Redrado

[MOC] Lego Renfe AVE Talgo 102/112 high speed train

Hi everyone!

This is my recreation of the Spanish high speed train Renfe AVE 102 and 112 series, manufactured and designed by the Spanish rolling-stock company Talgo (which they name Talgo 350). The train is nicknamed as "Pato", which literally translates to "Duck" due to its characteristic nose design, which resembles the one of a duck, apparently it highly reduces air noise. About the train, it was introduced into service in 2005 and is currently the star of the Spanish high speed network (soon to be joined by the new generation train Talgo Avril 106 series) with Renfe having 46 units of them, reaching speeds of 360 km/h with an operational speed of 330 km/h. Amazingly, the train weights very little for it's size and, as with every Talgo, it enables low-flow boarding meaning the door is at the height of the floor, without extra stairs needed inside to access the main cabin, making it very accessible thanks to the special single independent bogie design. 

16647-E9-F-5974-46-F5-AB0-D-25-CA7-D073-

ave-tren-renfe-jpg.webp

As of the MOC, it's a minifigure scale recreation and 7 studs wide. The nose was quite a bit of a challenge, but I think the result was pretty accurate to the real thing. The characteristic bogie system by Talgo is quite hard to make in Lego, with the single wheel configuration, so I can't say the way it is on the model will work perfectly, but doesn't seem to have any issues. It is based off Ferro-Friki's version for the Renfe Talgo S130. Hopefully I can build it one day and test it out!

Here some more close-up images of every part:

IMG-6107.jpg

Sin-t-tulo-51.png

Talgo-Renfe-S102-112-Vag-n-Cafeter-a.png

rsz_talgo_renfe_s102112_bogie.jpg.3070234a979742d81ffcd1d9ddcbbe07.jpg

(Ignore this last image, it won't delete)

rsz_talgo_renfe_s102112_tractora.jpg

Edited by Redrado
Updates

Nice work on this high-speed train set. You managed to capture the complicated nose design well. If you do build it, let us know how the Talgo design works out.

What a stunning train! This is such a good recreation. You have no idea how happy it makes me to see more Spanish trains over here, specially the series 102/112, truly Renfe’s flagship train.

The nose looks stunning! It captures the look flawlessly, those bricks built diagonally fit together so satisfyingly, and the way the gray stripe grows thinner at the tip of the head with what I assume to be the use of a bracket piece is brilliant!

By the way, as far as I know, the tractor heads only have one pantograph each, I could be mistaken though, but I’m pretty sure they only need one since the train only runs on AC current.

Also, I have a little issue with the color of this train’s roof (the real-life version). In some pictures it looks gray but in others it looks blue.

2013-06-18_Alicante-a.jpg

For example, in that photograph it’s straight up blue, but in others it looks only sort of blue and sometimes it’s just gray. Maybe it’s reflective and in the right weather conditions it reflects the color of the sky, or maybe each unit has a different shade. Personally, I prefer it in blue, it makes it more colorful and lively.

The funny thing is that I’ve been designing this same train too! (It’s such an irresistible train :wink:). However, I chose to recreate it in the avlo livery.

52594654354_ae530d85cd_c.jpg

This is all I have to show for now. I’m not going to lie, the avlo version is not for everyone’s taste, but flashy unusual Lego colors are one of my greatest weaknesses.

Anyway, I love this train, you’ve done an amazing job! :wub_drool:

10 hours ago, Ferro-Friki said:

What a stunning train! This is such a good recreation. You have no idea how happy it makes me to see more Spanish trains over here, specially the series 102/112, truly Renfe’s flagship train.

The nose looks stunning! It captures the look flawlessly, those bricks built diagonally fit together so satisfyingly, and the way the gray stripe grows thinner at the tip of the head with what I assume to be the use of a bracket piece is brilliant!

By the way, as far as I know, the tractor heads only have one pantograph each, I could be mistaken though, but I’m pretty sure they only need one since the train only runs on AC current.

Also, I have a little issue with the color of this train’s roof (the real-life version). In some pictures it looks gray but in others it looks blue.

