Izzynufc-2

Super Mario 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

5 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I told y’all that just because there is apparently no fourth starter set nor a new character series you couldn’t conclude that minifig sets are coming :laugh_hard:

I like the look of this! Dry Browser, Dry Piranha Plant and the Blarrg (?) all look great!

I wasn’t going to say anything but people were having ideas that were wayyy too grandiose. What they were expecting was less of what was likely, and a lot more of what they *wanted*.

The set looks very fun and I look forward to it

As somebody who had pretty much no interest in minifigure sets (IMO the sets we've gotten so far are much better than minifig-based sets would be), the new set looks great. Love the new characters (Dry Bowser was high up on my wishlist), and the big entryway with brick-built giant chains. It looks like the new fern pieces from Rivendell are used for the Bone Piranha Plant, which is a much closer match to the sort of Piranha Plant leaves than the leaf piece that had been used so far (and it looks to be in grey, which will be great for classical architecture).

Can't wait to see the rest of the summer lineup! Here's hoping at least one of the final two Koopalings makes an appearance!

Okay, Minifigures weren't going to happen soon, I understand that.

And they were not going to reveal the whole wave, I get it.

But why would they make a premiere only to show a Lego set they already anounced the previous day and one (1) figure that they also teased yesterday?

Like sure, we didn't SEE Donkey in HD, but they already confirmed they were going to do him! So they literally didn't show anything new in this video!

It's also extremely weird, because they started by showing the Dry Bowser set, and immediatly cut to the announcer saying "well that sure was an intense stream today, let's go with the final anouncement!". Was the video originally going to be longer? 

If you want to know what is in the secret room, than look on lego.com, it's not exciting 

Edited by Lemerbrix

8 minutes ago, Lemerbrix said:

If you want to know what is in the secret room, than look on lego.com, it's not exciting 

I mean, it's cute, but if I were Lego's marketing team I wouldn't had teased that as if it were going to be something major

Cool to see more of the Dry Bowser Castle, but I am slightly disappointed we didn't see any other sets revealed. However, I don't necessarily want to blame Lego for this one because it was spoiled by an unintended leak. Seeing more of the set though, I'm surprised to see the very playset-like arrangement and features. The first Bowser's Castle was mostly just the large statue and play feature to fight Bowser, but this set has an actual "interior" with fun features and details, which is what I would expect for themes outside of Lego Mario. The hidden room is also nice, a war room for Bowser to plot his next scheme. Not sure why they wanted to keep it secret though.

I hoped we would have seen the  set Donkey Kong came in, but I'm still pleasantly surprised with what we saw. I was fully expecting DK to be a boss character, or maybe just a friend like Toad, but seeing him actually be a rideable mount for the characters is something I did not see coming! Has that ever happened in any of the games? I know the other smaller kongs ride on his back in the newer DK country games, but I can't recall something like this happening with Mario and crew. Also very happy to see the tie is a cloth piece, very nice touch. If I had to guess, I would say DK would be in 71424 ($60, 554 pieces) but that's just a guess on my part. Maybe Lego is generous and he's the build for the $10 set?

1 minute ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Look like price increases are coming for Mario 

Dry Bowsers Castle was originally $100 and now it’s $110

I don’t like price increases, but i do like Dry Bowsers castle and Donkey Kong!!!!

Could be like the Jurrasic Park sets, where the visitor center was rumored at $120 and revealed to be $130 and the 4 plus set was $35  but revealed at $40, but the rest of the sets remained the same. The truth is, we don't know which prices could stay the same and which could increase.

After seeing the Mario bros movie yesterday, I thought: “why didn’t Lego do a set (or sets) from the movie?” i mean, Lego has a great relationship with universal AND Nintendo, and there’s so much set potential that they easily could have done in the “course builder” system, I guess donkey Kong is an indirect tie-in, as he has a major role in the movie, and he’s appearing in the summer sets, but that might just be me

they were soooo many set opportunities in the movie

i would love to be able to buy a set of the mario bros van

A small wave of system sets based on the film would have made so much sense - the Mario Bros. van, an assortment of karts for the various characters, and so on. I can’t express how disappointing it is that Lego chose not to capitalise on this. 

The course builder sets are apparently intended to run up until 2025/26 (as per one of the moderators on the ‘Legoleak’ subreddit), so minifigure sets are not in the pipeline at all. Having a small wave to coincide with the film would’ve been a nice way to deviate from the play pattern if only for once, and then allow the course builder system to resume from this summer onwards again.

It’s a big disappointment and (ignoring the quality of the film itself) I doubt an opportunity like this will ever come up again for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by Kaijumeister

On 3/10/2023 at 4:58 PM, The_Fiery_Rooster said:

I hoped we would have seen the  set Donkey Kong came in, but I'm still pleasantly surprised with what we saw. I was fully expecting DK to be a boss character, or maybe just a friend like Toad, but seeing him actually be a rideable mount for the characters is something I did not see coming! Has that ever happened in any of the games? 

Maybe it's loosely based on the movie? There's a whole Mario and DK team up.

Not getting minifigure sets based off the movie sucks Mega Blocks though. Why are Lego so out of touch with what consumers want?! 😡

im so curious what that $60 18+ set could be

if its not minifigures, my next best guess would be a prob of some sorts, likely a power up like mushroom or fire flower 

21 hours ago, Kaijumeister said:

A small wave of system sets based on the film would have made so much sense - the Mario Bros. van, an assortment of karts for the various characters, and so on. I can’t express how disappointing it is that Lego chose not to capitalise on this. 

The course builder sets are apparently intended to run up until 2025/26 (as per one of the moderators on the ‘Legoleak’ subreddit), so minifigure sets are not in the pipeline at all. Having a small wave to coincide with the film would’ve been a nice way to deviate from the play pattern if only for once, and then allow the course builder system to resume from this summer onwards again.

It’s a big disappointment and (ignoring the quality of the film itself) I doubt an opportunity like this will ever come up again for the foreseeable future. 

It’s strange how they are not doing character packs this summer or another starter set 

On 4/10/2023 at 2:41 AM, Izzynufc-2 said:

It’s strange how they are not doing character packs this summer or another starter set 

Yeah, it feels like the theme is on its last legs, though again, monkie kid always feels that way, but is still going strong

On 4/11/2023 at 1:48 PM, Lemerbrix said:

Yeah, it feels like the theme is on its last legs, though again, monkie kid always feels that way, but is still going strong

I wouldn’t worry, the existing Course Builder system is intended to run for a good few years still (at the very least). The theme seems to be in a good strong place.

I do find it interesting that compared to most Lego sets which purely occupy the physical side of things, each wave of Super Mario obviously requires development for the not just the physical sets but also the firmware / software updates necessary for all three digi-figures. Perhaps that’s why there’s no new digi-figure or buildable characters this summer, as Lego wanted to focus more on the playset side of things.

Synchronising the physical play features with correctly stimulating the sensors within the digi-figures is an awesome feat overall on Lego’s end. Even as someone who typically eschews these sets, it’s most impressive.

Edited by Kaijumeister

On 4/14/2023 at 3:11 PM, Quandale Dingle said:

They should do building sets with Minifigures, and sets for the Mario Movie.

Slow down there bud, that’s a bit of a hot take.

Just joking around, welcome to the forums :)