Sign in to follow this  
Keymonus

[OL-FB] Water for the city

"To these constructions, necessary for such huge quantities of water, would you dare to compare the useless pyramids of Tellvok or the works of the Pyrites, as famous as they are unproductive?"

Water, safe and drinkable water, is the lifeblood of a settlement. Wood and building materials can be shipped from a long distance, food and commodities can be imported and stored, but very little can be done about water: without a reliable source of fresh water, a settlement can't survive. When the wells get dry or the river changes its course, when the crops and the livestock begin to die, people can only abandon their houses.

This, fortunately, will never happen to Fort Arltrees. The city, which already received water from the nearby River Rimbaud and the ancient canal system, can now rely also on a modern aqueduct.

Fort Arltrees Aqueduct

Back in the Old World, aqueducts were a point of pride for the Ancient Empire, even more than the majestic temples or the towering statues. Most of the aqueducts were abandoned during the Dark Ages, as only a few far-sighted kings had the knowledge and the resources to keep them working.
For centuries, therefore, people of the Madrician nations had to rely only on wells and rivers, until enlightened monarchs began rebuilding the vital water infrastructures.
In the New World, modern aqueducts are still a rare sight: the one of Fort Alrtrees is only the second, after the one of Mesabi Landing on Alicentia. 

Fort Arltrees Aqueduct

Fort Arltrees Aqueduct connects the settlement with the springs on the King's Hills, crossing several miles of fertile countryside. In the city, it supplies a large number of fountains and drinking throughs, and even more importantly fills some large cisterns: even during a harsh siege, Fort Arltrees will not remain without water.

The war raging in the eastern part of the island, however, couldn't seem more distant: after the military columns left the settlement, life returned to its normal rythms... crops must be sowed or harvested, no matter if a Carnite settlement in the East is besieged!

Fort Arltrees Aqueduct

The ensign of the Rimbaud family decorates the pillars of the arched bridges (actually a small part of the whole aqueduct, but the most impressive one), since the infrastructure was privately funded. Despite the huge interests of the Crown in the city, Fort Arltrees remains in fact a squatter settlement, at least on paper... a strange status, for the actual capital of Oleon colonies in the New Haven Sea region! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall view:

Fort Arltrees Aqueduct

As you may notice, I'm currently forced to work with a small part of my bricks, hence the little monotony of colors in my last builds... however, I'm quite satisfied by the result.
I liked the idea of building something completely new here in BoBS, but apparently @Mesabi had preceded me of a few years... nice aqueduct BTW, somehow I had missed it at the time!

To be licensed as a medium property, even if suggestions for the category would be extremely appreciated!

Spoiler

In Farstrider's Guide to Halos, both the ancient Egypt-like civilization of Tellvok and the Byzantine-like Middle Kingdoms are called Pyros. For the pyramid-makers, this is the very only time the name is used, maybe it could be changed.

Edited by Keymonus

19 hours ago, Keymonus said:

River Rimbaud

Welp, it's cannon now. A fantastic build though. Sensible settlements are built on watercourses, but everyone deserves freshwater. I can see those devious Lotii poisoning this if we're not careful...

1 minute ago, Ross Fisher said:

Welp, it's cannon now.

“A river with no name” started to sound very weird after time! :pir-laugh: Considering that it doesn’t even exist on a map, I considered it fair!

Great diorama! The aqueduct is very beautiful and detailed. :pir-love:On one side I see farmers harvesting, and on the other side a road a farmer with a herd of cattle. Interesting and detailed story.

Very nice idea, this aqueduct !

And well executed.

Despite the lack of bricks, this is a great MOC you've done here.

I will do alike...

Try to do as well with only a part of my bricks !

Nicely done! Aqueducts are not something that we see a lot in the Brick Seas. I like the earthy colors even if it is just a small fraction of your pieces. :thumbup:

Great work with the aqueduct. I have long planned one in Port Woodhouse but it has been lost somewhere on my list of priorities. If I did build one there is a lot here to 'borrow'! Especially the brickwork around the arches - I really like the way you have used blocky brick work on the outside re-enforced with arches in the middle. Nicely done!

On 12/31/2022 at 8:36 AM, Keymonus said:

Fort Arltrees remains in fact a squatter settlement

Actually, I seem to remember Corrington officially acknowledges your settlements on El Oleonda as party of our treaty we signed on Pine Island. I mean if the glorious Empire of Corrington recognises something, surely it must be official right?!?! :pir-laugh:

Thank you, guys! At the moment my gray, white, and tan bricks are largely stored away, but the colors I have at hand fit very well with what I previously built on El Oleonda! I hope to see more aqueducts all over the colonies, it would be nice to see how people can adapt the base design to the style and the colors of the different stllements!

On 1/5/2023 at 9:11 AM, Ayrlego said:

Actually, I seem to remember Corrington officially acknowledges your settlements on El Oleonda as party of our treaty we signed on Pine Island. I mean if the glorious Empire of Corrington recognises something, surely it must be official right?!?! :pir-laugh:

I didn't remember that point of the treaty, and probably, that could count as an "appropriate procedure" for the settlement... but news is slow to reach the corners of the Empires, possibly the governor didn't simply know the new status of Fort Arltrees! :pir-grin: Maybe I could build a MOC with some ceremony in the future...