Clone OPatra

Marvel Superheroes 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Is it just me, or has the idea of No Way Home sets become a distant, abstract, amd unobtainable thing?

Not really. The Infinity Saga sets go to show they're perfectly fine with revisiting movies, and NWH is an ideal candidate for revisiting a more recent movie beyond the Infinity Saga. I sure hope they will do it before the end of the Multiverse Saga :tongue: Or maybe they pull the same release-sets-based-on-older-movies-to-avoid-spoilers-for-new-one routine again and release NWH sets in time for Spidey 4 :laugh_hard:

3 hours ago, PGBQW said:

Honestly at this point I don't really care about it anymore? Like it's been over a year since the movoe came out

TBH I don't care either, the only set I would want is an MCU Green Goblin and glider.

With the Statue of Liberty being a giant construction site with all the scaffolding, I don't think it would make for a visually interesting set. Maybe if they cut out the entire lower torso, almost like a bust. That way the parts budget could support a detailed torch and shield.

Latest rumor going round is that What If Season 2 has now been pushed back to 2024. Can't say I'm bothered by it to be honest. I'd be happy for the show to sit out the next CMF series and summer wave of sets in favor of better content.

Hopefully X-Men 97 remains unaffected.

On 1/6/2023 at 2:44 PM, Doom2099 said:

That sounds like a fantastic way to add some width and keep costs spread out over a few years. Let's hope we'd end up with a Daily Bugle minifigure situation, rather than the Sanctum.

On 1/7/2023 at 5:12 AM, LegendaryArticuno said:

Yeah, this is definitely a "concern" for me as well, there's just so many iconic X-men. I really hope they upgrade Cyclops and do him justice, I'm not a fan of just the minifigure head + print and Lego has done a lot of hair/visor specialized pieces in Ninjango so hoping Marvel can get that same treatment. Also, hope we get some of the characters like Beast, Jubilee, Psylocke, Gambit, Iceman, Bishop, Cable, Angel, Banshee, Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister, there's just a lot of potential that Lego has yet to explore with X-men.

Playsets are not the way to go if you care about quality.

Unfortunately the Daily Bugle was only able to get away with including so many minifigures because it reused a lot of existing generic parts and required characters to be introduced in other Spider-Man sets from the Winter wave.

Any X-Men D2C would very likely be another Sanctum situation unless it had several additional retail sets to cover the budget for new minifigures whom would all need new prints and potentially new molds. It's one aspect where playsets would be more beneficial over a D2C as it would help cover a larger variety of characters.

13 hours ago, Lemerbrix said:

My only problem with the Statue of Liberty is that it won’t be compatible with the other 2 modulars, as it’s on an island

x mansion would be a dream to get, imagine if Deadpool was in it as a secret character, much like the Harry minifig in diagon alley

edit: and if you think Deadpool would be unrealistic, he was originally supposed to be in the bugle

I think a common mistake many people make is assuming every Marvel/DC location that becomes a D2C set automatically HAS to be a modular building. Modulars only work for locations that are part of a larger city block. For more secluded locations you're better off going with a stand alone display piece like the Home Alone House, Mos Eisley Cantina and Disney Castle.

4 hours ago, SEmrys said:

How big would people want this theoretical statue of liberty to be? 

I watched a YouTube video earlier today where the YTer designed a NWH final battle set based on those giant Harry Potter figures. 

Replace the second fig with some scaffolding, a stand and a shield and you've got a pretty packed set for under £100 (if they were to price it similarly) .

I wouldn't want it to be any bigger than the 76057 Bridge Battle set. The draw for NWH sets is ultimately all about the minifigures.

If I wanted a D2C Statue of Liberty I'd rather buy an Icons set based directly on the real landmark instead of some movie's adaption of it.

I tried to searsh for new info about What If...? delayed to 2024, but found none. wesker, where did you read it?

44 minutes ago, Shiva said:

I tried to searsh for new info about What If...? delayed to 2024, but found none. wesker, where did you read it?

