msk6003

Again 1996, Again 8480 - Now with instruction!

Finally finish my version of studless 8480 Space shuttle.

I got idea in 1 year ago but started and finish recently.

This model use 1 C+ dumb battery, 1 C+ L motor, 1 spike essential's small motor and 1 chinese C+ extension cable, 3 red light brick.

Feature

Motorised

Cargo bay open/close

Crane with satellite up/down

Crane with satellite rotate(limit in 90')

Satellite solar panel expend/close

Sequential rear booster light

Manual

Folding landing gear using lever on left wing

Moving flap using lever on right wing

Moving flap in vertical tail fin

Working lever in cabin(Second transmission lever for B model)

It's also easy to change batteries, as you only need to remove the vertical tail fin and two motor switchs.

I planned also made B model later.

22.jpg

23.jpg

Instruction finish!

A model

B model

Edited by msk6003

Nice rebuild and demonstration, good old memories! Nicely working mechanisms, I don't remember how it was with the original, did it also have 2 motors, one with the gearbox? I only remember the usage of the micro motor. Great use of the spike motor as a modern replacement :) Also, I like the light bricks in the back instead of the fiber optics.

Maybe one thing, the wing looks a bit messy where the panels overlap. Maybe just leaving out the top panels would result in a cleaner build, even if with more gaps.

Great work!

I still can't seem to find those spike prime small motors for sale in the UK :/

Anyway, cool model, I like the idea of  making new renditions of old lego technic sets

Nice work! That's a nice recreation of a classic set, with some nice usage of specialized large parts for the engines and hatch.

30 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

Nice rebuild and demonstration, good old memories! Nicely working mechanisms, I don't remember how it was with the original, did it also have 2 motors, one with the gearbox? I only remember the usage of the micro motor. Great use of the spike motor as a modern replacement :) Also, I like the light bricks in the back instead of the fiber optics.

Maybe one thing, the wing looks a bit messy where the panels overlap. Maybe just leaving out the top panels would result in a cleaner build, even if with more gaps.

Great work!

I don't like that part either, but I used it because it looked better than empty.

30 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

I still can't seem to find those spike prime small motors for sale in the UK :/

Anyway, cool model, I like the idea of  making new renditions of old lego technic sets

I got some of those motor with cheap price because I'm working in No.1 lego education bender in my country.

14 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Now try the B-model! :laugh:

I already used the parts for considering making the B model. For example, using parts with axle holes instead of pin holes in the wheels of the landing gear. (for small car in B model)

15 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Nice work! That's a nice recreation of a classic set, with some nice usage of specialized large parts for the engines and hatch.

Actually, C+ dumb batterybox, spike essential's small motor and those hatch panel make me made this.

Bravo!, A masterpiece, just like the original. I recently disassembled/cleaned mine and stored it ... maybe it needs a new owner :)

Looks super amazing! I have always loved the Space Shuttle (and the toys). When the Artemis 1 went up all I think about was the Space Shuttle because of the orange buster and the sound of the solid boosters.

Really good remake.

Only thing that annoys me, is that thick black side of wings. maybe You could try to reduce it to 2L height at least?

20 hours ago, Jurss said:

Really good remake.

Only thing that annoys me, is that thick black side of wings. maybe You could try to reduce it to 2L height at least?

I made 3L thick for firmly connection but I will try remove top layer.

Edited by msk6003

Yes, the edge of the wings is far too thick, it would definitely benefit from some other kind of design to make it thinner.

One thing I also don't like that much is the gap between the cargo bay doors and the satellite arm sticking out of it. I know it's kind of accurate to the original, but there it somehow felt less obvious due to the generally more skeletal design of the shuttle. Now it feels like a mix of modern smooth design which minimizes gaps in bodywork, and the old skeletal style which tended to show only outline of the bodywork.

