Classic_Spaceman

Sonic the Hedgehog - Rumours and Discussion

12 minutes ago, Lemerbrix said:

Is this still happening? We haven't had much updates

It is. 

The sets are coming out in August, it makes sense that we haven't heard much since the theme leaked. Perhaps we'll get some set names next month.

2 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

It is. 

The sets are coming out in August, it makes sense that we haven't heard much since the theme leaked. Perhaps we'll get some set names next month.

We've already got fig leaks from September's Star Wars Advent Calendar, so we might even get more that just names!

Personally, I'm excited just to find out what the heck these sets even are. Did we ever get any clarification about those transparent ball rumors?

On 2/23/2023 at 10:17 PM, Portal Out said:

Personally, I'm excited just to find out what the heck these sets even are. Did we ever get any clarification about those transparent ball rumors?

No not really, just that a fig goes inside and then it goes on a course made from set parts like digifig Mario but presumably with no electronics.

I'm having trouble visualising it, cause they'd need it to do a loop-de-loop wouldn't they? Sonic games always have those, I can't remember if we heard someone say it'd be like city stunts, but of course they have pullback 'motors' which would work with a sphere, perhaps there's a launcher?

But the idea that the spheres fit figs implies there'll be a few options maybe? I'd guess at very least Sonic, Tails and Knuckles... Though shadow reusing the sonic head would be an easy thing for Lego to do as well. Maybe Amy Rose to get a slightly better gender ratio but they might save some of these for a second wave? 

Personally I'd like the sonic trio, the dark trio and Amy rose. But I know Omega hasn't really appeared much recently so he's unlikely, but I might be to brick build a decent one, I'll have to try if end getting a rogue the bat, so that I can complete team dark from doing heroes ( which was pretty much the sonic game from my childhood)

As a huge LEGO fan and Sonic fan I'd just like to clarify: Sonic, Super Sonic, Shadow, and Metal Sonic all have different head/quill shapes and would require different head molds (Sonic has 6 downturned quills, Super Sonic has 6 sharply upturned quills, Shadow has 4 quills that turn down and out and two that curve lightly upward, and Metal has a completely different design with three triangular points out the back). SEGA has never allowed any official merchandise (action figures, plushies, etc) to reuse the same head molds/patterns between those characters, so I doubt they would start now.

The only exception to this is that in the two Sonic Adventure games from 1999 and 2001 Super Sonic's quills were much more similar to Shadow's, but no merch has ever been made of that design and considering that this first wave is seemingly Genesis-based I imagine if we get a Super Sonic it'd be based on that appearance, not Sonic Adventure).

Edited by Retro Brick Reviews

Descriptions of the sets from Lego Minecraft Goat:

76990 Chemical plants: 4 small platforms one of them is a launcher and another has sign post (1• minifigure and 2 enemies)

176991 Desert location includes a plane (I don't have a lot of info about this one)

76992 Green Hills Zone: Includes a launcher, 6 platforms one of them has a loop another has the signpost. The Eggmobile with the wrecking ball is also included. (2 minifigures included, no info on the brick built characters but Robotnik is likely
included)

76993 TBA

76994 (Death egg robot battle) Includes the death egg robot which is similar to the size of the 76248: Hulkbuster: Battle of Wakanda. The mech has a big platform that it can stand on. The set Includes 5 small platforms 5 medium sized ones and 2 big ones one of them has a loop on it (not counting the mech platform). An animal capsule and the launcher is also included. The set has a smaller version of the plane from 76992. (The set includes 3 normal minifigures and I dont know about thebuildable characters).

Interesting descriptions. I imagine the "desert" will be Mirage Saloon (it's the only desert level the Tornado appears in), and I'm curious what the $60 set will turn out to be (my money's on Stardust Speedway). 

Odd that they use the word "platforms", considering the ball gimmick I imagine they'll be fully modular segments rather than individualized platforms like the Mario sets.

It's a little disappointing that from this it seems the first wave is exclusively based on the Genesis games, but it does make sense. Not only does that make this first wave more cohesive with the Ideas set, but also because the majority of molds for Genesis characters could be reused for their modern counterparts, whereas the same doesn't go in reverse with the much larger modern cast.

38 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Interesting descriptions. I imagine the "desert" will be Mirage Saloon (it's the only desert level the Tornado appears in)

Hope so too, it'd be nice to actually get a mania set

39 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

It's a little disappointing that from this it seems the first wave is exclusively based on the Genesis games, but it does make sense. Not only does that make this first wave more cohesive with the Ideas set, but also because the majority of molds for Genesis characters could be reused for their modern counterparts, whereas the same doesn't go in reverse with the much larger modern cast.

I believe generally the trend with sonic merch nowadays is they do the classic characters first then expand  into the modern cast. I prefer the classic designs so I'm happy but I'm sure they'll do the modern cast soon enough, it would just make sense to have a set with shadow out next year

7 minutes ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

Hope so too, it'd be nice to actually get a mania set

I believe generally the trend with sonic merch nowadays is they do the classic characters first then expand  into the modern cast. I prefer the classic designs so I'm happy but I'm sure they'll do the modern cast soon enough, it would just make sense to have a set with shadow out next year

That's fair, I know it was that way with TOMY's line for rights reasons but I forgot that the Jakks Sonic merch was also classic-only for the first six months. I suppose it's seen as the more generally popular version to test the waters of a toyline with (similar to how new Star Wars merch lines usually focus on the Original Trilogy at first).

