Sign in to follow this  
zinnn

Open sesame - how to build a cave opening

Working on a cave MOC and I want to be able to open the main entrance with a axle bar, this is what I have so far (with the elements of the mechanism listed below):

w9TkGQw.png

At the moment I thought of using part Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular 3L with 2 Pin Holes and a Technic, Pin with Friction Ridges and Tow Ball with Round Pin Hole - the tow ball is to make sure the 'wall' bit is not getting scratched too much during opening. Do you think this should work? I don't have the pieces for it yet, about to place a Bricklink order soon, but wanted to see if anyone has some experience here?

Edited by zinnn

I am sure there are many other options and the one you show should work fine but instead of the black technic part you could use the cam piece, might make for smoother operation. Or even one of the newer technic 2x3 curved panel extenders. 

Not sure, but wouldn't this require more force than if you had the handle attached to the axle of the door directly?

Another option is to use lift-arms and attach them to the door. That way you are sure that if you turn the lever back, the door really closes and cannot be stuck due to friction