DrJB

What You Learned with Lego Technic that you would not have Otherwise

We all come to this forum from many backgrounds and with various interests. Many of us are engineers (mechanical/electrical/...) and many others either aspire to be or are simply curious at the intricate workings of all the machinery around us. While on a plane back home from the holidays few days ago, I was 'reflecting' on the topics/aspects I learned in this forum that I possibly would never have encountered in my life. Yes, I'm a Mechanical Engineer and know a lot about gears, mechanisms, and machine design, but some topics on here I never 'knew' existed. Here are few examples:

1. How helicopters fly, by maneuvering the direction of the Lift Vector via Collective/Cyclic controls

2. Ability to generate almost any gear ratio by using clever combinations of gears with 8/12/16/20/24/28/32/... number of teeth - Search the Lego Antikythera topic

3. Adder/Subtractor with differentials

What can you add? What have you learned in this forum that you would otherwise never have thought of nor encountered?

Edited by DrJB

That's pretty hard to answer since it's a chicken and egg problem. I am a mechanical engineer myself too, so I haven't leart any new principles with Lego, but for more specific areas, such as cars, airplanes and construction machines, surely I have. But that's the chicken and egg problem. I learnt about those stuff because I needed to look into them when developing Technic models, but I was into Technic because the engineering behing it. So if I would have chosen a different media (such as meccano, game programming or scale modelling), I would have learnt about these similarly. 

One thing that I saw (but haven't looked into it because I haven't need it so cannot say "learnt") in these forums is about perfect geometry stuff than can be achieved with beams. Sorry, I don't have time to look those threads up.

Edited by Lipko

I'm an engineer, but I have learned  about structural integrity, suspension designs, gearboxes, helicopter mechanics, strength principles. 

Also, since building with lego I've  learned  about photography, videography, production, emails, digital work, editing.

Overall it was a massively positive experience!

There are a lot of things, related both with mechanics, designing and publishing MOCs online, so it is hard to list them all. But in my opinion I value the most knowledge and understanding I got related to suspension and drive train. And I have to say that having engineering background and scientific mind (in opposite to humanistic mind) helps a lot with understanding and using this knowledge in projects.

Virtual pivot steering was new for me. 

Also how much difference it makes to upsize car tires on performance, both positive and negative. 

I'm also constantly reminded when creating structures that 1) nearly everything is possible to achieve with bricks and 2) that when things get really complicated there probably is an elegant and simple alternative within reach. 

I think I learned a lot about mechanical principles as a kid playing with Technic. The 8880 was very educational. 

Now I'm 36 and creating MOCs allowed me to discover "new" principles in my Cyclorotor boat and my self-locking differentials

(I don't mean "new" like a world first, I just came to these mechanism by myself)

I think Technic is the best educational toy and that's why I don't like "reversed" gearboxes and mini-scale fake engines.

Interesting topic.  Great post.  I have actually thought about this a lot as well, but never thought about making a post about it.  

My background is very different.  I am a clinical neuropsychologist by profession, which really taps into both the scientific/biology fields but also somewhat the humanities, i.e. being a clinical psychologist.  One thing that these fields to have in common though is that they don't deal with engineering at all (except to the extent that the biological world uses mechanics, physical engineering, etc. to operate).  So I am really behind the curve to most others on EB given I have no background in mechanics, engineering, etc.  So, pretty much everything I am exposed to while belonging to this forum is new information for me and considered "learned."  

That being said I think there are several other things I have learned.  Some of which have been touched upon by others.  Using media, digitizing and manipulating photos, videos, etc. is certainly one.  But also the effort, touch and art of simply making videos or media is also a huge thing I have learned.  Its a LOT of work!  In fact, I would say that I now watch or think about the programs and films I watch differently.  I always find my self considering "wow, how did they film that" and the "work" or effort that went into the creation of a film when I watch it.  It really is nice because I think I appreciate the films, etc. that I view so much more.  In fact, (and I get this is a sad thing to bring up) but that is one of the things that I loved about the Ken Block productions (god rest his soul).  SOOO much effort had to go into his films/productions.  Not just the leg work to set things up, practice, props, etc. but also all the paperwork behind the scenes to get permissions, etc. for whole city blocks to get shut down in order for his group to film what they did.  I would have never considered all that if I had not dipped my toe into making my own videos, content, etc.   Again.  So much work!  

Lastly, I think there is a huge physics/body mechanics/sensory awareness aspect to building that is really important as well.  Something that I had not considered prior to build alot with Technic.  We all know the pratfalls of splitting two liftarms apart joined by multiple pins.  Pull too hard and you can damage the rest of the build.  Pull too little and things won't come undone.  Also the annoying problem of pins never coming out of separated liftarms on the same LA.  They are nearly ALWAYS staggered.  Why this is important is because when joining them back together, or any piece where multiple pins are involved you will always have more success when the pins are on one side or one LA/element as opposed to staggered across the two pieces being joined.  This all can be facilitated with better body and physical awareness.  Almost surgical.  I actually had a buddy of mine in school who build lots with Technics b/c he believed it helped not so much is cognitive abilities, but also his manual dexterity, awareness of physical space, sensory awareness, etc. 