It's worth noting that a lot of Sonic merch uses locations from the classic games but with the modern characters. Jakks Pacific had a Green Hill playset a few years ago for example but with a Modern Sonic figure. The modern cast are probably a bit easier to market towards younger audiences too. 

With that in mind, I personally expect modern characters. The Ideas set would continue to have exclusive Sonic and Eggman variants as well. I also can't see them not having Shadow as a selling point in a larger set.

3 minutes ago, Willsy said:

It's worth noting that a lot of Sonic merch uses locations from the classic games but with the modern characters. Jakks Pacific had a Green Hill playset a few years ago for example but with a Modern Sonic figure. The modern cast are probably a bit easier to market towards younger audiences too. 

With that in mind, I personally expect modern characters. The Ideas set would continue to have exclusive Sonic and Eggman variants as well. I also can't see them not having Shadow as a selling point in a larger set.

I'm still assuming classic characters, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Sega has ever okayed any merch with modern sonic and the death egg robot

41 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

That's fair, I know it was that way with TOMY's line for rights reasons but I forgot that the Jakks Sonic merch was also classic-only for the first six months. I suppose it's seen as the more generally popular version to test the waters of a toyline with (similar to how new Star Wars merch lines usually focus on the Original Trilogy at first).

Yeah, that's a good point of comparison 

Aha, about time we start to get rumors. I'm still not sure about the launcher gimmick but I am happy that there are things here which should have been the "Mania-based" Ideas set, like the Death Egg Robot and animal capsule. Tails is basically confirmed as well with the Tornado getting a set.

I'm glad that they seem to be basing the locations off of the 2D games, especially if the Tornado set does take some influence from Mirage Saloon. Stardust Speedway, Studiopolis, or Sky Sanctuary would all be great for the missing set. I don't really have a preference between the classic and modern designs for a first wave, especially because it seems like minifigures are (as expected) a bit limited, so it wouldn't surprise me if the final line-up is only four or five characters but that's okay for a first wave where everyone needs a unique head mold and fancy legs. I just hope that however they depict Robotnik he is a little bit more refined than in the Ideas set. I'd like it if he was also a minifigure with a torso similar to Hagrid, but it sounds like he may still be brick-built going by the descriptions here. Hard to say if that's just an assumption though.

Edited by SoupOrFishOil

45 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

This was apparently an April Fool's prank... on March 31st :hmpf:

I'm confused about this! Like I'm not even mad, or anything, I just don't get it. Is doing April 1st in March 31st a cultural thing I'm too european to understand or is it like a new thing?

Just now, PGBQW said:

I'm confused about this! Like I'm not even mad, or anything, I just don't get it. Is doing April 1st in March 31st a cultural thing I'm too european to understand or is it like a new thing?

Not from my part of Europe or anywhere else I know of. I think it was so more people would 'fall' for it but it's basically a straight up deception, IMO the best pranks are the ones that ares amusing for both parties.

4 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Not from my part of Europe or anywhere else I know of. I think it was so more people would 'fall' for it but it's basically a straight up deception, IMO the best pranks are the ones that ares amusing for both parties.

Agreed on that. Ironically enough the Sonic series also put out their April Fool's joke today... which is a hilarious visual novel that's been the highlight of my day.

5 hours ago, CodFather1 said:

I'm so sorry, I had no clue. I feel like such an idiot :laugh:

I think the only person who could be described as that is the one who does an April Fool's day joke in March. Bizarrely it's not even amusing, and benefits no one. What a shame.

According to FluffySky6 (the guy who leaked all the upcoming Star Wars prequel sets), the Sonic sets are going to include minifgs of Sonic and Tails (duh) as well as a large molded figure for Robotnik. No word on what era they're based on or if there will be multiple, but regardless I expect Robotnik to appear in the $50 and/or $100 sets, due to the poor price per piece in comparison to the other sets.

These are fantastic, even the gimmick sets. I'm shocked. 

Tails' Workshop is probably my favourite, though we're still yet to see full pictures of the Death Egg Robot set. 

These look pretty great, better than expected to be honest.

37 minutes ago, Hoth Rebel said:

Amy, Tails and Eggman all look great! Really hoped for Knuckles, but I’ll take these anyday. 

I thought this wasn't all the sets? And so he's probably in one of the others?

31 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

I thought this wasn't all the sets? And so he's probably in one of the others?

We're missing the Death Egg Robot which appeared in the teaser, so perhaps Knuckles could show up there (unless that set has been cancelled). 

2 hours ago, samsz_3 said:

Leaked images on Instagram 

That’s the official reveal, not a leak :tongue:

I like what I’m seeing, even though I’m not much of a Sonic fan. Wonder if Knuckles is in the final set! The minifig selection isn’t exactly varied, otherwise :laugh:

€105 for the Eggman set is outrageous though. It can't even see 800+ pieces. The other set prices are also fairly high so I will wait for it to be discounted.. Just hope it isn't a LEGO store exclusive.