I really like the combination of the nougat coloured way and the olive green trees. they work well combined with the more classical colours like normal green or tan and brown.

Thanks Simon. The olive green tree was for me a new experience and gave me new knowled how to build tree and bushes.

On 1/9/2023 at 9:33 PM, Aurore said:

Very nice scene! I love the vegetation, especially the vine on the wall and the little flowers by the house - nice use of those angled green parts! I also like how the gates look credible both from the front and from the back. 

PS: interesting story, now I'd like some soup too...

Thanks Aurore. I have start experimenting with the small angle parts and love them. For example to create smal cute flowers.

On 1/9/2023 at 11:35 PM, Kai NRG said:

Nice little build!  I love how much you were able to get out of it with all the story shots.  The interior looks really cozy!

Thanks Kai NRG. For me, the story telling within GoH inspiring me to add a new dimension to the builds. Now when Gyrdher has arrived to Fairil, I need to go back to the drawing board and sketch new stories.

What a cool build!  I love seeing the more common town entrances.  So many times I see grand gatehouses, but we forget most were just wooden gates.  This looks great.  I like that you did some interesting elevation changes with the small hill and hinges rather than just stacked plates.  The snotted palisade bricks on the Tudor walls also look great.  The roof is very sharp looking, and the plants are at nice angles. You did a good job hiding the angled pieces for the plants too. Love the detailed interior, and I think you chose a good color scheme for Avalonia.  Nice touches with the Avalonian colors here and there too.  Well done!