zinnn

Lego Musical Instruments - info, new moulds & your wishlist

I don't think there's a thread about musical instruments yet (if there is, please merge my thread), so wanted to start one, mostly to hear about stuff you'd like Lego to create.

The Collectible Minifigures series introduced some amazing new moulds, but I'd love to see concertina and/or accordion introduced - they'd be great for Pirate themed setups.

Also I'd like to see a trumpet reissue, the Wild West one is great, but needs an update to bring the prices down. The clown's horn that was released in CMF series 1 doesn't work for bands. Tuba or trombone could be great, CMF series could have a whole marching band edition.

Edited by zinnn

What do we have so far? You mention the Wild West "trumpet" (actually a bugle, though at minifig accessory scale the difference is probably negligible), and without checking Bricklink I can think of:

Woodwinds:

• Saxophone
  • Flute (3L or 4L bar with printing)
  • Bagpipes

Strings:

• Acoustic guitar
  • Electric guitar (a few different shapes and several print designs)
  • Banjo
  • Violin
  • Lute

Misc:

• Keytar

And that's about it as far as it goes with specific pieces. I think one of the old Islanders sets had a printed round tile to represent an animal-skin drumhead, and I seem to recall a 1 x 2 tile with a piano keys print. Which leads to the point that larger (i.e. not handheld) instruments tend to be brick-built, like the gorgeous pipe organ in the recent Haunted House set.

To have a proper marching band, we'd definitely need some brass (tuba/sousaphone, trombone, trumpet/cornet, French horn), and expanded woodwinds (clarinet, oboe, bassoon, a flute/piccolo done in silver), and also some drums set up on body harnesses--a bass drum and a set of snares. Glockenspiel and portable marimba/xylophone are also found in marching bands. For an orchestra, we need the brass, the woodwinds, the drums not on harnesses, and some larger strings--cello, bass fiddle, harp. Although a stationary drum set could, of course, be piece-built.

I'd also like to have a lyre or other small handheld harp.

There was this old thread from 2013 when guitars started appearing...

There have been some great parts in CMF since. I thought Friends might have been able to introduce more.

There's also a microphone!

A look through the vidyo (sp) theme might turn up more - I think there was a DJ booth or turntable too.

4 hours ago, Karalora said:

I missed one yesterday...maracas! We can put that under percussion.

Oh yeah the maracas was a surprisingly cute and awesome addition. Which also made me realise a tambourine would be cool to have too! 

The next modular building is believed to be a Pizzeria/Jazz Club.  Typically these sets do not introduce new moulds, however a jazz club could potentially give us a new instrument.  In the other thread, there was mention of some possibilities such as a trombone or string bass.  Although, there is a possibility that the musician will be a solo saxophone player.  Unfortunately, this would not advance the cause very well.  

On 11/19/2022 at 3:10 PM, AFOLguy1970 said:

The next modular building is believed to be a Pizzeria/Jazz Club.  Typically these sets do not introduce new moulds, however a jazz club could potentially give us a new instrument.  In the other thread, there was mention of some possibilities such as a trombone or string bass.  Although, there is a possibility that the musician will be a solo saxophone player.  Unfortunately, this would not advance the cause very well.  

Unless, CMF would introduce a minifigure with a new musical instrument. 

Only today I found out that there is a tambourine piece. I just wish there was a reddish-brown variant, instead of this pink one:

15535pb08.png

I'd like ALL the saxophones! Soprano, alto, tenor and bari lol.

But my best suggestion would be a trombone.

27 minutes ago, The Brick Boss said:

Has there been a flute piece? 

Well not a new mold but it’s a printed bar as a flute that Faun came with in CMF Series.