Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

14 minutes ago, JeanGreyForever said:

There were about 50 or 51 sets in the beginning and I first had to click on all the ones I was interested in. The ones I didn't bother to click on, I wasn't asked anything about. Like the Hogwarts Icons set I didn't bother to click on whereas I did with the Sorting Hat, not because I was interested in it, but because I knew it was a new set. So for the sets I was interested in, I had to name prices but I could say $0 as well, which is what I did for example with the Sorting Hat. Then I was asked to pick from a series of reasons as to why I wasn't buying it. There were many sets that I personally wasn't interested in buying, like the Zelda one, but I knew it has a huge fanbase and people have been always asking for it so I did bid high on that to indicate a level of interest. Especially since out of all the sets, that one was the one whose inclusion surprised me the most since I was under the impression that Lego did not have the rights to make it, so I figured they're definitely gauging interest for Zelda to see if there's a market for it or not.

OK, interesting, that make sense..
I hope you and the rest taking the survey gave the medieval village both thumbs up because that is a dream set for me :grin:

It doesn't surprise me that Lego have decided to do a D2C Burrow given how popular it has been in 2010 and 2020.  I actually think it's a good idea as we will finally get not only a screen accurate exterior but the same for the interior to.  We'll be able to get rooms for all the kids and even the room from the beginning of Goblet of Fire.  

EDIT:  I have to say though I think a 12 Grimmauld Place as a D2C would have been a much better idea or even Lovegood House. 

Edited by Legoman123

12 hours ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

I hate to be a moaning myrtle but it just feels like a brand overreaching to excessive proportions.

Eh, I don't mind these any more than I mind the Friends minidolls for trying to appeal to a different market. Perhaps it's not what I like or want, but the more interest as a whole, the better the chances for longevity of the product / theme, and that increases the likelihood they'll eventually get around to the sets and minifigs I really want. It's only really a problem if you're keen on completing the collection, and frankly I expect companies to capitalise on and not cater to FOMO. 

13 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

Are we believing these images, they look really fake to me

I'm not on board that they're necessarily real in-the-works sets, although that doesn't mean they couldn't be used as stand-ins in a survey. (The Burrow's chimney, for one, looks like a never ever.)

On the other hand, if you remember the pictures of the Great Hall from the 2018 toy fair, which was maybe half a year out from the set's actual release, there were a number of inaccuracies in what was displayed when compared to the final version at a point in time when I imagine they'd have had to have nailed the design down more. Lego as a medium lends itself exceptionally well to a few quick distortions which may help with combating the knock-off products, or at least I imagine that was part of the reason for it. 

46 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

Are we believing these images, they look really fake to me

Have you seen all of them? Because they‘re so detailed and well-designed, it‘s almost unthinkable that somebody would put in this much effort just to troll people. There’s real talent and passion behind them. I‘ve said it before, but if they‘re fake, the person responsible needs to be hired by TLG immediately :laugh:

Does anyone have any tips for modifying the new Hogwarts system with the 2018-2020 versions? I've considered swapping the roofs to grey, but I'm not sure how costly that will be? I have also considered turning the 2018- roofs to green, but I think I genuinely need examples on how it could look before I fully commit. There's also the issue with the Great Hall. Could the 2018 version somehow be modded to fit in with the modular sets? Any tips/pics/advice will be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Alas_Earwax said:

Does anyone have any tips for modifying the new Hogwarts system with the 2018-2020 versions? I've considered swapping the roofs to grey, but I'm not sure how costly that will be? I have also considered turning the 2018- roofs to green, but I think I genuinely need examples on how it could look before I fully commit. There's also the issue with the Great Hall. Could the 2018 version somehow be modded to fit in with the modular sets? Any tips/pics/advice will be appreciated.

I'd definitely check out HollyOnFilm's videos combining the sets. I know she tries grey roofs on the new designs at least and it gives a good picture of what all you would need for that and how it would look. I also know there was someone on here who was combining the sets (with some of their own additions), and hopefully they can show up with some more pics of it all haha.

I'm not sure how well the 2018 Great hall could be modified to be modular considering it's not as much of a boxy base, but I suppose it could be done with a lot of restructuring. 

4 hours ago, Alas_Earwax said:

I'm pretty sure someone posted a list of what parts were needed to convert the roofs of the 2021 sets to gray.  It wasn't ridiculously expensive.  I had most of the needed parts from some bulk lots I had purchased so there wasn't much I had to order from Lego.  I'll see if I can find the list.

Found it, originally posted by Metanoios :

Grey roofs dollar

Edited by karrit

The recent leak showing the concept for a hypothetical future The Burrow set leaded me to make a consideration I wanna share.

