Sign in to follow this  
zinnn

Bricklink introduces 'My collection' feature

7 minutes ago, zinnn said:

I think it's a new feature? I love it, it will take a while to catalogue all my parts, but it will be brilliant to keep track of my parts for MOCs

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/myCollection/main.page

Yes, it's new. It almost seems like Bricklink is trying to muscle in on Brickset's territory, as they are the go-to place to store that same info.

24 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

Yes, it's new. It almost seems like Bricklink is trying to muscle in on Brickset's territory, as they are the go-to place to store that same info. 

true, but I don't mind to have it all in one place

1 hour ago, zinnn said:

I think it's a new feature? I love it, it will take a while to catalogue all my parts, but it will be brilliant to keep track of my parts for MOCs

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/myCollection/main.page

Yes, it was released yesterday and seemed to break selling features (adding inventory) for the whole day. And there were complaints that it was originally put in the same place that the part out button was placed, but thye have now moved it.

I noticed it too. Wondered what it is for. But I put some sets in, just to see how it works.

If it can quickly import .bsx files, I could put my whole collection in. But I still wonder why I would do that, really. On rebrickable, having the collection of parts serves a very clear purpose - it's the concept of that site. But here?

Of course, as Bricklink is owned by Lego itself now, it's the perfect statistics tool for them, I guess. So if all of us put our favorite sets in there, then if they check the data (which I'm sure they will), they know what type of sets we want more of.

Probably meant as extra data analysis of people's collection, since it's owned by LEGO, unlike Brickset/Rebrickable etc.

Maybe also to analyze what types of likely AFOL customers have X set if they also own Y set etc.

Not all bricklink users are sellers, so "my collection" is likely mostly for those users.

Also maybe some people will be more willing to have a place to track their pieces/collections in an "official" LEGO owned location, rather then a semi-commericial one like Rebrickable (free to use but has premium options)

Edited by TeriXeri

19 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

True , but still use somewhat differing methods of organizing parts.

Brickset often has a bit incomplete inventories, especially missing spare parts, or borrowing directly from rebrickable on old sets. (could easily be hundreds if not 1000s of parts difference between brickset/rebrickable on larger collections) , or different definitions of what counts as a fig, and different color names.

Also Brickset is more focused by individual mould ID's, while bricklink tends to group things over much longer periods of time, mainly only varying when parts clearly have changes like closed/open stud, or clip types etc.

Overall, 3 sites that function similarly, have some cross-compatibility, yet use some subtle differences/methods of set types (gear/books/magazine gifts etc) /  parts ID/color names/spare parts etc.

Edited by TeriXeri

It looks like LEGO may be introducing their own collection analysis tool too (seen on the thread on bricklink).

810949.png

Edited by MAB

On 12/2/2022 at 7:11 AM, MAB said:

It looks like LEGO may be introducing their own collection analysis tool too (seen on the thread on bricklink).

810949.png

Since LEGO is also planning to merge Bricklink accounts and Lego accounts, I think the two collection features will also be merged.

Seems to be a similar feature to Rebrickable's sets owned. Now I can in theory manage the few sets I have from BL instead of Rebrickable

2 minutes ago, jxu said:

Seems to be a similar feature to Rebrickable's sets owned. Now I can in theory manage the few sets I have from BL instead of Rebrickable

yup same here, I only have a few sets and a box of loose pieces for MOCs - so now it's all in one place

I had a quick look when I saw it appear - it seems to only be a list of sets with no other functionality - no parts or other breakdown(yet anyway). As such its utterly useless to me and seems out of kilter with the whole function of BL which (for me at least) is a place to buy parts ie individual bricks.

I'll continue with Basebrick thank you very much!!

Import via Rebrickable csv export or Bricklink XML does not seem to be working. Or it must be that on Rebrickable I've registered a lot of MOCs as 'set' which is possible on Rebrickable but not on Bricklink. That said, adding the official sets I have on display manually to the list wil not be much work but I don't see the added value in that, also because it is not possible to have set lists like on Rebrickable. Also not working, adding parts via sets part out.

Edited by Berthil