Captain Sinclair

[MOC] HMS Victory

Hello.

This is my 1:45 scale MOC of the HMS Victory with a full interior, and standing rigging. She is 9 feet long and about 5 and a half high. She has 104 guns mounted, of three different sizes, representing the 32, 24, and 18-pounders she carried.

IMG_0634IMG_0635IMG_0636IMG_0638IMG_0637

I don't really like the quarter galleries and quarterdeck, but it was immense fun to build and research. All the interior layouts are true to the original vessel, as well as the crew. These pictures don't show the stays, which I had not fitted yet. 

Sorry for the terrible pictures.

What an impressive MOC! :pir-love:

Ye have done an astounding job on this! :pir-thumb:

May we see the interior of this amazing model?

A mighty big build! Well done :pir-thumb:

When did you start to work on this project? We are talking about years, correct?

And as Jack Sassy asked, if you have please give us closer look of the interior.

On 1/7/2023 at 12:10 PM, Captain Sinclair said:

This is my 1:45 scale MOC of the HMS Victory with a full interior, and standing rigging. She is 9 feet long and about 5 and a half high. She has 104 guns mounted, of three different sizes, representing the 32, 24, and 18-pounders she carried.

This is a whopper alright!

Will ye be adding sails at some point?

As requested, here are some pictures of the interior:

IMG_1070

Forward part of the lower gun deck with 32-pound cannon as well as the bitts and the manger, intended to be used to clean mud off the anchor lines as they came in through the hawseholes, but was also used to store the officers' livestock on occasion. 

IMG_1071

Aft part of the lower gun deck with aft capstan in use and the elm tree and bilge pumps. (Sorry for everything being messed up, it just came out of the box)

IMG_1067

Forward magazine, handling room, and lightroom.

IMG_1068

Main hold where all the food and water was stored (Large casks are for water, smaller barrels are for foodstuffs). The large mass in the top center is the mainmast with the various pumps around it, and the shot locker is behind. 

IMG_1069

Aft part of the hold, where the shot locker is more clearly visible at the bottom, with the spirit room in the center and the flour room aft of that.

It took about a year to construct, and I think I started it in September/October of 2021, and I then displayed it at Brickfair 2022. I probably will not be adding sails as that would require adding substantially more rigging as well as making the sails themselves, as well as the fact that I am concentrating on building the HMS Warrior and researching for the USS Monitor, both of which I am hoping display sometime later this year

She's amazing. I love her shape. Thanks for the interior pics. I have one more question. Can we get a closeup of your entry port? I always struggle with those. And bravo. I can't wait to see the next ship you're working on.

9 minutes ago, Captain Sinclair said:

What do you mean by entry point? Are you talking about the hawseholes?

I mean the opening space between gunports 8 and 9, on the middle gun deck, with the little roof on top.

Sorry it took so long, I had to render it as the original entry port is missing. 

Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 10.43.18 PM

When I was looking at the actual entry port, I realized that the awning looked exactly like a particular type of LEGO mudguard and I essentially built around that. I also found that the 1x3 curved slopes fit nicely as some of the surrounding decoration and that 1x1s with the horizontal bar made good scrollwork at the bottom. There would have been a crown directly below the awning, but I could not fit that in without it looking awkward.