Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[COR-FB] Grenadier's Forge, Port Woodhouse

In the Port Woodhouse barracks, a newly arrived regiment of Grenadiers marches past a military forge. This unit still wears the old style mitre caps, cleaving to tradition rather than switching to the more fashionable bearskin shakos being adapted by other Corrie Grenadiers. The small military forge produces metal work for the garrison units, from grenade casings to belt buckles and any minor repairs. Like many Corlander military buildings in the colonies, it is fortified to provide settlement defence in depth. 

52567063698_992d1fe3b7_b.jpg

To be licensed as a medium factory for Port Woodhouse. This started as a Seawatch backdrop build but evolved into a full scale Port Woodhouse build mainly to showcase the new AE grenadier caps. I was very much looking forward to these caps but was a little disappointed when I got them - can't really say why - probably the proportions - they were bigger than I expected. Anyway in the last week they have really grown on me, so they will probably make repeat appearances!! Also loving the Swiss guard torso and legs for Corrington. Black and red - what is not to like?!!!

PS Oh, the use of the Bith musicians heads as sacks is not my genius idea... Credit to Barthezz Brick - Tutorial on their Instagram.

Very nice military forge with fortified. The grenadiers look great. I'm amazed at the build quality and detail of the minifigures, weapons and gear.

5 hours ago, AlexanderDuval said:

That's an awesome build! How difficult was it to get some large clay pots? Are those from the doll line that LEGO did back in the day?

Thanks! Yeah the pots are from the Scala line. Two parts the vase (6995) and flowerpot (33008). I first saw them used by Jonas Wide (Gideon) many years ago and have wanted some since. I can only find them available in Europe and put off ordering any until earlier this year when I randomly found a vase in New Zealand. This motivated me to finally order some flower pots and more vases from France so that I now have a total of 4 sets. They appear to becoming harder to find.

Another nice moc! The big pots look great and since we do not see them very often, they are great and interesting addition. I also like the tree and flowers.

What i really like is your use of yellowed bricks! I wish i had some. Since i left my dark ages only few years ago i have no yellowed bricks. Might have to "produce" them with the help of the sun or so... :laugh: The yellowed bricks really add that special something to the building (and your other mocs).

@Yperio_Bricks I actually tried to yellow some of the new masonry profile white bricks. No success. I left two bricks on my kitchen window sill for six months. The window is north facing and gets fierce (Australian) sun all day everyday. I think they must have 'fixed' the plastic formula since the 1980's because not even the slighest discolouration is visible!!

Excellent build Aylego, I agree as to the rest that the Scala pots look superb here. I like the usage of car wheel wells over the windows, I think they really add to the texturing here.  The tree in the background looks great, and you can really appreciate all of the detailing you've put in. I love the tower part of the build, the use of the technic 'x' bricks gives it a proper military feel. Additionally, the use of the curved window frames looks great, and I didn't realize they'd look that good when used like that. I'll have to borrow that sometime! 

Now this is the student lecturing the master, :pir-look: but I think the right support of the wooden awning looks too long with how you did the basing. I think if you extended the tan base out just a few more studs, and had them the same length, it would look a hair better. 

Another slightly negative thought of mine, is that the building's exterior doesn't make me feel like it's more of a forge, than any other building. It's a great build, but if you took the guards off of the tower, I could just as easily see it being a bakery, potters, or similar building.

But again, none of the build looks bad whatsoever. The colour, the form, and the presentation are all perfect. All together it looks excellent, and is another testament to your skill. 

On 12/16/2022 at 9:51 PM, Ayrlego said:

@Yperio_Bricks I actually tried to yellow some of the new masonry profile white bricks. No success. I left two bricks on my kitchen window sill for six months. The window is north facing and gets fierce (Australian) sun all day everyday. I think they must have 'fixed' the plastic formula since the 1980's because not even the slighest discolouration is visible!!

:pir-grin: :pir-laugh: :pir_laugh2: The hard labor our hobby enthusiasts must endure in every possible place of earth!!!

Beautiful MOC indeed!

Those hats are really something else!  Quite eye catching.  Lovely tree too and overall a great build.

On 12/16/2022 at 8:51 PM, Ayrlego said:

Maybe the window glas filters some of the light? On the other hand, the bricks i had as a kid got yellow inside the house :laugh: Maybe i try it in the summer outside on the balcony. It would be nice to have some yellowed bricks with colors between white and the Lego light yellow. If it does not work i'll have to buy some eventually.

Wonderful build with lovely details others have mentioned!

I wonder if the grenadiers would look more "Lego" if they had yellow heads. Right now, they appear very "off-brand" with the fleshy heads.