Toastie

BrickShelf image deep linking - I am an idiot! It was me.

Hello moderators,

here is to you: :pir-huzzah2: - first things first!

Is it me (most probably the case): When I insert deep links from BrickShelf, the images stored there used to materialize in the post as images. This is currently not the case, only links are inserted.

It also appears as if deep-linked BrickShelf hosted images in older posts are not shown as images anymore; they are replaced by links (that do work).

Is this intentional?

EDIT: That is totally wrong: It wasn't Eurobricks, it wasn't BrickShelf, it was my very own stupidity: I am using "Privacy Badger" as Plugin for Firefox to get rid of unknown tracking activities. Fine when I am getting tracked, but I'd like to know. This worked for years with EB. All of a sudden (about weeks ago - maybe after an automatic update), it appears as if deep-linking from BrickSelf was judged as tracking. I put BrickSelf on a white list - and all images in old post are back: What I was seeing in the EB post editor (also when dbl clicking on the link) was just the image name - no link anymore. And that link was - I believe - removed on the fly when browsing - by Privacy Badger. 

@Jim I sincerely apologize for pestering you and being rude. I truly hope you accept this apology. I was "shocked" when I saw your post with the images ... and that then meant it could only be me ...

With regard to deeplinking from BrickShelf: Works flawlessly, as before - after I put BrickShelf explicitly on the white list.

Sorry folks for creating such a mess.   

With very best regards,
Thorsten

P.S.: Changed title accordingly

Edited by Toastie

57 minutes ago, Toastie said:

Hello moderators,

here is to you: :pir-huzzah2: - first things first!

Is it me (most probably the case): When I insert deep links from BrickShelf, the images stored there used to materialize in the post as images. This is currently not the case, only links are inserted.

It also appears as if deep-linked BrickShelf hosted images in older posts are not shown as images anymore; they are replaced by links (that do work).

Is this intentional?

Best,
Thorsten

Sounds like Brickshelf is having issues, again, not EB. I hope this is only temporary, as too much of our collective history was lost when MOCpages went downhill, and then kaput. I honestly don't want to even *think* about Brickshelf going away someday...

49 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

Sounds like Brickshelf is having issues, again, not EB.

Thank you very much for the update, appreciate that!

All the best,
Thorsten

Hello moderators! @Jim (Just trying to get some attention here, sorry!)

Well, this issue of corrupt BrickShelf deep-linking (as so often advertised here) is obscuring basically all of my posts, as I am using BrickShelf as image repository.

These are now gone in all of my posts - and were replaced with just the image name - no link anymore.

This is really annoying, as there was no announcement at all that BrickShelf would go down in flames. Or is this related to some updates on EB?

Well, it is much more than annoying, as all my posts with images have become corrupt.

Maybe my fault using that old machine; but if so, I am out of here.

See first post, the above is all not true.

Best, Thorsten.

Edited by Toastie

19 hours ago, Toastie said:

Hello moderators! @Jim (Just trying to get some attention here, sorry!)

Well, this issue of corrupt BrickShelf deep-linking (as so often advertised here) is obscuring basically all of my posts, as I am using BrickShelf as image repository.

These are now gone in all of my posts - and were replaced with just the image name - no link anymore.

This is really annoying, as there was no announcement at all that BrickShelf would go down in flames. Or is this related to some updates on EB?

If Brickshelf doesn't serve the images, you won't see them on EB obviously. Not sure what you want me to do about an exernal image hosting service. It's definitely not EB related.

I recommend switching to a more modern service like BrickSafe (which is free) or Flickr.

19 hours ago, Toastie said:

Well, it is much more than annoying, as all my posts with images have become corrupt.

Maybe my fault using that old machine; but if so, I am out of here.

Best, Thorsten.

I sure hope you are not leaving EB because of problems originating at Brickshelf.

20 hours ago, Jim said:

If Brickshelf doesn't serve the images

Hi @Jim

oh, they do serve the images: tis_1978.jpg

Issue 1:

The link above is a deep-linked image. You click on it and the image appears. In the past (maybe a week or two ago), after c/p'ing the link, the picture showed up in the EB editor window, as well as in the final post and could be resized etc. That is not happening anymore, the question is why?

Is this a BrickShelf issue? When is an image link embedded as image and when just shown as hyperlink on EB? Does the server (BrickShelf) need to provide a special service to make the image materialize on EB? Or is there a procedure to make that happen?

EDIT: Issue 1 was entirely my fault, see above

Issue 2

More importantly and much more annoying: In my older posts, the deep links (pointing to existing BrickShelf images, I checked) are now replaced just by the image name I gave it on BrickShelf. The entire link is gone, see for example here:

When I edit that post and dblclick on any of the picture.jpg name, there is just the name, not the link anymore. So you can't even click on it to show the picture. No folder was changed on BrickShelf, nor did I delete the images, they are all there.

I don't believe that BrickShelf has removed the links, did they?

EDIT: Issue 2 was entirely my fault, see above

Best,
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

When I open your topic, I do see all the images. Not sure if I understand what you mean. You don't see the images?

Like so

Edit: Or are you talking about the editor instead of the post?

Screenshot 2022-12-17 185314.jpg

On 12/15/2022 at 10:42 PM, Toastie said:

That is totally wrong: It wasn't Eurobricks, it wasn't BrickShelf, it was my very own stupidity: I am using "Privacy Badger" as Plugin for Firefox to get rid of unknown tracking activities. 

Funny thing is that my next question would have been "Do you have certain firewall settings in place?", so I guess I was close :laugh:

On 12/15/2022 at 10:42 PM, Toastie said:

@Jim I sincerely apologize for pestering you and being rude. I truly hope you accept this apology. I was "shocked" when I saw your post with the images ... and that then meant it could only be me ...

No worries mate. Glad you found the issue. And nice to have you back :tongue: :laugh: (or glad we didn't lose you)

Just now, Jim said:

Funny thing is that my next question would have been "Do you have certain firewall settings in place?", so I guess I was close :laugh:

Man, I feel so bad. Really. The moment I saw your screenshot, my face turned deep red, I became sweaty - and thought to myself: It is all my fault, I am sure of it. 2 minutes later, that was fixed.

Sorry again for bothering you and wasting your time. Yes you were damned close ...

Best wishes,
Thorsten

P.S.: I am cleaning up the mess in this thread as good as I can. 

14 minutes ago, Toastie said:

P.S.: I am cleaning up the mess in this thread as good as I can. 

No need to clean up. I like the new title. That's sufficient :laugh: