10317 Land Rover Classic Defender Discussion

From Brickcatch:

Official Name: Land Rover Classic Defender

SKU : 10317

Pieces: 2336

Theme: LEGO Icons

Price: $239.99

Release Date: 1st April 2023

Hopefully it should be of the same scale as the Mustang/Camaro. It should also include the following:

Opening passenger doors
Steering mechanism
Opening rear door/hood

Most excited to see what color they go with for this one, either a tan or olive green hopefully. Like the Camaro it will be nice to have another new color on the Expert/Icons vehicle shelf hopefully.

On 1/9/2023 at 5:01 PM, Scotticus the White said:

Most excited to see what color they go with for this one, either a tan or olive green hopefully. Like the Camaro it will be nice to have another new color on the Expert/Icons vehicle shelf hopefully.

Or possibly a Dark Yellow (the same colour as the one we went in while we were in Africa!)

Well, assuming the leaks are legit it looks like Sand Green will be the chosen color, which will contrast nicely on the shelf.

really need to see better pics but it looks like a winner from first glance.

pics are in the usual online spots 

Interesting choice of wheels and tires. I thought they had long since been retired. Model looks good though and it isn’t terribly surprising they chose green after the Defender.

2 hours ago, KevinMD said:

Interesting choice of wheels and tires. I thought they had long since been retired. Model looks good though and it isn’t terribly surprising they chose green after the Defender.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=86652c01#T=C
Yes, last time used in 2019. So it's good that they were brought back. Those new mudguard pieces also look good.

Yes, love it! Sand green truck wheels! New mudguards! 1:12ish scale!

Wish it would have been a 110, but so what!

Judging by the leaked image it appears to have some form of suspension too.

I think April 1st is the early VIP order and April 4th is the release date to the general?

That price is a thing. 

Nice to see them put the steering wheel on the correct side though. 

Would have to see it side by side with the Technic version before I’m completely sold on it 

3 hours ago, Lion King said:

I think April 1st is the early VIP order and April 4th is the release date to the general?

Correct.

16 minutes ago, SquirrelArmy said:

Would have to see it side by side with the Technic version before I’m completely sold on it 

It's 25% smaller. About 1:11/1:12 scale. Wheel diameter 8.16 cm vs. 6.24 cm or model size 43x21x24 cm vs 32x16x15 cm (LxWxH).

This is looking awesome, really excited about this! I am pretty much blown that they put proper 4-link suspensions in there, really sweet. The front suspension geometry looks kind of odd though, as the upper links also attach low to the axle almost where the lower links, but that may be due to space constraints or the construction of the axle itself out of A-arms not allowing much attachment points. I wonder how the steering is done, probably though a linkage? I can't really see anything about that on the video.

1 hour ago, gyenesvi said:

This is looking awesome, really excited about this! I am pretty much blown that they put proper 4-link suspensions in there, really sweet. The front suspension geometry looks kind of odd though, as the upper links also attach low to the axle almost where the lower links, but that may be due to space constraints or the construction of the axle itself out of A-arms not allowing much attachment points. I wonder how the steering is done, probably though a linkage? I can't really see anything about that on the video.

As usual, the steering is controlled by a gear mechanism.
And for the first time ever in LEGO history, we get Sand Green wheel rims!

25 minutes ago, BrickWild said:

As usual, the steering is controlled by a gear mechanism.

Sure there are some gears in it, but the movement needs to be transferred to the floating axle somehow.. the question was how. It cannot be done just with gears because the axle is not stationary. Either double universal joints or a linkage must be involved; most probably a linkage due to the available space and that's how the steering is in reality. Still in lego there can be some simplified tricky options to do the linkage.

25 minutes ago, BrickWild said:

And for the first time ever in LEGO history, we get Sand Green wheel rims!

I love that too, nice color!

2 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

Sure there are some gears in it, but the movement needs to be transferred to the floating axle somehow.. the question was how. It cannot be done just with gears because the axle is not stationary. Either double universal joints or a linkage must be involved; most probably a linkage due to the available space and that's how the steering is in reality. Still in lego there can be some simplified tricky options to do the linkage.

Hello from the Technic sub-forum! The steering movement is transferred to the front live axle via a shaft with CV joints. It could be spotted at 2:24 timestamp: an inclined Light Bluish Gray CV joint comes out frot eh axle to the frame.
Lego Technic, Steering CV Joint

I suppose the full steering transmission is the following:

1. The steering wheel > a lot of gears and shafts to move the output to the center of the frame, between the driver and passenger seats.
  2. The shaft output is connected to the floating axle via a pair of CV joints or universal joint + CV, to provide the variable length.
  3. The "flexible" shaft output rotates the 2L lever that moves the 6L links, that turns the wheel hubs (like in Mustang-Porshe-Camaro) 

3 hours ago, Void_S said:

I suppose the full steering transmission is the following:

Hello! Thanks for the detailed explanation. Indeed I did have a feeling that I saw a CV joint sticking out at some point, but at first I thought it would become part of a drivetrain, and later thought I was simply wrong. So they did the steering that way, wonder if there was no space for a linkage because of the engine; would have been simpler and more realistic I think. Anyway, still curious about the actual build of it :)

You can also kinda see two sets of gears on the firewall, and i read on promobricks that you can choose between lhd and rhd, so the gears are already in place for that, maybe...