Sign in to follow this  
Tomik

[WIP] Osprey Built out of Volvo

When the first pictures of set 42113: Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey appeared on internet two years ago I was not fascinated by them at all. Things changed when LEGO announced cancellation of this set just few weeks before its official release.

42113-1.jpg?202007021041

My new interest in set 42113 wasn't big enough to convince me to buy one of overpriced original sets that were sold before their cancellation. So instead of buying new set I've got idea to build Osprey out of Volvo hauler (set 42114) that was released in same time.

42114-1.jpg?202007021040

It is interesting that no one else got this idea too and haven't made it come true. Initially it looked like good and easy job because Volvo has about 500 pieces more than Osprey and it contains a lot of panels and liftarms. Then I began building and found out that I need even more liftarms (especially shorter ones) and I can't use many panels due to their large size...

So let's take a look at where I am now. I built as much as I could by following original building instructions and changing just parts of model where I was missing correct parts. I had to rebuild engines with propellers and wings completely plus tail was modified to use less liftarms and more available panels. I also had to omit inclination of wings because Volvo doesn't contain enough universal joints (it contains only one and inclined wings need 4). You can see current state of model with wings and tail connected provisionally to fuselage at pictures below.

index.php?action=dlattach;attach=248973

index.php?action=dlattach;attach=248975

I skipped assembly of gearbox intentionally because it must be totally different. It is also part of model where I am stuck right now. I am dealing with these questions:

1. Should I keep all 4 main functions of plane (spinning propellers, tilting engines, lowering landing gear and opening cargo door)?
  2. Which functions should be motorized and which should be manual? Volvo features 3 motors. Two of them are large and they hardly fit in free space inside fuselage. If I keep all functions how will I distribute motors for them? Combination of one motor for powering and another for switching gearbox is not ideal because you can't run two functions at the same time (for example spinning propellers and tilting engines). There is not enough room for all three motors and gearbox inside fuselage and I already have problems with stability - plane is too rear heavy.
  3. Should I use linear actuators for lowering landing gear, opening cargo door and tilting engines or other mechanism? Original Osprey uses small linear actuators and one worm gear but Volvo has only the biggest actuators and no worm gears.

If you have any suggestion or idea how to overcome issues I am dealing with I'll appreciate them. The last picture shows plane with available motors and linear actuators for size comparison.

index.php?action=dlattach;attach=248977

Nice project! Keep the function would be really nice, but they can be manual if needed.

- Spinning propellers is number one priority to be motorized.

- The landing gear and the cargo door are good candidates as manual function, a linkage will do the job, so you don't need those large actuators.

- Tilting the engines would also be nice as a motorized feature because you get the locking of those engines in a certain position for free

Hi Tomik, just to get a feeling for the space left i have this question: Is the battery box already integrated? It looks like the piece in front of the wings, behind the cabin. does one of the motors fit on top of the battery box?

Just excited to see it done, hope  you find your way, because i remember someone who promise to build Osprey out of 42082 two years ago, but nothings happen untill now 😮💨

Thank you all for your comments.

12 hours ago, GerritvdG said:

Nice project! Keep the function would be really nice, but they can be manual if needed.

- Spinning propellers is number one priority to be motorized.

- The landing gear and the cargo door are good candidates as manual function, a linkage will do the job, so you don't need those large actuators.

- Tilting the engines would also be nice as a motorized feature because you get the locking of those engines in a certain position for free

This looks like very good concept. It should be doable because you need just two motors, no gearbox and I've already found good solution for manual operation of cargo door.

7 hours ago, pow said:

Hi Tomik, just to get a feeling for the space left i have this question: Is the battery box already integrated? It looks like the piece in front of the wings, behind the cabin. does one of the motors fit on top of the battery box?

Yes, battery box is already in place right behind cockpit. And yes, there is space for the smallest motor over it (it is the place where it should sit in original model). Free space between walls of fuselage in its central part is 7 studs wide so Mindstorms motor would fit there easier than XL-motor.

6 hours ago, Dylan M said:

Just excited to see it done, hope  you find your way, because i remember someone who promise to build Osprey out of 42082 two years ago, but nothings happen untill now 😮💨

I didn't know about this attempt. Has this guy shown any progress? It looks like 42082 has more suitable parts and twice as many of them as Volvo.

Great job so far!

You can get some inspirations for the functions from this guy too - the 42039 Osprey. The PDF is free I believe.
I have no idea whether he's in this forum or not. This is not my creation, I just enjoy the collective spirit to build this machine.