LDigital

Fondor Haulcraft - where’s the MOCS?

This is a new one but definitely needs some Lego love. Last week’s Andor convinced me and made me want one for my collection.

It may be some time until we see an official one and it will no doubt be playscale at best. 

Has anyone found any notable Mocs of this? By now there were a billion N-1 Mocs on rebrickable but for this it’s tumbleweeds.

Whoever makes a minifig scale version wins.

Edited by LDigital

It's a lot bigger and more complex than an N-1, and there are no previous Haulcraft sets to base it off of, that's why there aren't any MOCs of it yet. Whoever makes a minifig scale version wins - I'll watch.

Funny to be seeing this question. I was having the exact same thoughts earlier today.

I started sketching the front of this ship at lunchtime and working out which parts to use for a minifig-scale version.

I don't know how far I'll get but I'll probably have a go in Stud.io soon, see what I come up with.

Like icm says, this ain't no N-1. I did a moc of that in a day. This might take a bit longer.

It's definitely on my MINI to do list along with the Tac Pod.  It reminds me a bit of the Tie Reaper from Rogue One.

Well, it is ugly. And boring.

So far it has been only 6 days since we discovered the boring ugly duckling is not boring and has some serious teeth.
Considering this is a large ship and it will take a while to design and build some, I expect 2-3 weeks till we start seeing some quality MOCs of it, unless it ends its life tomorrow. 

Edited by Jerac

I wish you hadn't said that :laugh:. I was just getting interested in this pocket Falcon. If they do a Razor Crest on it before we even know it's actual proper name, I'm going to be a bit sad.

There aren't a lot of clear shots of a lot of the ship's body.  

Edited by MBricks

2 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I'm sure this is exactly what you're looking for and will completely satisfy your MOC needs. :wink:

Oh, it's beautiful. 

I'd order parts to build one IRL, though I'm sure the cost would be immense for such a massive craft. (Jokes aside, it's a very nice rendition at that scale, though the colors may be a bit off.)

But yeah, as others have said the reason we don't have one yet is because people can't slightly modify and recolor their existing N-1 sets/mocs to make the mando N-1 moc. They have to make a full on moc about the size of a flagship set for a wave.

19 hours ago, LDigital said:

This is a new one but definitely needs some Lego love. Last week’s Andor convinced me and made me want one for my collection.

It may be some time until we see an official one and it will no doubt be playscale at best. 

Has anyone found any notable Mocs of this? By now there were a billion N-1 Mocs on rebrickable but for this it’s tumbleweeds.

Whoever makes a minifig scale version wins.

I'm just slowly finishing my N-1 MOC... :laugh:

going back to Fondor Haulcraft, I think I'll build it in a few months. I don't like to rush, I prefer to work out every detail calmly.

I think the MOC should be at least the size of a Millennium Falcon playset, if only because of the cabin and similar canopy. If there is to be an interior (and I always want an interior), it takes 2-3 months to build such a ship, for about 3-4k parts.

I started working on it a few weeks ago, but I haven't really had time to work on it more.  Would be happy to work together on the ship if anyone is also trying to tackle the design.  

Andor-Ship.png

I've made a start on one, but I'm waiting for an official floorplan to pop up! I'd hate to spend a week 'guessbuilding' the interior and then find out the toilet is at the other end of the ship! :D

1 hour ago, kl0p said:

I found this on twitter, its a 3D model that can help whoever is designing a MOC for this amazing ship already:

https://twitter.com/mel_miniatures/status/1593752074356932608?t=xcBTq0aR4YAmvb9MV-Q0XQ&s=19

I honestly doubt the author has any more knowledge about the ship than us here. So treat this as a loose interpretation at best.
Altough I have to say, this is clearly a nice interpretation!

I really liked this ship until I saw the lightsabers. Leave it to Disney to write themselves into yet ANOTHER Holdo Maneuver situation. I suppose this, too, will require a quaint "that's got to be one in a million" off-hand explanation for why we don't see it all the time?

1 hour ago, LordsofMedieval said:

I really liked this ship until I saw the lightsabers. Leave it to Disney to write themselves into yet ANOTHER Holdo Maneuver situation. I suppose this, too, will require a quaint "that's got to be one in a million" off-hand explanation for why we don't see it all the time?

The Holdo maneuver isn't seen all the time because... I dunno... most people aren't suicidal?

As for the Haulcraft, the show seems to leave the door open for any number of explanations... it's clear Luthen has tricked this ship out to the max, so perhaps they are prohibitively expensive? Or some kind of experimental tech? Or their range is so short that their possible uses are severely limited? In any event, not everything needs to be explained to the nth degree. It is a work of fiction... there is such thing as suspension of disbelief. 

And, in defense of Disney, there was a little matter of R2's leg rockets, present in Episode 2 and 3, never to be seen again... I think George's explanation was that they had, conveniently... a 10 year warranty?

9 hours ago, jdubbs said:

The Holdo maneuver isn't seen all the time because... I dunno... most people aren't suicidal?

And, in defense of Disney, there was a little matter of R2's leg rockets, present in Episode 2 and 3, never to be seen again... I think George's explanation was that they had, conveniently... a 10 year warranty?

Not according to TROS.

