Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, Maple said:

It's not a great set, the build is terrible and Lego made a HUGE flaw with it. The 6 sections are all pretty much the same build. 4 of them are literally 90% the same build. They should have had 6 instruction books and had the set be one of those 'build together' models. I got it for $55 so I'm happy with it but at $100 it's a hard pass.

Having nearly identical builds is perfect for a location featuring stacks of nearly identical offices. If they had only made one of each kind it would be the normal cheapout approach they do 90% of the time for repetative structures. Use the app or the free PDF to group build, that's such a niche complaint to have 6 people work on one set. 

Sure I don't love the actual construction of the sections to death, the red is too bright and some of the pieces are a bit jumbled looking, but for a non d2c to be that respectable and have a big presence it's far more meat than is normally on offer. 

This isn't an arch I'd die in nor do I think I'd change anyone's mind, but it's a much better location set than they could and usually make. 

22 minutes ago, empiresperish said:

Having nearly identical builds is perfect for a location featuring stacks of nearly identical offices. If they had only made one of each kind it would be the normal cheapout approach they do 90% of the time for repetative structures. Use the app or the free PDF to group build, that's such a niche complaint to have 6 people work on one set. 

Sure I don't love the actual construction of the sections to death, the red is too bright and some of the pieces are a bit jumbled looking, but for a non d2c to be that respectable and have a big presence it's far more meat than is normally on offer. 

This isn't an arch I'd die in nor do I think I'd change anyone's mind, but it's a much better location set than they could and usually make. 

There was no need for the booklet to be one big book, it could have been 6 little books. But if you don't like my complaint I have several others. LEGO is a building toy, building 6 of the exact same thing is a boring build. There are 6 little rooms, it's a $100 That's $16.67 a room. Each room is not worth that. You think it's a much better location set then LEGO normally makes? I don't even know what that means but it's one of the worst Harry Potter sets since the theme returned. (The theme has set a high bar.) The dislike for it is warranted. I bought it because I liked the dark green.

New polybag: I like it, we can finally builds a full ravenclaw team!

it may not be fully identical but it looks like the same top as in the diagon alley set… a little lighter probably. Would be good to see the back too

Edited by TheInvisibleMan

The mini Build of the pitch is fascinating, I wonder if it’s scaled to compliment the mini castle and grounds set we are expecting this year 

On 2/23/2023 at 5:50 PM, BrickMatit said:

I have nearly a month of delay...

but I hope that minifigures depicted in leaked images (Harry, Ron, Hermione and Draco from the "snowball battle" in PoA + Aberforth), probably coming in the 2023 Advent Calendar, will arrive in a better set than the 2022 one. I mean, I appreciated some of the minifigures (Tonks and Neville) and some of the microbuilds are really well done (I particularly like Womping Willow and Gringotts), but this is not a type of Advent Calendar I would buy again. Untill now this is my least favourite, while the 2020 one (Yule Ball themed) the best.

Agreed, Im way more excited for this AC than I have been for the last 2.

I wonder if it will include some micro Hogsmeade buildings in addition to tables or Butterbeer mugs and new prints for signposts etc 

1 hour ago, Maple said:

There was no need for the booklet to be one big book, it could have been 6 little books. But if you don't like my complaint I have several others. LEGO is a building toy, building 6 of the exact same thing is a boring build. There are 6 little rooms, it's a $100 That's $16.67 a room. Each room is not worth that. You think it's a much better location set then LEGO normally makes? I don't even know what that means but it's one of the worst Harry Potter sets since the theme returned. (The theme has set a high bar.) The dislike for it is warranted. I bought it because I liked the dark green.

You must have a big problem with the way a lot of sets are split then. I'd prefer less books because storing them, especially the ones with multiple sizes, is a way bigger pain than someone having to open a pdf for an hour. The actual design of the set, and the stuff included that the designers had input on, however, is for sure worth $16.67 a room. If you divvied up the figures and accessories, those would still be dream sets to most of the people on here who moan about larger sets not being broken up into smaller ones all the time. Everyone wants anniversary style modules like the bathroom and those would most likely be built virtually identically with the same tan pillars and panels. 

The Ministry of Magic is one of my favourite Lego sets - it was a fantastic build, the minifigures are exceptional, it has lots of nice nods to the books and movies, it represents a scene and movie never explored before; and it makes a great display piece. Everyone has different opinions and experiences.

I like the new polybag but I'm irritated that there isn't a cape (and what's with the blue legs?) and I have NEVER seen a HP polybag for sale in the UK yet - the only way I was able to get the previous ones was as a free gift from the Lego Store. Perhaps this will make it easier to buy the torso on Bricklink, though.

Not long to go for the March wave! I'm excited. 

16 hours ago, Vindicare said:

My Quidditch polybag dream came true! Much better than buying 7 books too. :laugh:

From an environmental standpoint, surely. But in their defense, the Ameet books were so fairly priced, it's very nearly break even here. (5 vs 4 EUR)

With a bit of luck, though, we might see the polybag at 20% off in the near future. 

On 2/25/2023 at 1:47 AM, Vindicare said:

My Quidditch polybag dream came true! Much better than buying 7 books too. :laugh:

Reminds me of that time I bought 7 books for Cedric. :P

Between the Doctor Strange and Quidditch polybags, I really like this subgenre of forced perspective builds they keep doing right now :thumbup: Hope they continue with that!

