Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

Excellent work, @Textorix:wub:

Ya basically gotta post it here, too, as some of us really aren't on other platforms. (Seriously, I likely wouldn't have seen this otherwise.) Thanks for sharing it. 

One thing it makes clear is how many more of those rocky dungeon pieces we could have used in our sets. #SlytherpuffDormsFTW #EqualityNow! 

Speaking of, in the midsection of the new BoH set, there are two sides with rock faces. One uses the wotsit (ROUS, but not; it presently escapes me) and the other brick builds it using one of those hollow wall elements, and given the hint of 1x1 plate colour, I'm pretty sure there's a 32952 (Brick, Modified 1 x 1 x 1 2/3 with Studs on Side) holding a plate on the interior. On the rear of the box, we can see how in the right hand section (the brick built one) the inner surface is covered with a tile (sticker depicts what I believe is one of those gargoyle-y sconce holders from the Great Hall). Any whack theories on what might be hidden in the little storage niche it creates? Is there anything that would make sense for the story, or is it just going to be for holding the cup and serving dish when the build is re-configured? 

On 5/9/2023 at 5:06 PM, NostalgicBricks said:

It's a testament to how tragic this wave is that this thread is so dead. :jollyroger:

I've refrained from commenting because basically this wave really hasn't excited me, but as you've mentioned it, here goes. :laugh:

To me this wave feels very incohesive. The train is the standout set for me; yes it's small and shrunk, but it's cute and colourful and a different station to the last models and even though I have the large Hogwarts Express I would still be tempted to get this one out of nostalgia for the first movie. Yet even this set seems sloppy. Why exactly would they make the rooves of the carriages light grey when no other Hogwarts Express has ever done so and the large D2C Hogwarts Express, supposedly the more accurate display model that was only released last year, features black carriage rooves? The two tones between engine and the carriages just makes the model look bad to me. I've even re-watched the movie scene to see if I'm missing the fact that light grey is more accurate, but no, on a re-watch, it isn't: the carriage rooves still look black, dark grey at very best. I think there's going to be the same situation as there was with the previous clash between castle roof colours and people will be swapping out the light grey for black. 

As for WWW, this would have been great if we didn't have DA, but as we do we can see how WWW can be done better so this one isn't very inspiring, new minifigures and a few interior details added aside. Moreover, as we are waiting to see how Gringotts has turned out, I think this has just made a lot of people nervous that whilst it should be detailed and grand, Gringotts is ultimately going to be more compatible with this model down the line.

Then we have not one, but two buildable creatures. Dobby has arguably been done well and they managed to capture cute not creepy and I think there will be a market for him even if it's not us on this forum, but the patronus as well in the same year feels like overkill. I can't fault the designer who has done an admirable job, but when it comes down to a patronus on a black base, I think many of us, and the wider market, would have gone crazy for an 'Always' diorama and not a buildable power ranger mech. 

The Battle of Hogwarts feels very lacklustre. I can't help but look at it and think Hogwarts is bound to fall when all it has is one long thin wall to fight over. Yes I know the parts remake themselves into the bridge when combined with the other sets, but looking at the wave purely on its own it feels very anti-climatic. Even one knight statue would have added a bit of presence to the scene. Still don't know how Promobricks thought we were getting McGonagall and a statue up to as recently as they were saying when they seemed to be waiting on permission to release details.

Then the Quidditch trunk is a good way to get all four house Quidditch torsos, but is essentially another expensive gimmick. 

I'm really hoping this is just a temporary lull and that next year will come back with a bang, because this year the theme feels a bit fatigued.

For all of the ho humness about the June wave, I just finally bought and built the Black Lake set and I love it!

Fantastic display piece, so many good parts, nicely done Minifigures with good new prints (though I wish they'd given Hermione something new and different for her awake face). You can really feel the love put into that set. Yeah it's not perfect and could certainly be expanded, but it's great for what it is.

18 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

For all of the ho humness about the June wave, I just finally bought and built the Black Lake set and I love it!

Fantastic display piece, so many good parts, nicely done Minifigures with good new prints (though I wish they'd given Hermione something new and different for her awake face). You can really feel the love put into that set. Yeah it's not perfect and could certainly be expanded, but it's great for what it is.

That set is great! A good compact little display piece and a highlight of the year. The amount of minifigures and the Grindylow is fair value too. :classic:

25 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

That set is great! A good compact little display piece and a highlight of the year. The amount of minifigures and the Grindylow is fair value too. :classic:

It really does pack a lot in (plus I got in on sale here in Aus, which helps).