Twitter user @Canwegettoast. I'm not making claims on accuracy or legitimacy, just sharing the source.

I am curious though: Which 2023 projects do you guys think will be in the CMF series? For me, Secret Invasion, and maybe Loki, seem like the only projects from this year to make in the series.

48 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

I am curious though: Which 2023 projects do you guys think will be in the CMF series? For me, Secret Invasion, and maybe Loki, seem like the only projects from this year to make in the series.

I’m thinking it’ll be Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, Secret Invasion, and Loki. They would all comfortably get 2 figures each, though I could see them also adding Werewolf by Night and sacrificing a figure from a show or two (I think Moon Knight and Ms. Marvel, for example, really only need the titular characters). 

Regardless of whether or not What If…? was delayed, I could see it being omitted from the series since it got such a heavy focus last time and they’ll likely do sets for it. Plus, we technically already have a set and a CMF figure from Season 2. 

20 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Why do people still think that they'd ever make a No Way Home 200€ D2C?

Making a set for a movie that has three Spider-Men, and five of their villains unavailable to children, which are the actual target of those sets, would be a ridiculous business decision. 

*Coughs in Death Star*

I've made this point time after time, but lego is banking on this being a set kids would save up for YEARS to buy, just like the death star. A Liberty Battle D2C would be this generation's death star. (And a great deal cheaper too, even if we don't count the horrific inflation of the past few years the death star was 2.5x more than the supposed NWH D2C when it retired)

8 hours ago, PGBQW said:

"If you think Deadpool would be unrealistic, they were unable to use him in the past"

Honestly at this point I don't really care about it anymore? Like it's been over a year since the movoe came out

Most logical deadpool fan. (I'm joking @Lemerbrix, I get your point. At the very least, someone at lego is actively advocating for deadpool, so there is a chance he could be in an 18+ set eventually).

I'm not saying you personally have to care about them. (Actually, yes. I am. I am forcing you to care about this particular sub-line of plastic toys. This is totally logically coherent.) However, being a year old means nothing general sales-wise if the movie is anywhere NEAR as loved or popular as NWH. The OT generally had the best-selling sets until the kids who grew up with TCW got old enough to bulk buy anything involving a clone. Harry Potter sets sell super well for some reason. Nolan Trilogy sets still sell well, when they make DC sets at all. 

3 hours ago, wesker said:

Latest rumor going round is that What If Season 2 has now been pushed back to 2024. Can't say I'm bothered by it to be honest. I'd be happy for the show to sit out the next CMF series and summer wave of sets in favor of better content.

Can't wait for the CMF to be half full of figs for a show that'll launch at least half a year after it!

1 hour ago, Buckethead said:

Twitter user @Canwegettoast. I'm not making claims on accuracy or legitimacy, just sharing the source.

MTTSH's variant.

(I would say echo fighter, but variant is marvel, so...)

11 hours ago, PGBQW said:

Same. I mean, I don't even like the movie really.

I'd just buy them because it'll be the only chance to get all the legacy characters.

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

*Coughs in Death Star*

I've made this point time after time, but lego is banking on this being a set kids would save up for YEARS to buy, just like the death star. A Liberty Battle D2C would be this generation's death star. (And a great deal cheaper too, even if we don't count the horrific inflation of the past few years the death star was 2.5x more than the supposed NWH D2C when it retired)

Not really, because most kids just forget about something like this along the way, it becomes an unobtainable dream.

Making a whole wave of those sets, that any kid could buy or ask for is a superior marketing move.

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Coughs in Death Star*

I'd argue the Death Star is way more iconic as a concept that the NWH rendition of the statue of liberty.

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

However, being a year old means nothing general sales-wise if the movie is anywhere NEAR as loved or popular as NWH. The OT generally had the best-selling sets until the kids who grew up with TCW got old enough to bulk buy anything involving a clone. Harry Potter sets sell super well for some reason. Nolan Trilogy sets still sell well, when they make DC sets at all.

