Posted (edited)

Jiangkai paddy fields, El Oleonda, January 623

Somewhere in the rice fields outside Jiangkai, a heron was strolling in the shallow water, looking for frogs and small fish. Apparently, the bird enjoyed that new hunting ground even more than his usual swamps: food was abundant, and the farmers never annoyed it, even if the humans were particularly noisy that day. 

Prospecting near Jiangkai

The excitation of the farmers was well justified: during some repairings, some strange minerals had emerged from an embankment... with a bit of luck, they could even be worth something!

The heron, however, couldn't care less, and just passed by. Actually, it wasn't even a "heron", an Old World name for an unknown bird in an unknown land... but it didn't seem to be particularly offended by the lack of fantasy. Instead, it had just spotted a fat toad, and was already foretasting its dinner!

-----------------------------------------

A small prospecting vignette for Jiangkai, on El Oleonda. My usual white setting (as you can see in the last picture) was not very appropriate, as many details faded in the background, so I used a darker picture on my laptop screen. I hope you like the result!

With this, I also finished one of the short periods in which I could build at ease... so I'll finally catch up commenting all the great builds published in the last month!

@Ayrlego, if the procedure hasn’t changed this is up to you now, thanks!

Edited by Keymonus

I love brick built birds, and this heron is excellent! On top of that, a new approach to the prospecting build - very clever!

As to the background, I am undecided. It's better than white, but seems to give some strangeish reflections. Looks a bit like the static backgrounds in older video games! :pir-classic:

I really like that little scene! Great story as well :thumbup:  I for one like the inclusion of the background. Maybe the perspective does not fit the scene 100% but i don't mind that too much. Especially in the first picture, where the background is blurry, it fits well.

7 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

The heron is good fortune.... big money

Indeed!

The enterprising farmers have discovered a rich vein of silver. Congratulations!

That heron is great. I don't think I've seen a brick built one in BoBs yet. The background is nice as well. It gives it the feeling of some minifigs finishing up a hard days work and suddenly finding a precious metal to end the day!

"Did I just overhear hear you say that ore you found may be Silver!?" A well dressed, waxed mustached sporting, man approached with an outstretched hand. Coming in for a firm de-gloved handshake, a big broad smile, laser focused eye contact, the psuedo-uniform of the RNTC completed the out of place picture for this far corner of the Empire. The immaculate appearance and bold confidence was almost enough to distract the farmer from the fact that no... no he had not mentioned the silver to hardly anybody. He certainly hadn't just been talking about it. Now here he was shaking hands with an RNTC official holding a fancy sachel and discussing "a most fortuitous boon and an irresistible business opportunity"

@Keymonus, such good news certainly  travels fast. 

Thank you, guys! The heron was something I wanted to try (usually I only use parrots, seagulls, and sometimes Dumbledore's phoenix), and I'm glad you liked it!

I think the background is quite OK, but nothing more. Photos of computer screens always have weird reflections, and the perspective of the image I took was far from perfect. It was a last-second decision (too many details faded into the background), and not something I plan to replicate in the close future.

On 1/4/2023 at 12:17 AM, Ayrlego said:

The enterprising farmers have discovered a rich vein of silver. Congratulations!

Thanks for the quick answer... and for the very good news!

On 1/4/2023 at 12:39 AM, CapOnBOBS said:

"Did I just overhear hear you say that ore you found may be Silver!?" A well dressed, waxed mustached sporting, man approached with an outstretched hand. Coming in for a firm de-gloved handshake, a big broad smile, laser focused eye contact, the psuedo-uniform of the RNTC completed the out of place picture for this far corner of the Empire. The immaculate appearance and bold confidence was almost enough to distract the farmer from the fact that no... no he had not mentioned the silver to hardly anybody. He certainly hadn't just been talking about it. Now here he was shaking hands with an RNTC official holding a fancy sachel and discussing "a most fortuitous boon and an irresistible business opportunity"

@Keymonus, such good news certainly  travels fast. 

Thank you for the reminder (and for the nice little backstory you used for it)! I will think about selling the mine to our national trade company, but I have some plans for silver business in Jiangkai

Second First Post:

@Keymonus, I actually fancied the idea of using the computer screen as a background. It has always intrigued me, though I have never actually tried it. In this particular case, it seems to have worked very well for your diorama, in no small part due to the choice of image. I also wonder if the background reflections could be taken away by placing something like transparent tracing paper in front of the screen?

P.S. Are you sure that wouldn't be a fat frog?:

On 1/3/2023 at 5:54 AM, Keymonus said:

Instead, it had just spotted a fat toad