Interesting topic.

I don't have an engineering background - at the moment I work as a pharmacist, and before that I was a goldsmith, neither professional background is exactly useful in designing vehicles and other mechanical stuff that Technic is about.

That being said, I've learned a lot about automotive design - suspension, steering, drivetrain, etc. - which I have had no interest in otherwise. Same goes to helicopters and how they fly, I had no idea how they worked before getting into Technic. This has also helped me notice other machinery such as those at construction sites etc. and how they function.

I've also learned to recognize trucks to some degree. It started with 42043, after that I began to notice Arocses and other MB trucks in real life too, and it has made also other truck fronts (Volvo, Scania, etc.) more noticeable for me.

Have to agree, nice topic!

What I learned:

1. LEGO is not only for people of all ages (couldn't prove that one back then) - think thats the most important one, OR I am too childish yet to enjoy, but I woul also be fine with that :D
  2. Working with Studio, the LDRAW Library (esp details on the fileformat of how the dependencies are connected in the .dat files), rendering, HDRI Maps
  3. Connections of the physics keeping motorcycles / bicycles upright
  4. Improved my photo-/videography equipment & techniqes (but I still hate video-editing.. :D)
  5. Started with droning for some shooting reasons

One of the greatest experiences was a comment from a person who was lucky about he learned something new from one of my videos - this really made my whole week as it was such a rewarding feeling to be able to help somebody to learn s.th. while having fun with watching a video.

The other nice experience was the nice and grateful feedback from many people for my LDraw-to-Studio-Exporter which can be consumed via web & creates CustomParts-folder-ready zipfiles to be downloaded with just all the required subparts of your part your want to have available in Studio (link in my signature). Nice to be able contribute back something, as LDraw for e.g. is also community-driven.

Edited by aFrInaTi0n

I have learnt I have an adult compulsion to spend £0000's on Lego Technic. An unhealthy habit for my bank balance.

Edited by williamyzfr1

3 minutes ago, williamyzfr1 said:

I have learnt I have an adult compulsion to spend £0000's on Lego Technic. An unhealthy habit for my bank balance.

Isn't this the function of EB to aid us as a supporting platform? :pir-laugh:

Edited by aFrInaTi0n

Computer science is my background,  but I'm especially interested in the mechanical and design part of Technic.

What I've learned on this forum is

• the system behind Lego that's not documented 
  • how real world machines/mechanisms work: heavy machinery, cars, aircrafts, helikopter and mechanical clocks.
  • how to design / scale a  MOC
  • how to present a MOC
  • how to create and publish instructions and the joy of all kind of people from around the world recreating your MOC's

And, last not least, it is nice to share our Technic/Modeling-journey on this forum because I don't know people in my real world network that have this hobby. 

I read the Technic forum a lot - now that it was merged with Mindstorms (phasing out). However, I would even expand that a little more: TrainTech alone has so many threads about the LWP3.0 protocol and associated BLE hardware, i.e. PoweredUp [referred to here frequently (and no so accurately :pir-laugh:) as Control+].

So what I learned from the Technic/Mindstorms forum:

• Insane builds, I'll never comprehend nor manage, just admire
  • Cars and trucks and such are very popular
  • All electronic LEGO devices can be controlled from one modern computer; beginning with TCL all the way to PoweredUp
  • This forum provides an enormous wealth of nicely moderated, top content
  • One clone manufacturer, for whatever reason, does not have to go into the Community Forum
  • There is a Community Forum (which is very nice)
  • Programming in C++, simply as ESP32's running LEGOINO can nicely control PoweredUp devices
  • VB6 is still cool for controlling robots and other things like trains
  • QBasic1.1 is still cool for the same purposes
  • ... and so many more things.

I am a PChemist - zero engineering background; love to fix old and not so old stuff, build whatever comes to mind. Wood is my preferred material, after that comes ABS, mostly in the TLG incarnation(s).

Best,
Thorsten

I learnt a lot but the most important think was to know the time I needed to do a MOC that I really liked and it was the worst thing I have learnt too because it makes starting a MOC almost impossible... maybe I only learnt than I am too slow for my pretensions :laugh: , so I learnt even about me, I can be really happy in the end.

Man, getting into Technic has directly or indirectly led to almost all of my current interests, hobbies, and career plans...

I got into it at 13 when looking for a Lego theme to "get into," mainly because I had a little experience with it from some Lego Education stuff, I had read Sariel's Technic Builder's Guide (Just because I read every Lego book I could get my hands on), and a certain set looked like a very good deal at the time.