I'd argue it's a different case here. Like Star Wars and Harry Potter are older franchises, but they're not built like a TV show were every movie is just a very expensive episode.

Like for example, Harry Potter's Howarts sets are a genious idea because even if you don't particularly care about the movie they're based on, you can still expand the building featured on the other ones. Also it has a more focused set of characters.

I dont even like Star Wars, but like the original trilogy are some of the most iconic movies of all time, so its not exactly faded away from public conscience.

Even if you love every single Marvel movie, NWH was like 5 projects ago, and people have moved on to the next movie (antman I think?)

Like I'm not saying I don't want more Lego Spider-man, I just don't see it happening at this point.

Just now, wesker said:

Hopefully X-Men 97 remains unaffected.

Unfortunately the Daily Bugle was only able to get away with including so many minifigures because it reused a lot of existing generic parts and required characters to be introduced in other Spider-Man sets from the Winter wave.

Any X-Men D2C would very likely be another Sanctum situation unless it had several additional retail sets to cover the budget for new minifigures whom would all need new prints and potentially new molds. It's one aspect where playsets would be more beneficial over a D2C as it would help cover a larger variety of characters.

I think a common mistake many people make is assuming every Marvel/DC location that becomes a D2C set automatically HAS to be a modular building. Modulars only work for locations that are part of a larger city block. For more secluded locations you're better off going with a stand alone display piece like the Home Alone House, Mos Eisley Cantina and Disney Castle.

I wouldn't want it to be any bigger than the 76057 Bridge Battle set. The draw for NWH sets is ultimately all about the minifigures.

If I wanted a D2C Statue of Liberty I'd rather buy an Icons set based directly on the real landmark instead of some movie's adaption of it.

I think a lot of people do not understand what a modular actually is, I have to say initially I didn't so it is very easy to just assume it's a large detailed display piece.  Personally if we are getting a Marvel D2C this year I do hope it is something with a good interior as well as exterior.  Obviously I would love X-Mansion but I don't see that happening yet (even though it did reach 10000 votes on cuusoo) but something like Avengers Tower or even a Helicarrier with interior could work really well. 

11 hours ago, wesker said:

Does it matter if it's pushed back at this point? The decisions for whats in CMF are likely in place and cant be changed. An episode was pushed last time and we still got the set release. I think if they are in there, they will stay in there even if pushed. 

11 hours ago, wesker said:

This is actually the other way round. The figures were designed for the Bugle and were used sooner for the Winter wave. Mark Stafford mentioned this in his AMA after the Bugle's release if Im not mistaken.

27 minutes ago, BusterNut31 said:

so is the 200 dollar set now an art set?? Do they sell that well?

Art is its own theme with its own unique set numbers. There is a $200 Spidey Art set, but that has nothing to do with the $200 D2C :tongue:

And of course the X-Mansion is being discussed again, like clockwork :laugh_hard: Guys, hate to break it to you, but there’s no way they’re releasing an X-Men D2C before the team is introduced in the MCU. The X-Men aren’t in the public eye enough at the moment to warrant a set like that

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

28 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Art is its own theme with its own unique set numbers. There is a $200 Spidey Art set, but that has nothing to do with the $200 D2C :tongue:

Wonder what thats going to be. The price vs piece count suggests its not a mosaic. The batman set is over 4000 pieces for $120.....

47 minutes ago, squiz18 said:

Wonder what thats going to be. The price vs piece count suggests its not a mosaic. The batman set is over 4000 pieces for $120.....

Also excited for that one :excited: I’m glad the Art theme is branching out a bit. As much as I like the mosaics, stuff like the Rolling Stones logo or the Great Wave are a nice change of pace

46 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Also excited for that one :excited: I’m glad the Art theme is branching out a bit. As much as I like the mosaics, stuff like the Rolling Stones logo or the Great Wave are a nice change of pace

How about a 3D into the spiderverse cityscape picture (like starry night) with 5 exclusive spidermen minifigures popping out of it? (Like the van gogh minifigure in starry night) 

9 minutes ago, squiz18 said:

How about a 3D into the spiderverse cityscape picture (like starry night) with 5 exclusive spidermen minifigures popping out of it? (Like the van gogh minifigure in starry night) 

That was an Ideas set though. I wouldn't expect Art sets to feature minifigs all of a sudden

38 minutes ago, squiz18 said:

This is such a cool idea. Or even more simply, just a 3D cityscape set of the ‘What’s Up Danger’ scene with Miles. Hands down one of the most iconic Spider-Man moments in history.

