pow

[WIP] Building an 8880 Replica

Did you know Bens compact gearbox? (https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-6824/MrWoo/unusual-and-compact-5r-gearbox/#parts)

400x296.JPG

it builds up to high for 8880 but it inspired me to this idea for a gear lever:

400x370.png

this should be as flat as possible. and if the whole gear box is build tight enough the (dbg colored) driving ring will press from underneath against the round plate modified (in dark turquoise) preventing it to slip off the bar.

i have the strong feeling, this really could work. but if the dark turquoise plate modified rotates on the bar, than that could block the whole mechanism. ...so a lot of issues with that.

i definitely try to build it and may be find a better solution while building. :laugh:

14 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Sorry to be the one to tell you, but the part you are using the gearbox arm can't fit in the thin liftarms.

Did i get you wrong? the dark bluish gray part (24122)...

250x250p.jpg?1658345233.9726055

...won't rotate within the liftarm? Because Ben is utilizes it the same way in his approach.

...After checking some (not all) TLG sets using this piece. They only use it to stick other parts into the holes of 24122.

Best wishes

3 hours ago, pow said:

i have the strong feeling, this really could work. but if the dark turquoise plate modified rotates on the bar, than that could block the whole mechanism. ...so a lot of issues with that.

i definitely try to build it and may be find a better solution while building. :laugh:

Did i get you wrong? the dark bluish gray part (24122)...

...won't rotate within the liftarm? Because Ben is utilizes it the same way in his approach.

...After checking some (not all) TLG sets using this piece. They only use it to stick other parts into the holes of 24122.

Best wishes

Yeah, he's right. I've got one in my hands now, and it won't go into the pinhole.
Perhaps you could use one of these instead, with one of the new friction stud-pins inside it:
27940.png

What about using this kind of setup for the transmission? Six speed, with a center pivot for the gear selector. It uses a half stud drop for the center gears so the selector can catch all three changeovers.

16495298355_cf9a3fe8a7_b.jpg

6 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

What about using this kind of setup for the transmission? Six speed, with a center pivot for the gear selector. It uses a half stud drop for the center gears so the selector can catch all three changeovers.

How much speeds has the original 8880?
And I think it also has 4 wheel steering. Don't know about 4wd..

Edited by Aleh

Thanks @2GodBDGlory for testing. 24122 has smaller sidearms. Is it 2 bricks wide? Not sure.

27940, the part you mentioned is a very good alternative but it is 3 bricks wide and so interferes with the steer train next to the gear lever.

400x300.png

@Thirdwigg nice drive train! The diff at the back is pretty unusual. I can imagine you did this not just for fun?! I wasn't able to find the particular model on your rebrickable page because it seems you are a very productive person with a high model output. ;)
The gear lever you are using in your drive train, is it similar two this one...

640x451.png

?

DrJB also pointed on that solution. Thanks again for this. :)

It is my plan B ...or maybe C. I try to be as original as possible. Ant the old Lady has a gear shifter that rotates around a point. But... this is really just an excuse:wink:, because the steering linkage is in the way (see photo above) and I will have to rebuild the complete steering. :hmpf_bad:

16 hours ago, Aleh said:

How much speeds has the original 8880?
And I think it also has 4 wheel steering. Don't know about 4wd..

12 hours ago, m2fel said:

8880 has a 4 speed gearbox and 4WD

Yup, 4x4x4 4 wheels all driven and steered.

All your comments help a lot. Really appreciate your help. It motivates me enormously.

Best wishes, keep safe.:pir_laugh2:

Edited by pow

31 minutes ago, pow said:

Thanks @2GodBDGlory for testing. 24122 has smaller sidearms. Is it 2 bricks wide? Not sure.

27940, the part you mentioned is a very good alternative but it is 3 bricks wide and so interferes with the steer train next to the gear lever.

Yeah, 24122 is only two studs wide, so it would be great there, but alas, it doesn't work that way. Unfortunate that 27940 is too wide for that. I wonder what other options there are. :sceptic:

EDIT: Have you thought about using this part, 53585, with the through axle hole? It can have a lot of uses for this type of thing.

53585.png

Edited by 2GodBDGlory

21 hours ago, pow said:

The gear lever you are using in your drive train, is it similar two this one...

I believe the gear lever on this one is just sliding left/right on the axle, not tilting. Which is the simple solution and is easily buildable with modern parts for 4 speeds. Have you considered that?

@pow the drivetrain is from the ATS. It's a six speed transmission with a center gearlever pivot. It uses part 6641 for the changeover, but it does not slide on an axle like in set 8466 or 8448, it pivots fore and aft, and side to side on a mount much like a LEGO joystick.

On 1/26/2023 at 3:15 AM, 2GodBDGlory said:

Have you thought about using this part, 53585, with the through axle hole? It can have a lot of uses for this type of thing.

Yes i did. The way i would use it is sandwiched between two thin fixed liftarms. Something like this:

640x514.png

(just a quick mockup)

3 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

I believe the gear lever on this one is just sliding left/right on the axle, not tilting. Which is the simple solution and is easily buildable with modern parts for 4 speeds. Have you considered that?

No i haven't. I'm focused on rotating solutions at the moment. It's pretty clever to be honest. I will do a quick mock up soon, just to get a feeling for the size.

1 hour ago, Thirdwigg said:

@pow the drivetrain is from the ATS. It's a six speed transmission with a center gearlever pivot. It uses part 6641 for the changeover, but it does not slide on an axle like in set 8466 or 8448, it pivots fore and aft, and side to side on a mount much like a LEGO joystick.

That is a very well developed car. I will try to adapt that gear lever to the small space the old lady has to offer.

34 minutes ago, pow said:

Maybe it is that simple...

Might work! Unless you wanted to have a longer lever (with a higher pivot) to get more travel for the shifter

2 hours ago, pow said:

Something like this:

I'm afraid, this will fall aparat

5 hours ago, pow said:

Maybe it is that simple...

I have checked that in a virtual build but it's not that good, it does not quite reach the the two driving rings when tilted. It would need to be lowered 1/4 stud to be good, but that's not really possible.

5 hours ago, pow said:

No i haven't. I'm focused on rotating solutions at the moment. It's pretty clever to be honest. I will do a quick mock up soon, just to get a feeling for the size.

Though I am afraid that it would be pretty hard to integrate into that studful build. I was thinking in a studless redesign, did not remember that you wanted to keep it mostly as it is.. It's going to be hard to replace that special part without significant redesign, especially because of the routing of the HoG steering being in the way for everything else.

Ok :sadnew:, i will see if it's possible to build a multi linkage virtual pivot solution thingy.

Never give up! Until you give up! :pir-sweet: