Polarlicht

How to fit long trains on small layout

I will soon (once the tables arrive) have a small layout of 3,60m x 1,80m (9x Ikea Linnmon 120cm x 60cm tables) and plan on running 2 major loops around with a ship port to the right side.

I have quite a few long trains: 3m cargo train, Santa fe two A and one B unit and full set of passenger cars, 2022 passenger train double, Horizon express double, 3m non-Lego steam train with passenger cars, Metroliner double, and smaller things

Quite a few things of rolling stock.

I would like to have everything parked on the layout, on the top yard, but everything seems cramped and some trains barely fit. I want to use the space more. Is there a trick to do this?

ccslY83.png

My layout is pretty similar in its dimensions as yours. Maybe you find it inspiring...

• I used two "TrixBrix compact corners" and enhanced them a bit with additional "R40 Curved 45deg switches" into a rail-yard.
  • Bottom curves are R56 (inner) and R72 (outer).
  • The very top rail has R88 curves.
  • Single-crossover switches are R104.
  • All parts are TrixBrix.

my_track.png

Yeah, i will use the R40 90° switches as well, but every train needs to be accesable from the front of the tables (bottom in my picture) because everything is infront of a room wall, also with walls on the side. It fits a corner in my room.