For example, in that photograph it’s straight up blue, but in others it looks only sort of blue and sometimes it’s just gray. Maybe it’s reflective and in the right weather conditions it reflects the color of the sky, or maybe each unit has a different shade. Personally, I prefer it in blue, it makes it more colorful and lively.

The funny thing is that I’ve been designing this same train too! (It’s such an irresistible train :wink:). However, I chose to recreate it in the avlo livery.

This is all I have to show for now. I’m not going to lie, the avlo version is not for everyone’s taste, but flashy unusual Lego colors are one of my greatest weaknesses.

Anyway, I love this train, you’ve done an amazing job! :wub_drool:

Thanks for your comments!! The 102 is indeed an irresistible train. What you mention about the gray line getting thinner with the bracket was actually unintentional. The bracket is there to ensure a smooth slope, and then it turns out it could't have had a greater placement!

You're totally right on the pantograph, there's only one. For some reason I assumed there were two of them, will fix it. As of the gray, I prefer it in light gray more than the light blue (also because of the availability of more rare pieces), but I guess that's personal preference, as in blue it looks fine too. 

Those Avlo coaches look amazing! I do like the Avlo livery too by the way, might one day do mine in it. Looking forward to see it finished, will surely look stunning just as your S130. Glad to see another Spanish lego train maker here!!

I realized about some small collision issues, which stud.io didn't notify of (they were very tight). Now they got fixed, so no problem. Will soon update all the renders, also fixed the pantograph as Ferro-Friki pointed out. 

IMG-6108.jpg

Love the design! It almost seems like you've already seen my model as well!

It's so weird that when I started the design process of my model last year, there were next to no one who had built Renfe AVEs.

But now multiple versions are in the making, and I think that's great!

My first "WIP" picture from december last year

51773403287_5c636bce4e_c.jpg

And here is the (somewhat) finished version from september

52392909907_8a0949dc36_c.jpg

But i'll make a seperate thread on it in a moment, so I don't hijack yours ;)

On 1/8/2023 at 9:34 PM, Nikonissen said:

Love the design! It almost seems like you've already seen my model as well!

It's so weird that when I started the design process of my model last year, there were next to no one who had built Renfe AVEs.

But now multiple versions are in the making, and I think that's great!

But i'll make a seperate thread on it in a moment, so I don't hijack yours ;)

Actually I did see yours in the past, which totally inspired me to make mine. Besides that, they don't share much techniques whatsoever, although they have some resemblance (at the end of the day, it's the same train haha). As you say, there's little Talgo Lego models done, so it's great to see more of them around!

A few more detailed images of the nose! Made some slight changes to the light above the cockpit windows too. I may redesign the bottom part of the nose, to make it a bit slimmer, but I’ll see. 

DE9-B8-A5-A-07-BF-4-E33-A41-B-C9634-B203

32-B5-BAAC-C5-E6-432-D-B87-E-485-F8-CC29

On 1/29/2023 at 2:21 PM, Redrado said:

A few more detailed images of the nose! Made some slight changes to the light above the cockpit windows too. I may redesign the bottom part of the nose, to make it a bit slimmer, but I’ll see.

So nice that you are still polishing your model!

I especially like the new headlight over the windscreen.

On 1/29/2023 at 8:04 PM, Aitoruco said:

Great job,i made the 112 ten years ago and yours looks great

AVE-112-7 by Aitor Fernández Martín, on Flickr

I saw a video of this amazing model running in the Railway Museum of Madrid years ago and I still think about it to this day. It’s the first AVE Lego train I ever saw and I’ll never forget it.

By the way, I just have to know, how did you manage to recreate the rodales shared between the middle coaches?

On 1/29/2023 at 8:04 PM, Aitoruco said:

Great job,i made the 112 ten years ago and yours looks great

Thank you! I know all your work, which by the way is awesome! I genuinely love your S100, and your S112 is the first ever in Lego probably. 

Slightly modified again the nose of the 102! This time is the underside of the nose, since before it felt like way too thick, and now made it thinner and more realistic. Hoping to build it pretty soon... 

