Teddy

Presenting my current WIP: HMS Victory

UUUUUUUUUHHHH that's Huge and ... looks so .. so .. perfect! I want to see the final result, GO BACK TO WORK ! BUILD MORE ! :tongue:

MASSIVE and INSANELY beautifull ! And how much would it cost again to build one of this huge scale???

Are you going to include the entire original crew??

I wish I had the technical knowledge to start such enterprise, I sure do have the time for it.... But I just wouldnt know how to start!

Oh very nice indeed Teddy. And to think you do the interior as well, good thing to read that you are going to have lift-off sections so that it's possible to look inside. I think this model will be worth a trip to the Netherlands :) I'm looking forward to more updates, and I'm still trying to figure out how you have fitted the hull together in the rear but then again, even the shipbuilders of that age had their secrets ;)

How many people crewed the ship irl? Just checking to see how many minifigs you have to get your hands on... best of luck, I'll be checking in on the thread to watch the progress.

Oh very nice indeed Teddy. And to think you do the interior as well, good thing to read that you are going to have lift-off sections so that it's possible to look inside. I think this model will be worth a trip to the Netherlands :) I'm looking forward to more updates, and I'm still trying to figure out how you have fitted the hull together in the rear but then again, even the shipbuilders of that age had their secrets ;)

How many people crewed the ship irl? Just checking to see how many minifigs you have to get your hands on... best of luck, I'll be checking in on the thread to watch the progress.

Cakeman - The Victory was crewed by 850 men plus officers.

Teddy - Are you amember of any LUG that you will be bable to display thi beauty at? Or you could probably have an exhibition of yourwn with that thing!

Dear all,

thanks for all the cool comments and replies! :pir_laugh2:

It's really rewarding to build something and receive so much positive encouragement and feedback!

I have been really busy lately so I haven't found the time to do creative work on the ship.

The little time I did have I spend working a bit on my castle design..here

(I'm so sorry, I know it is the pirates forum.... please don't kill me... :pir-cry_sad: )

I'm not a member of a LUG, actually my only lego exposure is right here on EB.

Mainly because I like the supportive atmosphere. :pir-classic:

Kind regards,

Teddy

Edited by Teddy

That is one amazing hull, i can't imagine how it was done, how long it took, or how many pieces, truly an accurate model so far. Well except of the absence of the copper flashing on the hull, but you can't get nit pickey with a model like that.

You are a master of bricks, this is just an amazing project. I love the hold very cool. It would have been nice if lego had made better looking barrel tops.

stern 1:

04-07-08_2036nr2.jpg

stern 2:

05-08-08_1405nr2.jpg

side view stern 2:

30-07-08_0952nr2.jpg

Dear all,

after some considerations I redesigned the stern the beginning of Oktober.

I tried to make the transition of "stud directions" as smooth as possible.

Any feedback is appriciated.

Kind regards,

Teddy

New stern:

07-10-08_0958nr2.jpg

07-10-08_0959nr2.jpg

Edited by Teddy

You can tell there is something going on there, but who am I to complain? That and CGH's ship are without doubt the coolest brick built hulled ships there are. How have you not got an expert MOCer tag yet?

Edited by Captain Zuloo

Wow that's amazing! If you have the Boxed Set of the A&E version of Horatio Hornblower (the one with Ioan Gruffod) one of the dvds has a special about HMS Victory where they give you a walking tour of the ship, and you really nailed the ballast/barrels in the hold of the lower foredeck. Keep it up!

Dear all,

thanks for all the nice comments on my HMS Victory MOC. :pir-classic:

Currently, i've started work on the orlop deck.

The orlop deck will be able to lift out of the current hold.

The other decks on top will be three seperate detachable modules.

I have some ideas for planking, but I'm not fully satisfied so currently I'm sticking with tan.

The test versions I've attached below the photos of the current state of the MOC.

Any feedback or comments are more than welcome.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Current state of the MOC:

22-12-08_1234nr2.jpg

close up of first part of the orlop:

24-12-08_1247nr2.jpg

Ideas for planking (different colors: tan, dark tan, old light grey):

02-10-08_2354nr2.jpg

03-10-08_0004nr2.jpg

Edited by Teddy

One word Teddy... Amazing !!!

And like most of the members... we can't wait to see the finished product... :pir-wink::pir-laugh:

But about the ideas for planking... I would go only for tan, dark tan and no old light grey.

Keep on building Teddy,

Kurt

One word Teddy... Amazing !!!

And like most of the members... we can't wait to see the finished product... :pir-wink::pir-laugh:

But about the ideas for planking... I would go only for tan, dark tan and no old light grey.

Keep on building Teddy,

Kurt

Dear Kurt,

thanks for your reply. I've been ordering and collecting bricks for the HMS Victory the last couple of months.

Actually, I've doubled the number of brown bricks in the ship, although that doesn't show on the photos.

The ship itself however is a whole lot sturdier than four months ago and can even be lifted by hand as a whole.

Currently, I have a large stack of tan tiles, but I'm still waiting for an order of 1x4 tiles. I hope to make some

progress during the Christmas days. I have a nice building plan of the planking on the decks, so I'm trying to make the planking as

close to original as possible.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Dude....the interior till now is already stunning!! The barrels and the wooden looks the whole hold has.

Just awesome!

Can't wait till the next update!

Dear Kurt, thanks for your reply.

NP Teddy... :pir-wink::pir-laugh:

I've been ordering and collecting bricks for the HMS Victory the last couple of months. Actually, I've doubled the number of brown bricks in the ship, although that doesn't show on the photos.

I got an idea... take some new photos for us all... as a x-mas gift... :pir-laugh::pir-wink:

Wowza! :wub:

I'm guessing it's too expensive to put cheese on the hull, instead of 1x1 tiles?

Are you using the Ultimate Cross Sections book, by any chance?

Quick question, how was the ballast used in ships of the time. Did it help prevent capsizing?

Yup, it lowered the centre of gravity of the ship, so it could lean further without capsizing. It was mainly used when the hull was empty, as there was no weight from cargo. It did cause problems though, as it provided a home for rats, and bilge water could collect in it, causing disease.

Wowza! :wub:

I'm guessing it's too expensive to put cheese on the hull, instead of 1x1 tiles?

Are you using the Ultimate Cross Sections book, by any chance?

Yup, it lowered the centre of gravity of the ship, so it could lean further without capsizing. It was mainly used when the hull was empty, as there was no weight from cargo. It did cause problems though, as it provided a home for rats, and bilge water could collect in it, causing disease.

Hi Slyowl!,

you're right about the ballast, although they did shuffle it around for weight trimming during sailing. :pir-tongue:

I conciously did not use cheese slopes since I wanted the curves to be equally smooth in every cross section.

Since I find this gives a more pleasing effect on the eye. But that is just personal ofcourse. :pir-classic:

Kind regards,

Teddy

Dear all,

after being extremely busy for the last couple of weeks, I finally found some time to work on the HMS Victory.

I've updated the orlop. The new commander is standing on the spot were Nelson died.

So now I will try to catch up with all the new posts on the Forum. :pir_laugh2:

Kind regards,

Teddy

General overview:

17-02-09_1623nr2.jpg

The commander stands on the spot were Nelson died:

17-02-09_1624nr2.jpg