DoVoMonOgel

12v 80s Train Motor - Carbon Brushes replacement?

Title says it all :-)

Could not find any posts leading to any source or alternative Ideas on how to replace the tiny Carbon Brushes in the 6-Wheel train motors. Those little thingys are only some 3*1.5*2.5mm or so when new. They are only "clicked" into their copper contact arms, which in turn are hard-fixed to the left and right motor body weight blocks. That fixture could easily be undone and replaced by a small screew if need be... i.e. if anyone knows of readily made copper+brush parts that can go in place of the originals.

Anyone??

Hi @DoVoMonOgel, I think I saw your question already on 1000steine? Welcome to Eurobricks / Train Tech!

Maybe this helps:

And:

This is also helpful I think:

https://bricks.stackexchange.com/questions/6348/will-playing-with-a-12v-train-motor-by-hand-damage-it

Some final tips: 

Let us know and would be great to see pictures or a video of your progress!

Thanks for the links. Yes I had seen those threads before asking (at 1000Steone, too, yes indeed). But there is nothing in those helping with the "brushes", no mention anywhere (I could find) where someone found replacements for these tiny fellas.

I've now ordered some larger ones on eba..., will see if I can carefully reduce them to get them in... tbc.

Party time now over here, have a good one!

I made both of the videos JopieK linked above. I've never had a problem with the carbon brushes wearing, but information on how to replace them could be useful to the community. From what I've read, Buhler was the company that originally produced the motor and transformer internals, and I haven't found any replacement motor internals. Hopefully you are able to manufacture some brushes that will work.

bühler did produce the motors in the ones where you could replace the 4.5v motor for a 12v one but not shure about the later ones.

1 hour ago, XG BC said:

bühler did produce the motors in the ones where you could replace the 4.5v motor for a 12v one but not shure about the later ones.

The motor cases inside have "Buhler" engraved on them, so I'm fairly certain they were. I also saw on Eurobricks that Buhler produced them. Unfortunate that any remaining products were probably destroyed...

Solved, kinda. These have arrived yesterday. The small end can be carefully reduced in width so that it fits into the holes in the copper holder arms. The brush itself is rather high / thick compared with the original, but there is enough room below + above the motor shaft so that they fit in without further effort. And: IT WORKS. :pir-huzzah2:

Excellent! I'm sure that will be helpful for some 12v users. I will have to try this for myself if/when one of my motors needs this repair. Thanks for contributing to the 12v pool of knowledge!

The other option I was considering when the time comes was to solder a new arm onto the existing copper arm with a new carbon block from another 12v modern motor - just not found the right motor yet

Joff