Now I'm tempted to make a new version of the original set's cooking competition alt model which I showed in my original review:

@BacktoBricks I agree with you completely. I, too, hope that next year will be a return to form. Are you planning on buying any summer sets? It's still up in the air for me, which I find so shocking and sad.

@Clone OPatra Yep, the second task is fantastic. I would say it's the best set of the year, too. 

For anyone interested, you can see the back of the battle of Hogwarts (which seems to be a tiny version of the Great Hall) in the 360 video here on the Lego website: https://www.lego.com/en-ae/product/the-battle-of-hogwarts-76415

Edited by NostalgicBricks

20 minutes ago, NostalgicBricks said:

For anyone interested, you can see the back of the battle of Hogwarts (which seems to be a tiny version of the Great Hall) in the 360 video here on the Lego website: https://www.lego.com/en-ae/product/the-battle-of-hogwarts-76415

Weird that the BoH set is only on the UAE version of the LEGO website and not any of the others I checked. 

4 minutes ago, Salix said:

Weird that the BoH set is only on the UAE version of the LEGO website and not any of the others I checked.  

I wonder if there is a retailer exclusive contract putting some roadblocks in the way of the reveal. Haven't we had in the US both Barnes & Noble and Kohls have retail exclusives on some of the Harry Potter Lego sets?

18 minutes ago, steam235 said:

I wonder if there is a retailer exclusive contract putting some roadblocks in the way of the reveal. Haven't we had in the US both Barnes & Noble and Kohls have retail exclusives on some of the Harry Potter Lego sets?

Target is currently advertising that Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes is exclusive to them.  Not sure if that's just the pre-order phase or if the set will only be available from them or Lego in the US as they are showing the same for a couple of the Disney 100 sets.

Edited by karrit

52 minutes ago, karrit said:

Target is currently advertising that Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes is exclusive to them.  Not sure if that's just the pre-order phase or if the set will only be available from them or Lego in the US as they are showing the same for a couple of the Disney 100 sets.

Not on the app

1 hour ago, NostalgicBricks said:

@BacktoBricks I agree with you completely. I, too, hope that next year will be a return to form. Are you planning on buying any summer sets? It's still up in the air for me, which I find so shocking and sad.

Honestly, probably not. I don't need another train and the minifigures are mainly reuses. Sure Harry's glasses print is cute, the photo album cool etc, but the grey roofs are just wrong and I don't need to buy the whole set for the little things. I think my only Harry Potter purchase this year from now will be Gringotts and maybe the advent calendar

2 hours ago, Jdrewg said:

Not on the app

???  The app is showing it available for pre-orders and says only at 🎯.  Same for the Disney Duos & Villains sets.

Edited by karrit

2 hours ago, karrit said:

???  The app is showing it available for pre-orders and says only at 🎯.  Same for the Disney Duos & Villains sets.

Bad wording on their part. They're saying available for pre-order. (not shipping yet)

Preorders are on Lego too, so I see nothing exclusive. https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/diagon-alley-weasleys-wizard-wheezes-76422

2 minutes ago, Jdrewg said:

Bad wording on their part. They're saying available for pre-order. (not shipping yet)

Preorders are on Lego too, so I see nothing exclusive. https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/diagon-alley-weasleys-wizard-wheezes-76422

Retailer exclusives are usually always also available direct from Lego in the US.  Target always advertises them as "Only Available at" like they did with the Shrieking Shack & the Chess Set.  They never got the City set with the otters so it seems that one is a Walmart Exclusive though they don't advertise it that way.  Walmart also seems to get some of the big boxed Classic sets as retailer exclusives.

I just love how the new modular system looks. In my opinion, that finalized version of the sets together blows the 2018-2020 line out of the water entirely. It's so accurate to screen (minus the grey roofs).

I won't be buying WWW simply because I own Diagon Alley, but I'm happy they've managed to find a way to release the set in a manner that's affordable for everyone. Hopefully we will see more Diagon Alley extensions like this in the coming years.

While I agree the new modular is absolutely stunning, it really would look perfect with a proper Grand Staircase Tower. I wish they had made Dumbledore's office more round!

