Sign in to follow this  
Mesabi

[COR - FB] Leaving Spudkirk

Type: Small Commerce (18x32 studs)

52532760890_e8a8ece169.jpg

To the edge of Spudkirk, tall cliffs rose up from the sea, revealing small sea caves. The view was especially scenic, and several prominent citizens had built houses here, at no small cost. 

Darby Tyler strode down the footpath towards his employer's Spudkirk residence. Count Mesabi awaited. 

52532289101_7be72dfbc5.jpg

Darby knocked on the door, slightly hesitant. He was not bringing good news.

"It's good to see you Darby!" Said the Count with his usual amount of disturbed cheer. "You're my favorite Accountant. You never fail to keep the WTC's numbers properly cooked." 

52532828873_dbbd4600f1.jpg

Darby gulped. "Count, I've finally gotten our numbers somewhat straightened out. After 2 years of auditing... I've come to the conclusion we're hemorrhaging money." 

The Count stood wordlessly, and walked to Darby. Darby handed him the finalized writeup.

52532760610_acb52df867.jpg

The Count skimmed the numbers. "Well then Darby, it's time we got back to work!" Said the Count excitedly. "Tell me, I heard a rumor about a nearby warzone"

52531818347_d167863cc8.jpg

"The issues on Oleandia with the Lotii? Yes, the conflict-" Darby was cut off. 

"Say no more, Darby! The WTC's biggest market is the battlefield. Well, that and people who can't or don't read the ingredients on canned food." The Count stood, and yanked a rug off of the floor, revealing a trap door.

52532569154_0782df544e.jpg

I've got just the plan in mind, we should head there now! I've got a rowboat in the basement. 

[52531818302_9c61823267.jpg

Darby looked at the rickety ladder into the sea cave below. He sighed, as the Count immediately climbed down. 

52532760465_4b80d7fce0.jpg

The ladder exited into a damp sea cave. Boxes of goods were piled around, while a rowboat sat tethered to a small dock.

"I had this built for quick exits. You know, in case my wife came back." Said the Count. 

52532288626_116b3ba0f6.jpg

"Count, any chance we could stop back in Spudkirk first? I'd love to grab-"

"There's no time for us to go back up the ladder and into Taterspock! We need to make sure we get there before the violence is over!" 

The Count whistled, and a spare WTC marine hurried over, knocking Darby into the rowboat. 

52531817687_e73f8c1f88.jpg

Darby managed to sit upright as the boat was rowed out of the cave, and towards Count Mesabi's ship. 

"The real issue is, you don't resolve everything before telling me things!" said the Count, as they rowed into open water.

FIN

Thanks for viewing my build. It's good to get back on after another hiatus. I built this in late 2021, but I was a bit stumped on the story, so I took a break from it. Now, after 11 months and a move, it's finally up. :pir_laugh2:

I really liked the snippet about the sea caves on the Avestia island information, and it was a fun challenge to do a build with them as the primary influence. I ran out of bricks towards the end, so I wasn't able to put in stalagmites and stalactites, but I think it looks fine. 

I'm looking forward to getting back into BoBS, and I hope to get more up soon!

First of all: great to see you - and the Count - back in action again!

This build is really well done overall, as is the presentation. I think you have improved a lot over the years, and it shows. Well done!

Oddly enough, I am somewhat let down by the writing this time around. To me it lacks the usual "Mesabi spirit", for a lack of better words. This is not a big deal, just... unexpected.

Either way, very much looking forward to your next builds and stories already! :pir-sweet:

Good to see the Count back in action. I believe the residents of Spudkirk let out a collective sigh of relief upon hearing of the Count's departure :pir-laugh:

Also, just a reminder to post in the settlement thread :pir-sweet:

This is an exciting and interesting photo story. I like the room with the folding door and the cave. The cave is furnished with everything that is urgently needed.

A rowboat get away lagoon?!? Very nice. Good use of those bulky prefab mountainy bits. The rugs was a nice touch! What part are you using for cans anyways?

On 11/30/2022 at 1:41 AM, Darnok said:

First of all: great to see you - and the Count - back in action again!

This build is really well done overall, as is the presentation. I think you have improved a lot over the years, and it shows. Well done!

Oddly enough, I am somewhat let down by the writing this time around. To me it lacks the usual "Mesabi spirit", for a lack of better words. This is not a big deal, just... unexpected.

Either way, very much looking forward to your next builds and stories already! :pir-sweet:

Thanks Darnok! I really liked how this one turned out, though I definitely struggled with the writing a bit with it. Sometimes a good build is hard to write a good story for! :pir-murder:

On 11/30/2022 at 1:55 AM, Ross Fisher said:

Always fun to see. Looking forward to more!

Thanks Ross! I always enjoy circling back to the Bricks now and then. 

On 11/30/2022 at 5:39 AM, Spud The Viking said:

Good to see the Count back in action. I believe the residents of Spudkirk let out a collective sigh of relief upon hearing of the Count's departure :pir-laugh:

Also, just a reminder to post in the settlement thread :pir-sweet:

Thank you Spud! I can concur about the residential populace of Spudkirk being glad he's gone. 

Will get this added to the settlement thread!

On 11/30/2022 at 1:40 PM, NOD said:

This is an exciting and interesting photo story. I like the room with the folding door and the cave. The cave is furnished with everything that is urgently needed.

Thanks Nod! I considered turning this into a pirate hideaway, but I ended up deciding against it. 

On 11/30/2022 at 6:15 PM, Jeff of Clubs said:

A rowboat get away lagoon?!? Very nice. Good use of those bulky prefab mountainy bits. The rugs was a nice touch! What part are you using for cans anyways?

Thanks Jeff, and it's great to see more new members on the Brick Seas! 

For cans, I usually use eraser's head from the batman CMF series, but really any grey 1x1 cylinder works. 

On 12/1/2022 at 2:23 PM, Fraunces said:

Fun to see you back man, 

Glad to be back!

On 12/6/2022 at 6:39 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

Always good to see the Count up to his newfangled schemes! And a nicely done building and landscape to match.

Thanks Blackbird!