Bob De Quatre

Classic Space Era Spaceship Contest

52545249783_78e0551fa4_c.jpg

In celebration of LEGO's 90th anniversary and the release of 10497 Galaxy Explorer, let's get back to a time where Lego actually cared about the in-house sci-fi themes!

Contest Category

For this contest, there will be only one and only category: Build a spaceship!

But to add some  fun  challenge, entries will have to respect some rules:

• Entry must be a spaceship
  • The spaceship must have it's longest dimension comprised between 20 and 40 studs.
  • The spaceship must house a secondary vehicle (a rover, a small spaceship, etc...)
  • The spaceship's cockpit must have space for at least one minifigure.
  • The spaceship must respect the colorscheme of one of the following theme:
    • Classic Space
    • Futuron
    • Blacktron
    • Space Police
    • M-Tron
    • Blacktron 2
    • Space Police 2
    • Ice Planet 2002
    • Spyrius
  • Light bluish grey can be used instead of light grey
  • Use only Lego parts, no third party or custom parts.

How to Enter

To enter, post a new topic in the Sci-FI section of Eurobricks. Prefix your entry topic title with [CSE]. You can post as many entries as you want, but remember that you'll be eligible to only one prize.

You can update your entry until the contest deadline.

Rules

No digital entries.

Entries close on February 17th 2023. As long as it's still February 17th somewhere in the world, you can post or update your entry.

You can join Eurobricks any time to post an entry.

You can enter as many times as you like as long as each one meets the minimum requirements detailed above. However, to spread the prize love around, each Eurobricks member will only win once.

All creations must be new for this contest and never before posted anywhere online.

All work must be your own - plagiarizing MOCs will result in immediate disqualification.

Choosing the Winners - Voting

Eurobricks members will vote for their favourite Spaceship. Eurobricks members must have joined Eurobricks by December 5th 2022 in order to be eligible to vote.

Each Eurobricks member can only win once.

The contest will have a winner and a runner up.

Prizes

Winner will receive a copy of 10497 Galaxy Explorer.

Runner up will receive a copy of 76832 XL-15 Spaceship.

Fine Print

• By entering, you consent to Eurobricks reposting your entry on Eurobricks' social media channels, crediting you.
  • Prize values are determined in accordance with German Shop at Home and prizes are subject to availability on the Shop at Home in the winners' local countries. Some back and forth with Eurobricks staff might be required to select an available prize.
  • Prizes could take 8-10 weeks to arrive but we will keep you updated as much as we are able.

Neat contest! Who built the ship in the photo, and where can I find more pictures of it?

5 minutes ago, icm said:

Neat contest! Who built the ship in the photo, and where can I find more pictures of it?

Thanks. I built it, but haven't taken pictures of it except for this one. Will post more later this week I hope.

This sounds fun and I like the size constraint.

I would like some clarification on the word "house". Sounds like the smaller vehicle must be hidden. So something like the pods that detach from the original Blacktron Renegade wouldn't qualify I presume?

Wish I had more time...

I really like the rules. No digital and a reasonable size. A real builders contest.

2 hours ago, danth said:

I would like some clarification on the word "house". Sounds like the smaller vehicle must be hidden. So something like the pods that detach from the original Blacktron Renegade wouldn't qualify I presume?

That's a bad choice of word on my side then. The secondary vehicle may be stored inside the spaceship, or be detachable, but not necessarily hidden.

My example build has a small rover stored at the back.

1 hour ago, ranghaal said:

No digital and a reasonable size. A real builders contest.

That's the spirit :)

Big fan of classic space. Fingers crossed I can get some build time to have a go at this. Better get that brain thinking

Hey, this sounds like a parsec of fun! 

May I ask, how strict is the rule about respecting the colour scheme? Does this extend to every last greebly bit or is it just about showing the affiliation to one faction? I‘m thinking about a ship that clearly shows it‘s original colour coating, but with Millennium Falcon like rust spots and lazy repair work. 
p.s.: and also technical details like exposed fuel tanks and modules

Edited by Jacob Nion

48 minutes ago, Jacob Nion said:

May I ask, how strict is the rule about respecting the colour scheme? Does this extend to every last greebly bit or is it just about showing the affiliation to one faction? I‘m thinking about a ship that clearly shows it‘s original colour coating, but with Millennium Falcon like rust spots and lazy repair work. 
p.s.: and also technical details like exposed fuel tanks and modules

The original color scheme has to be respected, so unly the colors used back then. I know this may be difficult or restrictive sometimes, but I'm sure it will add to the fun...

39 minutes ago, Bob De Quatre said:

The original color scheme has to be respected, so unly the colors used back then. I know this may be difficult or restrictive sometimes, but I'm sure it will add to the fun...

Nah, I completely get that. It makes the challenge more…challenging.

And hopefully encourages more people to join on in, since it can be done without a fancy parts collection.

I like it! I completely zoned out on work and started doodling spaceships :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Jacob Nion

1 hour ago, Bob De Quatre said:

The original color scheme has to be respected, so only the colors used back then. I know this may be difficult or restrictive sometimes, but I'm sure it will add to the fun...

Just to be clear, this means that for Classic Space, light bluish gray cannot be use, only light gray?

3 minutes ago, BigTonka said:

Just to be clear, this means that for Classic Space, light bluish gray cannot be use, only light gray?