14 minutes ago, Kaijumeister said:

This is such a cool idea. Or even more simply, just a 3D cityscape set of the ‘What’s Up Danger’ scene with Miles. Hands down one of the most iconic Spider-Man moments in history.

I would love this! I saw the film 2 weeks earlier than public release, and I still remember the goosebumps that scene gave me, and how annoyed I was that I couldn't discuss how dope it was with anyone else for those 2 weeks :laugh:

Edited by Quicksilver838

9 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Not really, because most kids just forget about something like this along the way, it becomes an unobtainable dream.

Making a whole wave of those sets, that any kid could buy or ask for is a superior marketing move.

The success of the death star implies this is not the case, though.

6 hours ago, PGBQW said:

I'd argue the Death Star is way more iconic as a concept that the NWH rendition of the statue of liberty.

The death star was skinned alive so it was just the interior, because it was a big playset, not a UCS display. Assumably, this is the route they should take with a NWH statue of liberty set. (Just like I doubt most Bugle purchasers were massive fans of the concept of the daily bugle workplace. People bought it because it was designed well and a great display for all the superhero figures.)

6 hours ago, PGBQW said:

I'd argue it's a different case here. Like Star Wars and Harry Potter are older franchises, but they're not built like a TV show were every movie is just a very expensive episode.

Like for example, Harry Potter's Howarts sets are a genious idea because even if you don't particularly care about the movie they're based on, you can still expand the building featured on the other ones. Also it has a more focused set of characters.

I dont even like Star Wars, but like the original trilogy are some of the most iconic movies of all time, so its not exactly faded away from public conscience.

Even if you love every single Marvel movie, NWH was like 5 projects ago, and people have moved on to the next movie (antman I think?)

Like I'm not saying I don't want more Lego Spider-man, I just don't see it happening at this point.

I don't think so at all. The majority of people who saw, say, the Avengers films or No Way Home haven't seen every movie leading up to it. Tons of people still love the movie because most people don't treat it as a giant TV show, most people treat the movies as movies. I mean I haven't even seen every phase 4 project (Eternals and She-hulk were just so bad I couldn't get all the way through, and Ms.Marvel seemed fine but just wasn't for me.). I know a lot of people who don't even watch the MCU at all but saw NWH after they learned Tobey's spider man was in it. 

19 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison. I’d say the reason both Death Star playsets were so coveted by kids was their allure as the ‘ultimate’ LEGO Star Wars set, rather than the minifigs that were paywalled behind it, which were nothing to write home about in either case. 

As others have pointed out, what draws people to the idea of additional NWH sets are the minifigs, not really the builds associated with them. I doubt many kids (or parents) would buy a $200 Statue of Liberty set just to get the minifigs :shrug_oh_well: 

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

41 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Okay, but how do you know if this particular UCS set was successful because of kids? 

UCS sets are targeted to adults, and they are always successful, that's why we get at least two of them every year. Why do you assume the Death Star is an exception?

And yeah, like @BrickBob Studpants said, there's nothing more iconic than the Death Star (where size is a relevant factor), it's the most "Star Wars" Star Wars set. It's not just the minifigures, but the thought of having THE Death Star as a child is something marvellous. 

Why would a kid want a 200€ Statue of Liberty? The minifigures are not enough to make most children crave a 200€ set.

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

That was an Ideas set though. I wouldn't expect Art sets to feature minifigs all of a sudden

There's no reason they couldn't though. Especially if the figures are part of the picture they are portraying. 

