Ngoc Nguyen

42153 - NASCAR® Next Gen Chevrolet Camaro ZL1

For start; as a member of Chevrolet family it looks much better than Corvette 

Looks nice overall, but the fender part sticking out in the air behind the front wheel looks a bit ugly to me. However, the mini V8 in the front is interesting! Wonder how smooth that runs, and how the drivetrain is routed without colliding with the HoG steering.

This is an easy pass. I can't even see the difference with the top gear car or the previous camaro set besides the color.

It also seems like it's designed before the new panels came to be.

Well, I wasn't too distant...

Like @Jundis proposed, it really has "printed headlights" - they are stickers here.
Like @R4ph proposed, the rear "ducktail" is made of "paper rolls".

Overall, the model is "so-so", a kind of 42138 recolor with steering and V8 instead (actually, I love the older engine variant, with 3L axles with stops).

I think this is a great base for motorizations... So I started a 3D model for developement:sweet:

camaro_2.png

I was surprised that it does not look bad even without stickers (ofc it need headlights stickers)

Why did they use 8 cam pieces? Wouldn't 4 be enough? Even the Bolide with its W16 only has 4 iirc

Edited by Polarlicht

11 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I will be blunt: this model does not look good to me. It seems basic to build with no interesting techniques or functions. 

Following the photos, I see the following:

1. RWD with rear differential (rear wheels are regular-wide).
  2. Front wheels (14-mm, narrow) have steering connected to the rear HOG. The angled connection near the HOG has exposed gears, this tan 12T gear under the "HOG handle" is not just a spacer...
    The hubs are old-styled 4-pin connectors, not the new ones (with 2 pins) used in the Dump Truck.
  3. Steering and drive shafts are crossed via 14T gears, as in other similar scale sets.
  4. The most interesting feature that I see here, is that the "body" has 1/2L offset to the "chassis" part - as you can see, both front and rear axles have decreased distance to the upper edge of the wheel arch, like in Pull-back Mustang and Porsche.
    It would be great if some of the building steps will include a "marriage" of the "chassis" and "body", when the 1/2L offset appears like real NASCAR cars are built - a plastic single-piece shell over the integral chassis-safety cage.
21 minutes ago, Polarlicht said:

Why did they use 8 cam pieces? Wouldn't 4 be enough? Even the Bolide with its W16 only has 4 iirc

Actually, 10 pieces, at least. The "roll cage" behind the seat has two cam pieces to provide 1/2L offset.
I would call this set "NASCAR® Next Gen Chevrolet CAMaro ZL1" because of the surprisingly big number of these parts :laugh:

Edited by Void_S

56 minutes ago, Void_S said:

Steering and drive shafts are crossed via 14T gears, as in other similar scale sets.

Do you mean 16T gears? 3 of them above each other, with the middle one being a free spinning one to let the drive pass through?

1 hour ago, Polarlicht said:

I guess because the pistons are shorter, they were required for a smoother running engine. This way the shaft has more wide ends that hit the pistons easier I guess.

21 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

Do you mean 16T gears? 3 of them above each other, with the middle one being a free spinning one to let the drive pass through?

Yes, sure... 16T ones, LBG and Red ones :blush:

Actually, I need to correct myself once more time... The model includes not 16+16+16 gears to mesh the drive and steering shafts, but newly presented 12T (in blue) and 20T-clutch (in green) gears.
It reminds another Chevrolet, 42093, where the Blue 20T Double-Bevel Clutch gear was presented. Now it's time for a new generation of similar gears.

It's nice to have new geas here but the use of "straight" gears instead of double-bevel ones significantly limits their role for possible alternate models.

Edited by Void_S

17 minutes ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

I really wonder why the 3L axle used for an A-pillar is gray in this photo while in other ones it's still reddish brown?

Maybe it is dark bluish gray axle 3L (or some "bug" as with firefighting plane)?

...or new re-re-color (like on axles)?

Edited by 1gor

1 hour ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

I really wonder why the 3L axle used for an A-pillar is gray in this photo while in other ones it's still reddish brown?

This photo is incorrectly colored - yellow shades are zeroed here.

Really, the model has Reddish Brown 3L axles with stop and 2L axle connectors and 3L axles in yellow, as shown in other set photos.

8 hours ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

Not only photo editing incorrect, looks like front tire touch 3x11 panel on side when fully steered(or just image and real model has much less steering angle?)

There is also availablea short video for this set. First 50€ Technic car with differential. Unfortunately, it's an older, dbg version.

19 minutes ago, artemisovsky said:

There is also availablea short video for this set. First 50€ Technic car with differential. Unfortunately, it's an older, dbg version.

The 42093 Corvette had it too, and it was the first humble starter of this scale of licensed sets.

2 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

The 42093 Corvette had it too, and it was the first humble starter of this scale of licensed sets.

Yes, you're right, but the Corvette, like the 42075 First Responder had a RRP €40. If I remember correctly, since Corvette to now the cheapest set with something basic as differential was 42139 (RRP 80/90€).

While I can appreciate that they squeezed in the mini engine there which is definitely nice, what annoys me is that there's still no steering hubs and corresponding wheel rims that would have inner steering pivot. I'm hoping that if those car-transporter-fitting sized cars are going to gain traction like the Speed Champions, they will start addressing such limitations of parts for this scale.

I investigated this topic with custom printed parts some time ago and we could either have perfect pivot steering like this:

Which could mean better wheel arches construction and maybe following this we would better wheel arch pieces for the specific size.

Also with dedicated steering elements they could've definitely fit a full size engine blocks in this scale:

Obviously steering assembly in my model is not as rigid as the Lego set would require it to be, but I was working with what is there so far. If they designed steering parts for such scenarios, we could get sets with full size engine blocks and perfect pivot.

Sorry for shameless plugs, but with how many new pieces we see coming out for the shape of Speed Champions models and some licensed Technic models, they could start doing something about the steering and suspension parts at this scale as well.

Btw - isn't the HOG steering knob in an awkward position? It feels to me like it makes sense for it to be at the back OR if it's supposed to be on top, it should be in the middle of the car.