Imagining Harry Potter as an evergreen theme, which are the 3 (or similar number) sets and 10 (or similar number) minifigures LEGO should always have on shelves (in any variant), affordable for the larger community of LEGO and Harry Potter fan (so in a range from 0 to 100/150)?

My personal list of sets is
- The Great Hall
- Hagrid's Hut
- The Burrow

My personal list of minifigures is
- Harry
- Ron
- Hermione
- Hagrid
- Dumbledore
- Draco
- Snape
- Ginny
- Neville
- Luna
- Voldemort (or Raptor/Tom Riddle)
- Cedric

I thought about these lists supposing to be a new entry Harry Potter theme buyer and, of course, they're strongly influenced by what I think is important in Harry Potter (and thought when I was a kid).

The two list are not related, so LEGO shouldn't have to to put Cedric in Hagrid's Hut or Voldemort at The Burrow :laugh:

5 hours ago, BrickMatit said:

Imagining Harry Potter as an evergreen theme, which are the 3 (or similar number) sets and 10 (or similar number) minifigures LEGO should always have on shelves (in any variant), affordable for the larger community of LEGO and Harry Potter fan (so in a range from 0 to 100/150)?

Fun question, I'd say Great hall, Hagrid's hut and Hogwarts Express are essential sets.  And I agree with your figs except I'd swap Cedric for Sirius (loving the Sirius overload recently).

On a related note, does anyone else feel like their loyalty to LEGO is being exploited lately?  It definitely feels like there are too many sets each year and too many repeats which devalue already owned sets.  The new burrow is a prime example, for me the leak is oversized and lacks the charm of a LEGO-ified set location - and it's a very inaccessible way to get a Bill/Charlie figure.  I felt the same about the anniversary figures in the Hogwarts Icons sets, I've loved LEGO Harry Potter since the original sets and the 20 year anniversary figures were really cool but releasing mini-figures in a non-minifigure scale set felt a bit exploitative as many don't have interest in non-minifig scale products - especially ones that aren't linked to the anniversary being celebrated.

Anyone agree/disagree?

5 hours ago, BrickMatit said:

Imagining Harry Potter as an evergreen theme, which are the 3 (or similar number) sets and [12] minifigures LEGO should always have on shelves (in any variant), affordable for the larger community of LEGO and Harry Potter fan (so in a range from 0 to 100/150)?

Emphasis mine, and I propose a change. I suspect fatigue sets in from having something permanently available, and that you need breaks in between. So it should be more like five or six sets in rotation, any two or three of which are always on the shelves. I also think giving them a little breathing room from their predecessor would be beneficial to how a set is received. 

For example my first place answer is definitely Hogwarts Castle. As much as I like love the 2018 Great Hall, the classrooms (primarily Potions, closely followed by various DADA scenes) are what really make up most of the HP world for me, so a Great Hall without any just isn't as appealing. (And otherwise it needs to take up 2 places in this list, Great Hall set accompanied by a classroom set, as we had with the 1st Whomping Willow set.) In that light, as a stand alone, 2021's CoS is a greater success as a set, it just suffered in immediate contrast to the far superior 2018 design. So here again more breathing room would have helped (admittedly as would a more cohesive rest-of-castle design for the CoS).  

And of course a range of prices would help a lot. Not all of us are minted. 😆 So maybe one set in the $100-150, one around the $70-80 mark, and a third at $40-50. 

My six sets in rotation, any two or three of which are always on the shelves:
- Hogwarts Castle |or| Great Hall 
- Knight Bus |or| Hogwart's Express (and I don't even like trains all that much)
- Hagrid's Hut |or| Potions / DADA Classroom 

I've stuck with your format of 12 minifigs, ranked:
- Harry
- Hermione
- Ron
- Snape
- Draco
- Dumbledore
- McGonagall
- Hagrid
- Ginny
- Neville
- Luna
- generic Weasley twin

Edited by krimimimi

2 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

- generic Weasley

Ah yes, good old Uncle Generic Weasley. He didn't make it into any of the films though, did he? I thought it was only a few references in the books. :laugh:

Nice list. Agreed that a break is probably needed, but having a permanent main castle setting, transportation set, and smaller intimate space is definitely a good balance.

Just now, RichardGoring said:

Ah yes, good old Uncle Generic Weasley. He didn't make it into any of the films though, did he? I thought it was only a few references in the books. :laugh:

The suspiciously truncated "twin" was doing the heavy casting in that sentence. 😛 As their own mother couldn't tell them apart, I'm satisfied with either a Forge or Gred. 😉

53 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

The suspiciously truncated "twin" was doing the heavy casting in that sentence. 😛 As their own mother couldn't tell them apart, I'm satisfied with either a Forge or Gred. 😉

Couldn't resist. Sorry! :wink:

5 hours ago, Yope said:

Fun question, I'd say Great hall, Hagrid's hut and Hogwarts Express are essential sets.  And I agree with your figs except I'd swap Cedric for Sirius (loving the Sirius overload recently).