I've no idea what it's going to be, I'm just looking at the price per price and it's way off the other art sets. They seem to range from 3-5 cents per piece. Rolling Stones is 7.5. The spiderman one is 9.5.Maybe the license costs more, but the batman one is 2.9 cents per piece as a comparison.

The only other thing that's going to bump up the price is bigger pieces and/or minifigures.  

2 hours ago, Atrius Kain said:

I wonder, could we finally get X Men sets this year? I really hope we do, it is my favorite team...

X-Men would be cool but I really doubt that we'll see them in Lego form before they show up in the MCU. They're just not as popular as the Avengers anymore, and most of them aren't well-known enough to carry a Lego set. The absolute best I could see happening this year is a cheap comics-based set with a few really famous characters like Magneto and Wolverine (basically just that helicopter set again). Even that seems very unlikely to me though.

I've seen a few people saying thanks for the list, and it is appreciated, apologies if I've not tagged you directly to reply :classic:

• Some sites listing 30653 (June Polybag) as Marvel, but keeping it as Marvel/DC for the moment
  • Addition pricing and age info for a few sets

Updated list:

Spoiler

FEBRUARY 2023 (2 Key chains and a polybag):

MARCH 2023 (Total 4)

• 10789: Spider-man's Car and Doc Ock ($9.99, 48 pcs)
  • 10790: Team Spidey at Green Goblin's Lighthouse ($34.99, 149 pcs)
  • 10791: Team Spidey's Mobile Headquarters ($49.99, 187 pcs)
  • 76256: $29.99 ('Ant-Man 3') March

APRIL 2023 (Total 4):

• 76251: $79.99 (18+, Helmet?)
  • 76253: 'Headquarters' (GotG themed) ($9.99, 67 pcs)
  • 76254: 'Spaceship' (GotG themed) ($34.99, 330 pcs)
  • 76255: (GotG themed) ($99.99, 1108 pcs) 

May 2023 (Total 1):

• 76232: $89.99 (Captain Marvel 2)

JUNE 2023 (Total 4 and a polybag):

AUGUST 2023 (Total 8):

SEPTEMBER 2023 (Total 1 & CMF Series)

UNKNOWN 2023 (Total 5):

Rumored sets:

• Additional NWH set/Movie-inspired Spider-man sets - nothing confirming the existence of the sets, but heavily desired by the community. 2HY 2023 at the earliest. 

Notes:

• Unidentified sets may wind up being from DC, please be aware
  • Currency listings are taken from a variety of sources and may vary
  • 76221 is Batmobile Flash Tracking, $44.99, releasing May 1st
  • 76257, 76258, 76259 have same box size, may be related wave?
  • Set numbers have some overlap with CM4Sci's Raimi Spider-man related fan sets, sites incorrectly claiming them to be Raimi sets due to this
2 hours ago, Atrius Kain said:

I wonder, could we finally get X Men sets this year? I really hope we do, it is my favorite team...

If we get an X-Men set this year, it'd almost certainly be based on the new X-Men cartoon series they are doing.

16 hours ago, Buckethead said:

Which 2023 projects do you guys think will be in the CMF series? For me, Secret Invasion, and maybe Loki, seem like the only projects from this year to make in the series.

Generally I'd expect Secret Invasion, Loki S2 and What If S2 to be the primary 2023 projects they feature. If they want to represent the others, they can always include Agatha, Echo, Iron Heart and Daredevil based on their prior appearances in other media (WandaVision, Hawkeye, Black Panther 2, She-Hulk).

On 1/7/2023 at 7:15 PM, SEmrys said:

Unrelated, any new thoughts on the Quinjet? I'm planning on selling my Endgame one but I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading.  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_yWpt5Ma4IsLP0QALaq8

I'm still hoping we get a proper UCS Quinjet eventually as to me the Quinjet is dual seated. This new version is nice, but I'd like to see another attempt down the line. Maybe for the AoU Quinket as that design was shown as very spacious and could fit the Hulk (Just about)

avengersfightdetails.jpg