To be fair, "R2's leg rockets stopped working at some point over the 20 year gap between eps3 and 4" makes a lot more sense than "you can suicide bomb a much larger ship by jumping to hyperspace, and no one's ever used it before, including against star destroyers, the executor and death star, because... we've decided the ship used to destroy the supremacy was special and had special shields, which is never mentioned in the film"

Now granted, I don't think disney deserves all the blame, as stuff like RO and Andor is great and I maintain that at least 2/3 of the prequels are really awful. But TLJ's plot was nonsense.

11 hours ago, LordsofMedieval said:

I thought it was hinting that the ship was powered by kyber crystals, which would explain why we don't see them often. We know luthen has them, this ship is clearly special, and those were lightsabers.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

36 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Not according to TROS.

R2's leg rockets were used in TROS? Must have missed that. Or do you mean the second instance of the Holdo maneuver? To which I would say... desperate times, desperate measures?

36 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

To be fair, "R2's leg rockets stopped working at some point over the 20 year gap between eps3 and 4" makes a lot more sense than "you can suicide bomb a much larger ship by jumping to hyperspace, and no one's ever used it before, including against star destroyers, the executor and death star, because... we've decided the ship used to destroy the supremacy was special and had special shields, which is never mentioned in the film"

Fine, whatever, 20 years.  but... the Organas couldn't afford replacement parts? No other droids in the galaxy had these? etc. etc. etc.

The point is, whatever explanation you devise for it, it's still something that — if you are the sort that gets hung up on these kinds of details, which the OP clearly is — might make one go, hmm. Along with countless other things introduced in each successive Star Wars movie/show/comic/etc. Force lightning! Purple lightsabers! Double-bladed lightsabers! Lifting rocks! Force telepathy! Solar sails! Lightsaber-proof beskar! Hand-held laser shields! To speak nothing of every single new droid/ship/alien/planet that shows up in the prequels/sequels/shows/etc. but was not seen in the preceding releases. I personally can accept these things — all of these things — because I recognize that these are movies, and there is, again, suspension of disbelief required whenever creative license is employed. But if you insist on getting hung up on questions of "why haven't we seen X before" then you probably should have just stopped watching Star Wars in 1977 and never ever think about the franchise again.

And, not to belabor the point, but if you put pretty much anything hard and solid into a gun and fire it point-blank at, well, pretty much anything else, it's going to do damage —this is how people like Brandon Lee and Jon-Erik Hexum died from blanks being fired on set. I'm no physicist, but propelling a giant metal capital ship at light speed through another giant metal capital ship doesn't seem like it would be all that different. That is, to me, a good enough explanation for a fantasy space opera... emphasis on fantasy.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Not according to TROS.

Now granted, I don't think disney deserves all the blame, as stuff like RO and Andor is great and I maintain that at least 2/3 of the prequels are really awful. But TLJ's plot was nonsense.

I thought it was hinting that the ship was powered by kyber crystals, which would explain why we don't see them often. We know luthen has them, this ship is clearly special, and those were lightsabers.

I still think this falls under the "rule of cool," which seems to govern everything the mouse owns of late.

On the flip side of the coin, the base design of the ship is really neat - kind of a squished Falcon. And @azanderk's initial work on that cockpit is freaking inspired MOCing. Very impressed.

2 hours ago, jdubbs said:

R2's leg rockets were used in TROS? Must have missed that. Or do you mean the second instance of the Holdo maneuver? To which I would say... desperate times, desperate measures?

Fine, whatever, 20 years.  but... the Organas couldn't afford replacement parts? No other droids in the galaxy had these? etc. etc. etc.

The point is, whatever explanation you devise for it, it's still something that — if you are the sort that gets hung up on these kinds of details, which the OP clearly is — might make one go, hmm. Along with countless other things introduced in each successive Star Wars movie/show/comic/etc. Force lightning! Purple lightsabers! Double-bladed lightsabers! Lifting rocks! Force telepathy! Solar sails! Lightsaber-proof beskar! Hand-held laser shields! To speak nothing of every single new droid/ship/alien/planet that shows up in the prequels/sequels/shows/etc. but was not seen in the preceding releases. I personally can accept these things — all of these things — because I recognize that these are movies, and there is, again, suspension of disbelief required whenever creative license is employed. But if you insist on getting hung up on questions of "why haven't we seen X before" then you probably should have just stopped watching Star Wars in 1977 and never ever think about the franchise again.

And, not to belabor the point, but if you put pretty much anything hard and solid into a gun and fire it point-blank at, well, pretty much anything else, it's going to do damage —this is how people like Brandon Lee and Jon-Erik Hexum died from blanks being fired on set. I'm no physicist, but propelling a giant metal capital ship at light speed through another giant metal capital ship doesn't seem like it would be all that different. That is, to me, a good enough explanation for a fantasy space opera... emphasis on fantasy.

No I meant they gave a reason in TROS and it was that it's like a one in a million chance that the Holdo Manuver would actually work, which... seems worse than the fanon explanations, because then it's just sacrificing your capital ship for a 1/1000000 chance at destroying the enemy ship. 

I think I'm not explaining my argument well. My point was that I generally agree with you, the holdo manuver is the exception. In that same comment I say it makes sense for R2's thing and for the kyber-powered ship. 

And my issue with the holdo manuver isn't that it worked, but that if it works, why isn't it constantly used?