Beyond these, awesome work. The nose is especially nice, and I love how it replicates the original functionality (even the fiber optics, even if it's built differently) and if I'm not wrong, it's also very similar in size? That's no small feat, considering the complexity of the original.

3 hours ago, howitzer said:

Yes, the edge of the wings is far too thick, it would definitely benefit from some other kind of design to make it thinner.

One thing I also don't like that much is the gap between the cargo bay doors and the satellite arm sticking out of it. I know it's kind of accurate to the original, but there it somehow felt less obvious due to the generally more skeletal design of the shuttle. Now it feels like a mix of modern smooth design which minimizes gaps in bodywork, and the old skeletal style which tended to show only outline of the bodywork.

Beyond these, awesome work. The nose is especially nice, and I love how it replicates the original functionality (even the fiber optics, even if it's built differently) and if I'm not wrong, it's also very similar in size? That's no small feat, considering the complexity of the original.

The gap is not due to compatibility issues with the original, but because the satellite arm can no longer be lowered. In fact, the floor of the cargo compartment is only 1 stud high excluding the gear train for the rear landing gear,(Also, because of this, I was quite troubled by the problem of connecting the two power sources to the turntable that rotates the crane.) and it is difficult to reduce the width than 15 due to the existence of the 11x15 frame that holds the structure of the main gearbox, and even if the width is reduced with removing the frame, the even/odd issue will still make result in half-stud gaps.(comment with translator)

Edited by msk6003

2 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

The gap is not due to compatibility issues with the original, but because the satellite arm can no longer be lowered. In fact, the floor of the cargo compartment is only 1 stud high excluding the gear train for the rear landing gear,(Also, because of this, I was quite troubled by the problem of connecting the two power sources to the turntable that rotates the crane.) and it is difficult to reduce the width than 15 due to the existence of the 11x15 frame that holds the structure of the main gearbox, and even if the width is reduced with removing the frame, the even/odd issue will still make result in half-stud gaps.(comment with translator)

How about raising the doors (hinges) 1 stud and adding some plates to fill the gap? The cockpit roof would then also need some reshaping, but it's kinda flat as it is, some curvature there would be nice too.

8480.jpg

Boxart concept

8480_v2.png

Comparison with original model

again8480_functiondemo_all.png

All gearing

again8480_functiondemo_booster.png

Booster function

again8480_functiondemo_bey.png

Bey function

again8480_functiondemo_turn.png

Crane turning function

again8480_functiondemo_lift.png

Crane lifting function

again8480_functiondemo_solar.png

Solarpanel function

again8480_functiondemo_flap.png

Working flap

again8480_functiondemo_landing.png

Working landing gear

kakaotalk_20230127_023854053.jpg

I finish B model now. Function is same with original but I add leftover wheel on bottom of submarine so model can rolling on floor.

There is 2 switch on backside of cabin. Original model located pole reverser switch on there but I connect those switch with batterybox's switch using link. Actual battery is located on bottom of submarine so battery can easly changeable.

Frone switch control vehicle. Work very well but hard to go outside from sub because of thick cable and fast speed.

Rear switch control main motor. Can flip onnly one direction like original B model. When switch is on, 2 lightbrick on side start blinking alternately and rear propeller turning.

Each side lever control sub's cargo bey's upper and lower part. Like original B model, flip direction of lever choose working direction of each part of bey.

Of course periscope is working too using yellow wedge belt wheel like original B model.

kakaotalk_20230127_023854053_01.jpg

Opining both bey of sub and take out vehicle

Looks nice! But you would need to gear down the rover a lot to be usable, the original is way slower and easier to manouevre. And probably route the cable through the top hatch to avoid it getting tangled in the wheels.

Edited by johnnytifosi

Cause rebrickable is not allowed display lego logo on moc image I need to remove it on my image. I upload original set's picture too so how about try to compare both :)

Both my model's image resized to fit on rebrickable.

1000x800.jpg

8480a.jpg

1000x8002.jpg

8480b.jpg