On a related note, does anyone else feel like their loyalty to LEGO is being exploited lately?  It definitely feels like there are too many sets each year and too many repeats which devalue already owned sets.  The new burrow is a prime example, for me the leak is oversized and lacks the charm of a LEGO-ified set location - and it's a very inaccessible way to get a Bill/Charlie figure.  I felt the same about the anniversary figures in the Hogwarts Icons sets, I've loved LEGO Harry Potter since the original sets and the 20 year anniversary figures were really cool but releasing mini-figures in a non-minifigure scale set felt a bit exploitative as many don't have interest in non-minifig scale products - especially ones that aren't linked to the anniversary being celebrated.

Anyone agree/disagree?

I just wish Sirius had more face prints...

I absolutely agree. With the leak of all those big sets...along with big price tags...it kinda pissed me off. To dodge the incoming “you don’t have to buy them all” comments, yes I know. But chances are that most of us do our best to buy all of what we like/love & lately it’s very overwhelming. I know they’re taking advantage of their new found fame among adults, but I’d love it if they would pump the brakes a bit. 

@Yope I both agree and disagree. (Mileage, it apparently varies. lol) I've not enjoyed the Sirius overload in the least. 2022: no Ginny, no Hagrid, and the only Draco (although excellent) was in a 500 EUR deluxe, non-system scale set. Although I appreciate them covering a variety of characters as opposed to just re-releasing the core every year (as long as the core are available affordably in other sets or will be again soon), four different versions of the same character in one year certainly is not that desired variety. 

As for gated figs and repeats... I'm in favour of repeats, even when it devalues (to some extent) things in my collection. It shouldn't just be for investors, and if I'm complaining about gating on the one hand (and I am 😊; see below), for consistency's sake it feels fundamentally wrong to then want to gate parts of a story for the fans who come up behind us. There should be a way for younger (or new) fans to join the rest of us without breaking the bank.

Fig-gating part 1, Charlie / Bill: Lucius Malfoy and the Hufflepuff Quidditch robes were gated by the very pricey (but at least minifig scale) DA, but soon after they put them in several very affordable books, which was exceedingly decent of them, so I wouldn't give up hope for Charlie / Bill just yet. (Mind, the Ravenclaw team would like a decidedly snarky word, and rightly so... 😉

Fig-gating part 2. On the other hand, I couldn't agree with you more about gating three of the golden anniversary minifigs behind the Icons set. That felt like a gut punch, especially as their inclusion was announced later and I'd purchased things in order to "complete" the series that I wouldn't have if I'd known three more golden minifigs were coming at a much higher price. The Chess set was still affordable enough to either BL the missing golden minifig or just get the set. Icons was a completely different league and it seemed a deeply cynical move in a year (and with content) that should have been a celebration. If they'd left those three figs out, no one would have cared overmuch, or not more so than they do that there's no golden Draco, but as is, it's an incompletion in a limited run. 😕  

Similarly I wasn't pleased at them attaching Percy and the Prefect's uniform to what is increasingly feeling like a pricey, low effort book series, nor can my shelves afford the wasted cm of literal empty space / cardboard filler in the books. (For that travesty alone someone should be mucking out the Blast-Ended Skrewts' enclosure for Hagrid for the foreseeable future. 😉)  

Hey, on a different note, when you made your lists of screen time / book mentions of the characters not yet in minifig form (since the reboot), did you happen to have the stats on the most popular ones as well? I wouldn't mind collating one if you can provide me with the raw data? I think it might be interesting when we're done listing must-include-figs to see how those minutes and mentions stack up against our rankings. Sheer time alone isn't the same as the measure of the impact of a scene, and I'm curious how that contrasts. 

2 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Promobricks just posted that 76419 is not the Knight Bus (but apparently it's "perfect")

Huh. Hopefully a playset then :classic:

5 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Or it's just the Burrow

Maybe? But they reiterated in the same IG story that none of the leaks are guaranteed to happen, so that'd be a tad inconsistent :tongue:

5 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Maybe? But they reiterated in the same IG story that none of the leaks are guaranteed to happen, so that'd be a tad inconsistent :tongue:

well we know at least one of them is confirmed (rivendell) so who knows whats going on

On 1/14/2023 at 4:34 PM, bRICKbRAT said:

I guess I’m just a lucky guy

Maybe 76419 isn’t the Knight Bus…

but that’s just another one of my predictions. 

Oh wow another prediction came true 

Edited by bRICKbRAT
Spelling

1 minute ago, bRICKbRAT said:

Another prediction that came true 

Durmstang Ship confirmed? Be still my beating heart