Talgo-Renfe-S102-112-Tractora-nose.png

I have built it in real bricks! Had to order the hinges in gray due to availability, but will order them in dark gray. The build of the nose was rather complex but it all worked well, and the train is stable enough. As of now I just have the front section, but I might build the rest. 
(PD: it’s not built in Lego bricks, but alternative ones as I had an issue with my BL order and also wanted to try them)

00409317-BD5-C-4427-B09-A-21-E61-D6-A633

C2-AC0-B83-BE79-4006-AFAF-05-DBAAF61589.

DCB3-ECC0-C78-C-4070-8976-72602-B891-A3-

89040-B62-F765-4467-8-B2-A-0072881535-C5

8-B6-F46-CB-31-AB-47-B3-9829-719561910-C

Edited by Redrado

It's even better irl! I love the section built diagonally. Now that I get a closer look, what’s going on exactly with that 1x2 tile with rounded edges? I can’t tell how it is connected with the rest of the body.

Too bad the hinges aren’t in the correct color, dark bluish grey will look even better.

It was great seeing this project evolve, I loved keeping up with every update. We need even more Spanish trains in this forum!

9 hours ago, Ferro-Friki said:

It's even better irl! I love the section built diagonally. Now that I get a closer look, what’s going on exactly with that 1x2 tile with rounded edges? I can’t tell how it is connected with the rest of the body.

Too bad the hinges aren’t in the correct color, dark bluish grey will look even better.

It was great seeing this project evolve, I loved keeping up with every update. We need even more Spanish trains in this forum!

Thanks! We had had a boom of Spanish trains here already, but we indeed need even more. The tile is connected to a 1x1 brick with studs on two adjacent sides, and since the studs are hollow the tile fits right in the middle perfectly. That brick also holds the light gray 2x3 tile with the other stud. 

Edited by Redrado

On 4/25/2023 at 10:46 PM, Ferro-Friki said:

Yes, now it's your turn to build one of your models IRL! :P

You two are part of this big boom. Are you guys members of HispaLUG or another LEGO club established in Spain? It could give you opportunity to exhibit your models in the future, getting to know other LEGO fans from your country and get some inspiration from the experienced builders. Highly recommendable!

The locomotive looks amazing, now the hard part is coming up: Getting the cars assembled and working in curves/switches.

On 4/27/2023 at 4:32 PM, Nikonissen said:

You two are part of this big boom. Are you guys members of HispaLUG or another LEGO club established in Spain? It could give you opportunity to exhibit your models in the future, getting to know other LEGO fans from your country and get some inspiration from the experienced builders. Highly recommendable!

The Spaniard conquista is going full steam ahead! >:)

I have my eyes set on some places, and I’d love to be part of an exhibition someday. But right now, I don’t even have anything physical to show.

Although that should change relatively soon, I really want to build my Avlo, another S-112 to add to the family ;) But it’ll take some time.

On 4/27/2023 at 4:32 PM, Nikonissen said:

The locomotive looks amazing, now the hard part is coming up: Getting the cars assembled and working in curves/switches.

Thanks! And just as Ferro-Friki, I am not entitled to any Spanish LEGO club yet, but once I have something good to show off maybe I will consider it. 

Added the stickers to the built front section, and also did a few more renders (where you can see a few updates). 

IMG-6309.jpg

52861748881-d8f2e68afc-o.png

Also, since the train is the same, did Adif's track and infrastructure testing train "Séneca". Had to make some changes to adapt it to the livery. 

52861304122-854eb622aa-o.png

Edited by Redrado

I was not too happy with the current bogies of the duck, so I redesigned them. This allows me to enlarge the white part towards the bogie, just as the real thing. Also did some minor adjustments to the first coach. 

BDBE6851-2-FD9-4-DB3-B8-EA-6-A82-A0111-E

52897997248-4fa02191b9-o.png

Nice update! I'm very excited about your progress!

Would there be space to replace the bogie with a real motor? Or is it too tight?