Light bluish gray can be used... Except if you prefer using only light gray ;)

Rules updated

This looks like an awesome contest! I'll have to try to see if there's anything I can come up for it. I won't be able to start working on it though until after Christmas

Just asking for clarification since it isn't covered in the rules - Does this contest entry need to use 100% Lego pieces?  Nothing custom or non-Lego brick, correct?

7 hours ago, Triceron said:

Nothing custom or non-Lego brick, correct?

The rules being strict on the colour scheme, I think you may exclude custom and non-lego... they seem out of that challenge spirit.

7 hours ago, Triceron said:

Just asking for clarification since it isn't covered in the rules - Does this contest entry need to use 100% Lego pieces?  Nothing custom or non-Lego brick, correct?

Correct, I'll update the rules.

Hi all.
I'm new in sci-fi theme. So far, I have only participated in a few lego technic competitions. But I really liked the theme of this competition and I wanted to try to take part. So I have a few clarifying questions:
1) Is there any restriction on the use of system / technic parts? (I ask because there is such a restriction in the lego techniс theme)

2) I realized that there should be strict compliance with the color scheme of the chosen theme. I want to choose a Spyrius theme.
It consists of two primary colors: Black and Red. And a small amount of "Dark gray" and "Light gray". Does this mean that I can use the main colors Black and Red. and a small amount of Dark Bluish Gray and Light Bluish Gray?

As an example of that, what I'm asking about - I'll post my work, which was done for one of the past competitions in the lego technic forum. Is such a number of technc parts and such proportions of colors acceptable?
640x640.jpg

Edited by Akassin

Questions :

1 : "20 to 40 studes" .. so as long as it's at least 20 studs but no more than 40 studs on any given dimension, it's okay?

2 : "The secondary vehicle", must that be manned? Could it be a rocket or a satellite (or a rocket with a satellite)? Very common in that era

3 : "Never before posted anywhere online". I use Flickr, that means technically my MOCs are posted online (seconds, minuttes, or a few hours) before I post them on EB. As EB is not a hosting service this is impossible to conform to

4 : Can I use original LEGO electrical components? Most of my spaceships use 9V light, sound, opticals and motors

5 : What about original LEGO non-production parts? And standard LEGO parts in non-production colours?

Cheers,

Ole

@1974 for your 3rd question about posting online I think what they mean by this is not having shared it in the past on social media / a forum / at an event. As you say we all need to put pictures onto a hosting service before posting the entry here so that doesn’t count. But if you’d posted them on Flikr before this competition had been announced I’d say that MOC doesn’t count for this competition.

It's been a while since I ran a contest, and I didn't miss the people being nitpicky or even sneaky with the rules :purrr:

16 hours ago, 1974 said:

Questions :

1 : "20 to 40 studes" .. so as long as it's at least 20 studs but no more than 40 studs on any given dimension, it's okay?

2 : "The secondary vehicle", must that be manned? Could it be a rocket or a satellite (or a rocket with a satellite)? Very common in that era

3 : "Never before posted anywhere online". I use Flickr, that means technically my MOCs are posted online (seconds, minuttes, or a few hours) before I post them on EB. As EB is not a hosting service this is impossible to conform to

4 : Can I use original LEGO electrical components? Most of my spaceships use 9V light, sound, opticals and motors

5 : What about original LEGO non-production parts? And standard LEGO parts in non-production colours?

Cheers,

Ole

1: Yes

2: Good question... I'll say yes, it must be manned (bt can be "stored" without the pilot.

3: 

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

@1974 for your 3rd question about posting online I think what they mean by this is not having shared it in the past on social media / a forum / at an event. As you say we all need to put pictures onto a hosting service before posting the entry here so that doesn’t count. But if you’d posted them on Flikr before this competition had been announced I’d say that MOC doesn’t count for this competition.

4: Yes, as long as it is something produced by Lego (I sometimes use a round Lego eraser as part of MOCs)

5: Only parts that are or have been in production.

20 hours ago, Akassin said:

Hi all.
I'm new in sci-fi theme. So far, I have only participated in a few lego technic competitions. But I really liked the theme of this competition and I wanted to try to take part. So I have a few clarifying questions:
1) Is there any restriction on the use of system / technic parts? (I ask because there is such a restriction in the lego techniс theme)

2) I realized that there should be strict compliance with the color scheme of the chosen theme. I want to choose a Spyrius theme.
It consists of two primary colors: Black and Red. And a small amount of "Dark gray" and "Light gray". Does this mean that I can use the main colors Black and Red. and a small amount of Dark Bluish Gray and Light Bluish Gray?

As an example of that, what I'm asking about - I'll post my work, which was done for one of the past competitions in the lego technic forum. Is such a number of technc parts and such proportions of colors acceptable?
640x640.jpg

1: You can use Technic, system, Duplo, Scala, Belleville, .... Anything produced by Lego

2: You can use the color scheme of the whole theme, so if in the theme even only one set uses a specific color, then you can use it. Light grey and dark grey should be transformed in light bluish grey and dark bluish grey.

Question 1 Can I use pieces that are not in the color scheme if they are not visible on the outside?

Question 2 can the secondary vehicle be a detachable cockpit or it has to be completely separate? 

Edited by Danny_Boy4

51 minutes ago, Danny_Boy4 said:

Question 1 Can I use pieces that are not in the color scheme if they are not visible on the outside?

Related question, if we want to use something like Mixel joints in a Futuron build, is that okay, since those pieces don't exist in black or white? Assuming the vast majority of the build is in theme colors.

There are light grey parts used in the Futuron sets (baseplates, axle pins, monorail parts etc)