Also, I can‘t believe I like a Quidditch polybag this much, of all things :laugh: 

3 hours ago, Salix said:

I bought 2 on a 2 for 1 offer from Amazon. Well it got lost at the post office so they sent me more. And then the post office found them anyway!

Okay I am late to the party but allow me ask you a quesiton. Is it true that we will get Gringotts?!

15 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Okay I am late to the party but allow me ask you a quesiton. Is it true that we will get Gringotts?!

Yes, and also a Gringotts vault gwp. Very exciting.

36 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Yes, and also a Gringotts vault gwp. Very exciting.

YESSSSSS!!! About time!!

On 2/25/2023 at 5:46 AM, NostalgicBricks said:

The Ministry of Magic is one of my favourite Lego sets - it was a fantastic build, the minifigures are exceptional, it has lots of nice nods to the books and movies, it represents a scene and movie never explored before; and it makes a great display piece. Everyone has different opinions and experiences.

For my part on this Ministry discussion, I agree with all of this (besides maybe fantastic build - not that it was bad, it was just repetitive), but what really lets down the Ministry for me is the nearly unusable interior. There's hardly any room for play or even display in the interior because the rooms are SO thin. There's no place to put a figure standing in most of them.

I'm also mixed on the representations of the hall of prophecies and the court room being jammed into what are offices from the outside. They are nice references, but again look kind of weird and random on display and don't work well for play at least when the Ministry is in tower mode.

Overall I found the Ministry pretty great as an AFOL-leaning set - good external display and impact, fun details to behold while building that you'll never look at again, and lots of excellent and novel Minifigures - but I could've used at least one more stud of depth for all the rooms to make them feel a bit more resolved.

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

what really lets down the Ministry for me is the nearly unusable interior. There's hardly any room for play or even display in the interior because the rooms are SO thin. There's no place to put a figure standing in most of them.

Yeah, the interiors really don’t have any room to play in at all. Not only is there not much depth to the rooms, but there’s no height either. Which isn’t a problem with most of them, but when I went to put Umbridge at her seat behind the elevated podium in the courtroom, it took a bit of finagling to actually get her up there. She technically fits, but there’s a support beam that blocks the upper half of her face, including her eyes. The effect if you set up the courtroom scene is fine from a distance, but rather awkward if you actually look at it closely. 

With all the incoming HP GWP sets, do you guys suggest I hold off on buying the Room of Requirement and Second Task sets on Wednesday?

The Harry Potter DOTS sets are back up on shop@home. Looks like the reason they disappeared was because Lego wanted to do a social media push for the collaboration - at least the sets going back up seems to have coincided with Lego posting a promo on Instagram. 

3 hours ago, joeee said:

With all the incoming HP GWP sets, do you guys suggest I hold off on buying the Room of Requirement and Second Task sets on Wednesday?

It really depends on your situation...

The GWP price thresholds seem higher this year, and it’s usually limited to the HP theme. If you’re caught up on the all sets you want from HP and don’t buy every set, then you should wait. If you still have sets from previous years to buy or plan on purchasing every summer set, you should be fine buying the March sets now.

6 hours ago, joeee said:

What do you mean, do you know something we don't know? Have I missed something? I thought there was only the rumour of the one vault GWP to go alonside Gringotts? :shrug_confused:

24 minutes ago, NostalgicBricks said:

What do you mean, do you know something we don't know? Have I missed something? I thought there was only the rumour of the one vault GWP to go alonside Gringotts? :shrug_confused:

I think they meant the Quidditch Polybag, they're often handed out when you buy stuff at the lego store, so I guess we can technically call it a gwp.

Since it is the day before the new 2023 sets release, here is..

The (unofficial) Eurobricks HP Forum Top 10 Set Ranking of LEGO HP from 2018-2022:

1. Diagon Alley

2. Attack on the Burrow

3. 12 Grimmauld Place

4. Astronomy Tower

5. Hagrid's Hut

6. Great Hall

7. D2C Hogwarts Castle

8. Hogsmeade Village

9. Clock Tower

10. Shrieking Shack

Two 2022 sets cracked the list, with 12 Grimmauld Place making top 3! The Astronomy Tower and Hagrid's Hut have gone up in popularity, while the D2C Hogwarts Castle, Great Hall, and Clock Tower all dropped a few spots. Otherwise, we are pretty consistent in our opinions - the top 8 from last year remained in our top 10.

We'll see how Gringotts impacts this list at the end of the year! 

Last year's list: 1. Diagon Alley 2. Attack on the Burrow 3. Great Hall 4. Clock Tower 5. D2C Hogwarts Castle 6. Hagrid's Hut 7. Astronomy Tower 8. Hogsmeade Village Visit 9. Chamber of Secrets 10. The Rise of Voldemort

Wow, I didn't think the Burrow was that popular or that the Great Hall would do as poorly as it did, it's such an iconic set. I wonder if / how the results would differ if they had all been released at once. 

Thanks, @evanevanevan, for taking the time to collate the results.  :classic:

On 2/25/2023 at 8:50 AM, krimimimi said:

From an environmental standpoint, surely. But in their defense, the Ameet books were so fairly priced, it's very nearly break even here. (5 vs 4 EUR)

With a bit of luck, though, we might see the polybag at 20% off in the near future. 

Heh, it was more the having 6 extra books & nothing to do with them. 

On 2/27/2023 at 6:43 AM, Salix said:

Exactly. :laugh: At least polybags have parts that can be used elsewhere. Those poor books are just gathering dust.