Sunil766

Help me complete my 5988 The Temple of Anubis

One of my favorite childhood sets. Re-discovered in an old crate in my mom's basement, among many other bricks and pieces, some highly valued, some mere rubble. Feeling like the adventurer I was when I brought the missing Lego boxes to my place when Covid kicked off, I started cleaning everything and sorted to get my most precious sets together. I was more than happy to be able to put together the grand train station 2150 (to complement my dearest trains which I kept separately) and the large Diving Expedition Explorer 6560.

However the Temple of Anubis 5988 proved to be a much bigger challenge. I see that A LOT is missing. My mom is tired of re-re-assuring me that there's REALLY no more lego at her place.

Please please help me find out:

1. How far away am I of completing this set (is it even worth it...?)

2. What's the easiest and quickest way to identify missing pieces and calculate how much that would realistically cost me?

(optional 3. How much is the below worth if I wanted to abort the mission and sell the pieces?)

Let's ignore the lack of black/blue/red pieces. I have many of them stored separately.

I am thankful for every single reply!

Spoiler
Lego Pharaoh's Temple 5988

Spoiler

Spoiler

You can pull the instructions for free from Lego's website. Cross refence the parts with the part list in the instructions and then yeah. Bricklink. Those parts you have could fetch a pretty penny. They only just re-released the hieroglyph columns this year.

I do know bricklink, but that doesn't mean I know the fastest and easiest way for a bulk comparison and order (cost) preview. 

However I will check all parts next weekend and then see how I can cleverly group the missing ones. 

On 11/20/2022 at 9:43 PM, Jeff of Clubs said:

Those parts you have could fetch a pretty penny

This is more like the information I was looking for, if you can make a rough guesstimation...? (maybe even both ways - the parts I have vs the parts I need to fill up)

Thanks both

Well, the fastest and easiest way to know what parts that are missing from this set and their expected price are in any case that you use Bricklink. Its hopeless to guess prices for some rare printed parts in this set are pretty high, and they are missing from your set judging from your pictures. I guess you know that there are price statistics available as well for each brick. 

Thanks all for your comments. I am following up for the silent readers' benefit :-) 

It seems the quickest way to bulk buy on bricklink is to add all parts to your newly created wanted list, in the right qty and colour, and then click "buy all".

Bricklink apparently sorts the stores by "highest number of unique lots" (meaning types of bricks) and it is on oneself to compare number of bricks per store, price per brick at each store (can vary greatly!), and required number of stores to match the whole wanted list, adding to the shipping&handling costs. 

This is a rather manual / "trial and error" task and certainly the trickiest part of the whole process IMHO. 

I found quite some more basic bricks in my portfolio but still had to order 80 unique lots from 3 shops + 1 ebay order. 

All in all I paid more than 120€ for the missing parts which is a mediocre deal in comparison to some 160€ used complete sets, but I had fun in the process and luckily the rare pieces are in amazing quality, especially since they're ~30 years old. Everything has been washed and I can't wait to build the set. 

Wishing you all the best of fun bricking on. 

IMG_20230102_180514