After that, Technic got me interested in cars and how they work, how airplanes and helicopters work, soldering electrical projects, basic programming, 3D printing, and all-around fixing machines.

If I hadn't gotten into Technic then, my life could have developed along very different lines.

I’m an aeronautical engineer by education but automotive by career. I can’t think of many things Technic has taught me about the real world of engineering apart from doing research into how some mechanisms work and then how to replicate them. One of my favourites was my fairground ride where I managed to find photos and videos of the real mechanisms 

26 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I’m an aeronautical engineer

Slight offtopic but that is so cool! I considered this career path, but ended up teaching physics at university because I didn't want to focus on only one field :pir_tong2:.

Got into Lego Technic at the age of 12 and at first, it was all about pushing the limits of bricks, mostly with various shooting contraptions. After breaking many pieces, fev velocity and energy records and poking few holes in my home's walls (my parents had to be super patient), learned a lot about mechaniscs and structural integrity. Finally settled on building mechanical clocks. Apart obvious things like gear ratios I learned a lot about astronomy and physics of clocks in general - in fact I published two papers on the subject, one of them has experimental data measured with Lego clock.  I use Lego models in my lectures as well, students love it.

Before owning a car - I could see some of the mechanics via this forum and/or building it myself.
For example - reworked a Baja Buggy from Nico71 and had to re-do the front suspension as I didn't have the rare 8070 steering hubs.
42000/42037 front hubs didn't end up in the same spot and were bigger. Soooooo - using control rods non-paralel to the swing arms taught me about bump steer :D :D
Reworking a suspension mounting point combined with the suspension geometry was a blast! Also annoying - but hey, I learned stuff!

Pneumatics and hydraulics make a lot more sense to me now after 42128 and 42144.
Also - it helps me see the everyday objects as a combo of mechanisms - worm gears coupled to motors for actuating stuff and so on. 
I was amazed by the tech used in buses - shown here by Sariel and others - the portal axles, the door mechanisms, the "kneel" the buses do - it's all great mechanics.

And I can't help but notice Technic connectors shapes in the railing in every public transport i get on :D

EDIT:  After starting my MOC journey and trying to sell some of them - a lot of photography entered my life, some YouTube knowledge and a lot of "marketing" research too. It's viral...

Edited by GTS

On 1/7/2023 at 9:16 AM, Davidz90 said:

Slight offtopic but that is so cool! I considered this career path, but ended up teaching physics at university because I didn't want to focus on only one field :pir_tong2:.

I knew I wanted to study engineering at uni and at the time was into aircraft and fancied doing something different to just standard mechanical engineering. But during my studies my interest switched to formula 1 and then at the end of uni I ended up in the car industry instead.

One word - gears :grin:

Longer answer - all the stuff that attaches to gears, various means to translate rotary to linear motions, and the limitations of LEGO gears (torque, slack, ratios...) and how to design around the limitations to get something close to want you want. And yes, I am an engineer as well, but not a mechanical engineer.

A bit off the technic topic but still relevant is Lego Serious Play. I am a high school teacher and have been in school administration before. There I have run some small workshops for parents andstaff using LSP and it is a really fun and effective method of learning. 

If any of you are looking for ways to incorporate Lego into your day jobs I highly recommend checking out LSP.

Omdat wij thuis een export bedrijf hadden naar het buitenland,  moest ik dus buitenlandse talen gaan leren van mijn ouders. maar mijn passie was altijd al technic die ik nu goed kan verwoorden in lego technic. Die talen heb ik in theorie geleerd e niet op school. 

3 hours ago, den-Dekker-disign said:

Omdat wij thuis een export bedrijf hadden naar het buitenland,  moest ik dus buitenlandse talen gaan leren van mijn ouders. maar mijn passie was altijd al technic die ik nu goed kan verwoorden in lego technic. Die talen heb ik in theorie geleerd e niet op school.

HI. Welcome to EB.
We need to use English on the forum. It does not have to be perfect, but it has to be English.

The following things have been my main takeaway:

1: Steering geometry and how angles affect steering stability.

2: Adder-subtracktor gearboxes and vectored drive systems.

3: Testing mechanical principles like the watt's linkage, and learning how to apply them.

4: Using CAD software to test ideas before trying them out in reality, and the ability to predict problems with a physical build vs CAD.

In general I have learned a lot, but much of that is exploring implementations of things I already knew, like mechanical principles. For example the importance of gearing down a drivetrain after the differential to reduce the stress on differentials and gearboxes.

I recently did my bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, and having Lego Technic as a hobby was very helpful. Some of the things I've learned from building and studying others' builds include: suspension types and designs, how transmissions work, differentials (:grin:), efficient geartrain and structure design, multibar linkages. Other really cool mechanisms were helicopter flight controls and harmonic gearing.