For my fellow UK-ers, Smyths toys has 4 of the sets up, confirming the UK prices:

Hogwarts Express - £114.99
Battle of Hogwarts - £74.99
Quidditch Trunk - £62.99
Expecto Patronum - £62.99

Weasley's Wizard Wheezes (£84.99) and Dobby (price unknown) must be store exclusives. 

19 hours ago, NostalgicBricks said:

For my fellow UK-ers, Smyths toys has 4 of the sets up, confirming the UK prices:

Hogwarts Express - £114.99
Battle of Hogwarts - £74.99
Quidditch Trunk - £62.99
Expecto Patronum - £62.99

Weasley's Wizard Wheezes (£84.99) and Dobby (price unknown) must be store exclusives. 

Ouch that trunk set is not worth that. I can see why people might be more inclined to get this one than the house trunk because of the Quidditch torsos, but the house trunk is regularly reduced to £40 ish. The train is also a lot more than the last system scale which I'm guessing is due to the track being included because there's not much more there otherwise. Yes there are two carriages but everything is smaller.

Are you tempted by any now you know the prices? 

That’s not a terrible price for the battle of Hogwarts but the room of requirement seems like a better deal in terms of interior. 

I want to get the battle set to make a bridge for a castle but I think I’ll wait until I can find it reduced for £60 or something 

On 5/13/2023 at 12:48 PM, BacktoBricks said:

Are you tempted by any now you know the prices? 

Well, I agree with you about the trunk - I'm definitely not getting that or Expecto Patronum. I will look to see if any get good reductions towards the end of the year, in case I still feel like I "need" to be a completionist. But I can also see myself not getting either.

Because it wouldn't feel like my birthday (in July) without getting HP Lego, so I'm definitely going to get Battle of Hogwarts and Dobby as gifts (which I assume to be £25-30). I really want Hogwarts Express and WWW for the side builds and figures/accessories, but I don't know if I'd feel good about paying full price for them, or asking for them at full price as gifts, with me having the main buildings already. For the past couple of years I've got a 20% code for Very around my Birthday which I've used for the HP sets, so if I could get the Express and BoH for 20% off I might be more inclined to get WWW at full price from Lego. But then I remember Gringotts is just around the corner, and that I want to save up for the Wizarding World festival in America, so I don't really know. I guess all I know is that I'll definitely get Dobby and BoH. *huh*:purrr:

The sets are now all on s@h :classic: The HE is a bit more expensive than I thought, but it makes sense considering that the station and a second carriage are included.

All, but Dobby and Expecto Patronum, feel grosly overpriced.

I know I keep harping on this, but I really don't understand the pricing for the Harry Potter theme. As I've said, the cheapest set of the ENTIRE YEAR (!) is the EUR 30 Dobby figure. The cheapest actual playsets are EUR 35 (if you count the banners) or EUR 45 (if you don't). And that's in a theme heavily marketed towards kids with all the various Ameet books, plushie toys, and boxes of puzzles and stickers with a single minifigure in them.

Again, the only two sets with a list price of LESS than EUR 30 are the Thestral Carriage from 2022 and the Polyjuice Potions Mistake from 2021 (which I think has gone EOL already)? And Dots, but again that's not playsets.

Just - WHY???? How does this make any sense at all? Why can, say, Marvel make a licenced Guardians of the Galaxy set with two desirable minifigures and a build for EUR 10, and Star Wars all those microfighters, and don't even get me started on Friends and City - but Harry Potter only STARTS at EUR 30? And let's face it, just how many kids will want a buildable figure of a non-action character with no minifig included?

And it's not like they'd run out of ideas for smaller playsets because they can just remake stuff that's long overdue like the Troll on the Loose or the Final Challenge or whatnot.

I just don't get that at all.

Edited by brickbride

Now that the Battle of Hogwarts set is on the Lego site, where can I find the official image of the combined castle that leak a few weeks ago?

@steam235 I don't think we'll be able to see it until the instructions to BoH are available, because it looks likes it's a picture from them. Or perhaps when updated catalogues hit the stores, they'll have the new set up as well.

In the meantime there's a digital model of it up on mecabricks you can toy with. https://www.mecabricks.com/en/models/1XjdNKOna8b

As far as marketing goes, it's a weird choice that you might not have your overarching plan for your theme's modular series widely published until some of the required sets are off the shelves. Can you imagine not seeing it until you open your Christmas pressies, only to discover Sirius's Rescue, PPM and the Hospital Wing have gone EOL?