BrickWild

10317 Land Rover Classic Defender Discussion

This seems to be a fantastic set. I like the color for the interior (seems to be olive green). It's expensive, but it seems quite packed with stuff, both on the outside and the inside. Therefore it looks small for the amount of parts you get. This is not a bad thing, I rather have this than a larger model.

Seeing this, they just shouldn't have even made the Technic version from a few years back (which I found a really mediocre set).

There's only 2 things I don't like.

• The single-used pieces for the wheel arches look like a cheat. This should have been done with cheese slopes and hinges, or something else involving more useful parts. I don't mind if you can see it's a Lego model).
  • The towing hook at the rear seems only connected to 2 studs. This way, it will fall of really easily and that's exactly what a towing hook shouldn't be doing. I find it very strange that it isn't built as part of the Technic chassis to ensure strength.

1 minute ago, Erik Leppen said:

This seems to be a fantastic set. I like the color for the interior (seems to be olive green). It's expensive, but it seems quite packed with stuff, both on the outside and the inside. Therefore it looks small for the amount of parts you get. This is not a bad thing, I rather have this than a larger model.

Seeing this, they just shouldn't have even made the Technic version from a few years back (which I found a really mediocre set).

• The single-used pieces for the wheel arches look like a cheat. This should have been done with cheese slopes and hinges, or something else involving more useful parts. I don't mind if you can see it's a Lego model).
  • The towing hook at the rear seems only connected to 2 studs. This way, it will fall of really easily and that's exactly what a towing hook shouldn't be doing. I find it very strange that it isn't built as part of the Technic chassis to ensure strength.

Besides, I could figure out a more robust design for the towing hitch.

6 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

interior is dark tan

Bags 4 to 6 done. I will keep updating the above linked Studio file as I build on.
10317_2.png10317_3.png

Oi, where's the reverse light? :tongue: Needs to be on the left side next to blinker!

Just noticed how beefy the tow hitch attachment is. And are those vertical City windshields used as those safari windows?

2 hours ago, Polarlicht said:

Oi, where's the reverse light? :tongue: Needs to be on the left side next to blinker!

Just noticed how beefy the tow hitch attachment is. And are those vertical City windshields used as those safari windows?

Thanks. I accidentally mirrored it and didn't look. The tow hitch looks beefy but is sadly only attached to 2 studs, so "no bueno". But yes, the safari windows are indeed  64453 windshields.

Love the way the suspension and steering was solved in such a tight space. Better than some Technic 4x4's in the last years. Still, there will be some bending on the shock absorbers because the drive axles have to pivot slightly so that the linkages can connect, as you can see from the renderings the ball joints are not "in system".
10317_10.png10317_11.png

Edited by R0Sch

That steering is more complex than i thought it would be. And looks like we might be indeed able to choose between LHD and RHD steering wheel positions

40 minutes ago, Polarlicht said:

That steering is more complex than i thought it would be. And looks like we might be indeed able to choose between LHD and RHD steering wheel positions

True, although not so easy as to just switch the steering wheel. The whole front dashboard including the pedals, center console etc. needs to be mirror built.
I'm done with the main build for today. The only thing missing is the roof cage. Maybe someone could be so nice and make the 3D model of the specialized fenders and upload the .part file here.
10317_13.png

Price in my country is definitely scary and in some way can compete with technic supercars. For same price I can buy here sets around 4000 pieces from 2021-2022 on sale.

So Im not buying this sets, albeit looks good. 

2 hours ago, Ondra said:

Price in my country is definitely scary and in some way can compete with technic supercars. For same price I can buy here sets around 4000 pieces from 2021-2022 on sale.

So Im not buying this sets, albeit looks good. 

I would not be afraid -> like Optimus, this will go really fast down the hill with it's price when it hits the shelves of the retailers other than Lego. Do not know how in Czech, but in Poland you can get Optimus for ~420 PLN (~90 euro) from time to time and for ~100 normally. I expect this to be available for ~160-170 euro fast. Maybe even lower, depends on the initial price from Lego.

11 hours ago, blondasek said:

I would not be afraid -> like Optimus, this will go really fast down the hill with it's price when it hits the shelves of the retailers other than Lego. Do not know how in Czech, but in Poland you can get Optimus for ~420 PLN (~90 euro) from time to time and for ~100 normally. I expect this to be available for ~160-170 euro fast. Maybe even lower, depends on the initial price from Lego.

We have still Optimus here for around 130 euro. Still no drop.

But at least i bought brand new Daily bugle from sale for around 250 euro. Which is lower than any offer on bricklink.

But this defender is extreme out of touch price here...

Here's the final model. Checked against the instruction part list. All accounted for except the long string and 10x4x2/3 mudguards (did a little mock-up instead).
10317_14.png10317_15.png

Is it possible to adapt this one into a 5-Door Version? (i.e. with four side doors of course!)
And could Bellville/Scala dolls be adequately proportioned for this model? ;-)

Edited by BrickWild

8 hours ago, BrickWild said:

Is it possible to adapt this one into a 5-Door Version? (i.e. with four side doors of course!)

Here you go! ;)

lr110_mockup.png

On 3/24/2023 at 12:21 AM, R0Sch said:

Here you go! ;)

lr110_mockup.png

Neat Photoshop job! ;-)
My U-Haul trailer should be of adequate proportion for this!

10317 Land Rover Defender with U-Haul Trailer

Edited by BrickWild

Came up with a Forest Camouflage version of this!
52771534599_454fae6c5c_k.jpg

I'm currently building a box trailer for it. Though you may need to reinforce the hitch first!
52771699874_d6ffbe5911_4k.jpg

My U-Haul Trailer should be proportionally accurate! ;-)
52771699754_172a5bb270_4k.jpg

At step 303 to 304 you see the red 2l pins in the interier being pushed into the rear fender assembly, but it does not say it in the instructions. I guess they forgot to add it.

Built a matching trailer for it!
52800053843_fdcbce0244_k.jpg

Also, I fitted larger wheels (much like the ones around Australia with the Sunraysia rims!)
52809072754_31c0b3550d_k.jpg