Schwedii

Mercedes-Benz SK´94 3053 6x6/2 with 15-axle Goldhofer THP/SL

Hello everybody,

my name is Schwedii, I am new here and would like to present here my heavy transport.

52504033398_a64806e8ab_c.jpg

It is a replica of the Mercedes-Benz SK '94 3053 6x6/2 from the heavy transport company Viktor Baumann from Bornheim, Germany.

The Lego model is, as usual built in 1:16 (1:17) scale. The heavy duty modules are modeled after the original from Goldhofer AG, Germany.
The heavy duty modules are based on the "basic module" by Michael Wirth (efferman), which have been extended to 15-axles and are mechnaically steered.

The load is a paper calender cylinder, which are manufactured by Valmet in Sweden for paper plants.
The construction of the cylinder consists of Lego parts. The tarpaulin, lettering as well as lashing chains were reproduced as best as possible from original pictures.

The truck is driven by three PF XL motors and the steering is done by a geek servo. The speed controller is a Servonaut E20, with the matching sound module SM3, which is also from Servonaut.

The installed light on the truck as well as the semi-finished lighting on the module was realized by Bricktec-Lights.de.
The light on the truck is powered by the drive battery and on the module by four Mignon AAA batteries.
The truck system runs on an operating voltage of 9.6V and is controlled by a 2.4 Ghz remote control.

The first "debut" was on 05.11 and 06.11 at the autumn fair in Kassel, Germany. There I drove as a guest driver between the 1:14 and 1:16 Rc models from Tamiya, ScaleArt etc..
The heavy transporter drove the two days a total of 10 hours. During this time there were no failures on the truck or the modules.

For me personally, the 6x6 chassis with three engines and the rest of the electronics has proven positive.

52502989762_e4a5696e34_c.jpg

52503486736_22f7830419_c.jpg

All photos and videos in my flickr album

Schwedii

Baumann 7 - klein.jpeg

Edited by Milan
Added a few photos for frontpaging

@Schwedii first of all welcome to eurobricks forum. MB truck looks very nice and with propulsion of 3 PF XL motors it is very powerful beast (I'm happy with one PF XL motor on MOC when i manage to make power output without rubber band or as you wluld say "gummiband" effect. Can we see your chassis (without cab an wheels)? And I suppose wheels are painted?

kind regards 

Edited by 1gor

@1gor I hope this little detail report say erverything :classic: Yes, the wheels are painted with 1K-acrylic spray paint.

Once the truck is tilted on its side, you can see where the three PF XL engines are hiding. The motors only deliver their power to one axle at a time. In continuous operation with a total towing weight of just under 8 kg, the motors do not get hot and the "SK" runs like clockwork.

It is obvious that the truck has no suspension. Nevertheless, the chassis is flexible enough to cope with unevenness or simply drives over it (to a certain extent).

The register and trailer coupling are one unit to the chassis and can therefore absorb large forces. I haven't driven it in manoeuvring mode yet, but that will certainly come at the next fair. The fuel tank and the storage box are of lightweight construction.

The driver's cab, like on all my models, is removable and is held in place by a form-fit connection.
Why do I do it this way? It simply came about during the building process.

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

Let's move on to the ballast bed, the heart of the model. The speed controller, receiver, sound module, loudspeaker, battery and light control have met in this flatbed to breathe "life" into the truck.

Speed controller:
The Servonaut E20 speed controller has cruise control, just like in a real car. If you accelerate via the remote control and release the stick, the speed controller maintains the speed until you brake or accelerate.

Stick forward: throttle
Stick to the rear: Brakes

"And what about reverse? "
The reverse gear must be engaged as in real. The stick down to the left for forward and down to the right for reverse.
At first this was quite unusual, but now I find this function wonderful.

The speed controller also has an EMF brake. This brakes the model downhill in a controlled manner and prevents a loss of control.
Furthermore, there are contact points for the brake and tail lights, which light up automatically for the respective action.

Sound module:
The SM3 sound module, also from Servonaut, offers starter and shut-off sounds, air release, truck horn, turbocharger and 5 engine types. The respective engine type can be selected via a jumper.

The reversing sound is of course also included, but the E20 does not support this function.

The sound module is then connected to the speed controller and loudspeaker. When accelerating and braking, the driving sound changes automatically.
The volume can be adjusted via a potentiometer at the end.

The sound module is switched on and off via a free channel.

Lighting:
I had the lights made by Bricktec-Lights.com.

Each indicator is activated via one channel on the remote control. This means that you automatically get warning lights when both channels are active.
The low beam for front and rear is also controlled by one channel. For the front headlights I used yellow SMDs, because these trucks did not have LED headlights at that time.

Rotating beacons and work lights must not be missing, as you have to be able to make yourself noticed. The lights, like the others, are managed via a separate channel.

Installation:
Although the flatbed is quite big, I got some space problems. The current installation, as shown in the photos, has to be completely removed and re-routed again, neatly with an overview.

The battery stays where it is. In this position it is in the middle of the model and creates a good ballast weight.
When all consumers are switched on and depending on the driving situation, the battery lasts up to 4 hours.

800x600.JPG

800x600.JPG

Stickers and special parts:
I created all the stickers on the truck, heavy-duty module and load with PowerPoint and printed them out with a laser printer. The cutting was done with the help of a scalpel and ruler.

The Mercedes star on the grill, for example, is not an original Lego part. I painted the Minifgure Shield in RAL 3020 and applied the sticker.

The rims and the grey " tarpaulin " for the ballast tables are painted. Also some bricks had to be modified to be able to lay the cables for the lighting.

800x1067.JPG

Edited by Schwedii

On 11/23/2022 at 8:52 PM, Schwedii said:

Hello everybody,

my name is Schwedii, I am new here and would like to present here my heavy transport.

Hello and welcome to EB!

I have added a few photos from your gallery to your post, so we can frontpage your model (on the main page of the Eurobricks forum) and promote it a bit :wink:

@Milan thank you, for this promotion

6 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Cool truck... :wub_drool:
Project superior to model making! :excited:
Impressive use of light and sound! :thumbup::thumbup:
Just one question, does the box have parts painted or gray wrapped?

Yes, I painted the gray part of the ballast bed with 1K acrylic spray paint.

I wanted to use my existing bricks and therefore painted them.
However, I only do such actions if the surface to be painted does not have too many undercuts and is easy to paint.