Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[GOC] Chinampa on Lake Myzec

Chinampas, or 'floating islands' are one of the most well known Myzec agricultural practices. These rectangular artificial islands of arable land  are created by by interweaving reeds with stakes beneath the water surface in the shallow waters of a freshwater lake. Then layers of soil and aquatic vegetation were built on top until a layer of soil was visible on the water's surface. With excellent irrigation and abundance of available nutrients, chinampas produce high yields of maize and other crops such as beans, squash, chillis and avocados. Willow trees were planted in the corners of the plots to bind the soil into the lake's bottom over time. The lakes also provided protein in the form of fish and water fowl. The extensive chinampas of Lake Myzec had fallen into decline over the last few centuries as Myzectlan itself declined. Now with Myzectlan opened up again to the outside world under the Corlander protectorship, sustained efforts are underway to bring the chinampa system back to full production. Many long abandoned and neglected plots are being brought back to production with their walls being repaired and canals dredged. Here a small plot is being worked by an extended family while a fisherman and hunter can be seen on a passing canoe.

52574299771_a460bea9f5_c.jpg

An entry into the farmstead figures category of the Brickscalibur contest on Discord. Also a GOC build for the Daily Life of the Myzec task. Will be licensed as a small plantation for Corrington. Chinampa wall design modified slightly from @Elostirion 's chinampa build linked in the text above. Elos was kind enough to share the technique when he posted his build and I have wanted to do a chinampa ever since. I actually have a large digital one half completed in my digital graveyard archive which I may or may not finish one of these days!

I like how the floating islands were built. The chosen minifigures go well with the Myzectlan.

Great job on the island, the row of tiles and poles looks perfect and makes it easy to recognize as a chinampa!  Great variety and at the same time similarity between the figs too.

Great job! Very cool to read about these on Wikipedia. Love the inclusion of the broken rb tiles.

:thumbup: from me for GoC

The build turned out great! The canoe is nice, and that is a great use for broken brown tiles. Also, I think that you nailed the minifigures as well.  

:thumbup: from me.